Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Price Increase on Royal Pedic coming May 1st

Default Price Increase on Royal Pedic coming May 1st

Arrived in the mail today...fairly significant across-the-board price increase from Royal Pedic, more than I would like to see. So, if you think you want one of these beds, you have until May 1st to get one at current pricing from the dealer of your choice.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

aluebcke Guest

Default Re: Price Increase on Royal Pedic coming May 1st

Hi Duane,
    We're looking into getting a new mattress and want one that will last. I think I read in a post that you recommend Shifman as well as Royal Pedic. With the price increase for Royal Pedic (wasn't there one in March, too), do you think they're getting too expensive? Would you look into Shifman also?

I have horrible allergies, and read that an all cotton mattress is great for people like me. Is this true?

Does it make sense to purchase a mattress and box spring set from you and have it shipped to MI? (I assume we'll need a new box spring.) Or is it they too costly to ship?

Our current mattress is about 16 years old, and there are indentations where we sleep. So we definitely need a new one.

Are there a lot of options? My husband wants this done quickly.

Shifman makes a great product in their upper series line, I used to carry them a long time ago. Royal Pedic will still be considerably less, however.

Their price increase goes into effect May 1st, its the first one since March 1, 2010.

Correct, All Cotton bedding is usually MUCH better for folks with allergies as dust mites are not attracted to it like they are with conventional foam beds. The other big plus is the mattresses have appx double the lifespan of a mass produced Simmons-Sealy-Serta, etc. Most bedding is shot at the 7 to 8 year mark, I replace them at the 16 year time frame.

I ship them all over the country, delivery is included in the price no matter if you're 3 miles from the store or 3,000. Some remote areas will require a delivery surcharge (Upper Maine, Upper Michigan, Montana, North Dakota, etc)

On Royal Pedic, everything is build around the base cotton set, and that's 80 % of what I sell (and that's what my wife and I and our two teens sleep on. To give you an idea of pricing on that:

Queen Set (box and matt): $ 2,884 delivered (will go to $ 3,496 on May 1st)
    King Set (box & mattress): $ 3,798 delivered (will go to $ 4,468 on May 1st)

Now that's a firm bed. Some of my customers will add a topper to that for more plushness. If you do, the 3" is the most popular, and a few go with the 4". I've never even sold a 5" one, however. These are loose toppers that you can easily put on and off the bed. I have a 3" topper for my own use, but after using it for 8 years, my wife and I took it off about 2 years ago and now its in the basement, we decided we liked firmer.

3" Topper in QN $ 985 (going to $ 1,093) and KG $ 1,163 (going to $ 1,280)

As you can see, the price increase is significant! Takes about 3 weeks from time of order to delivery, they're all handmade in California (CA residents must pay sales tax, even if ordering from my store in VA)
    Duane Collie

aluebcke Guest

Wow, that is a big price increase. We'll definitely try to decide before May 1.

I think I read that you can't buy them on specs, and have to actually lay on them. Your thoughts on that....our closest dealer is in Chicago, and my husband hates the crowds.

I checked Royal Pedic's website and have a few questions.

If the standard cotton mattress is very firm, would it make better sense to go to the pillow-top mattress (rated a 3/medium for firmness) or quilt-top (rated a 2/a bit firmer) vs purchasing the standard cotton mattress with the topper? My husband likes a firm mattress, but I need something softer....we'll most likely need to compromise to a mid-range firmness.

What are your thoughts on their latex mattresses? They have a latex quilt-top (firmness rating 4/plush...may be too soft) and a latex mattress (firmness of 2, but you can add a topper to take it to a 4). I've never heard of a latex mattress, so what are the benefits and should I consider one? Are they much more expensive than the cotton versions?

We need a queen size.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by aluebcke; 04-22-2012 at 11:32 AM.

And you thought I was kidding on 'significant price increases'!

Well, you can't buy a bed on a spec sheet. And truth be told, most any new bed from any maker is going to feel good when its new, with the exception of Memory Foam beds (they sleep hot), Air Chamber beds (Dial-by-number) and Waterbeds. What separates the good beds from the middle of the road ones is how long they maintain that 'new bed' feel. Most bedding slowly fails internally, and gives up support as the materials inside compress and lose their resiliency. For your average mass produced bed that happens in about 5 years. The Royal Pedic will go 3x longer to the 15 year mark.

I like removable pillow tops, rather than ones sewn onto the bed, for a couple of reasons. 1) you can remove the pad when doing mattress rotations, get a lot of the weight off the bed, and 2) If you like to change the feel of the bed, you can take it on and off, and 3) it can be added at a later date and UPS shipped. My wife and I started with a Royal Pedic with no pad....then 8 years later bought the 3" topper and used that for four years, then removed it and we're back on the basic bed for the past three years. I replace the mattress on my R.P every 15 years so an on my second one (I don't replace the RP box springs after the initial buy).

Latex doesn't sell at the same rate. About 10 cottons for every latex. The cotton bed is noticeably firmer. You don't need toppers on the latex series, they're soft enough. Yes, they do cost about 20 % more because its real latex (80/20) not just all synthetic like many are.
    Duane Collie

aluebcke Guest

Thanks Duane.

I was checking the Royal Pedic site again, and if I'm reading right, the toppers are Latex. So I'm guessing I'd get the benefits of the latex mattress (softer, good for allergies) with the cotton mattress/latex topper combination and it would be less expensive. Thoughts?

What is the cost of the 4" topper in queen size? Do many people buy the 4" vs the 3"? The Royal Pedic site rates the cotton mattress a firmness of 3 with the 3" topper and 4 with the 4" topper. Have you tried each one out? If so, did you notice any difference?

You have good points about the pillowtop mattresses...I hadn't thought of those. Makes sense, so I'm leaning toward the cotton mattress with a topper.

Correct on the toppers.

I almost never sell the 4" topper, the 3" is much more popular and that's all I think most folks need. I don't have a price sheet at home for RP, so i can't tell you the cost differences as I type this, but its not a lot.

I advise a lot of customers to just get the basic bed at first and try it for three weeks. If its too firm, then you can order the topper and it ships UPS (Queen or less). That way you don't have to buy something if you don't need it!
    Duane Collie

aluebcke Guest

Thanks Duane.

Can you please give me a price on the standard Royal Pedic latex mattress? And on the 4" topper?

With the price increase, we will most likely get a mattress and topper together. I don't like a firm mattress, so am 90%+ sure we will need the topper.

We're off to Chicago Saturday to try them out....I found a dealer with the all-cotton (with a 3" or 4" topper) and the standard latex. (Not many dealers....so we're lucky they have what we're considering.)

At this point, it doesn't seem to make sense to buy the latex mattress with the topper....so we're leaning toward the all-cotton with the topper. Unless the latex is perfect without the topper.

Thanks,
    Amanda

Amanda,

If you go with the latex, skip the topper and get the quilted top model - will give you almost the same thing and save height and cash:

Current pricing in Queen:

7-Zone Latex (base model): $ 3,802
    4" Topper: $ 1,238
    Quilt Top Latex: $ 4,234

When you try a bed out, try to relax and also have your husband lay in the bed next to you. You want to check not only comfort as much as you can, but how much the bed 'rolls' if your partner is restless one night, etc. Also check the side edges, you want them to be firm. No squishy side edges...they should be supportive if you sit on the bed.

The real trick with the Royal Pedics is how long they maintain their performance. You won't see much degradation from new as the years go by - and that's what you want. Good luck!
    Duane Collie

aluebcke Guest

Hey Duane. I just sent you a PM...we're going with the all cotton with the 3" topper.

We tried out the latex, all cotton with 3", all cotton with 4", and all cotton alone. The plain cotton mattress is very, very firm. Even my husband, who likes a firm mattresss, wanted something softer.

The latex was a little less firm, but still too firm for me (although my husband would have picked it as his first choice).

I really liked the 4" (and now my daughter wants a new mattress with the 4"), but the 3" is soft enough and gives us more of a compromise.

Thanks for your help on this purchase! I think this is the fastest large purchase I've ever made, which made my husband happy. No 6 months of research on this one.