Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cocktail Ottomans

Superfluous Guest

Default Cocktail Ottomans

What are people's thoughts on cocktail ottomans?

Assuming you're dealing with a dark brown leather sofa such as the H&M Rugby:

Do you go with a matching leather ottoman?
    Contrasting Leather?
    Contrasting Fabric?
    How large? It seems like most ottomans aren't wide enough to look right in front of wide sofas.
    Is a proper table a better idea than the ottoman?

Specifially, what style ottoman would go well with the H&M Rugby in dark brown?

Default Re: Cocktail Ottomans

I think cocktail ottomans are in large part replacing coffee tables in a lot of areas. Reason being because they are excellent to put one's feet up on, and also to use as auxiliary seating for larger than normal crowds, etc. For sectionals, I tend to like 40" square. For average sofas, 28" x 42" or so is about right. I'd always go with leather - at least a leather top, due to wearability and wipe n' go if something spills on it.

This model works pretty well for a Rugby:
    http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=1543
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Superfluous Guest

Thanks Duane. Does the ottoman being half the width of the couch not look weird in front of it?

I don't think so, a lot of folks here on the forum have that setup...maybe a few will chime in and share their thoughts.
    Duane Collie

bubbaonline Guest

I think half the width, or just slightly longer is about right...

We looked at a Stickley leather sofa.. 100"... They offered a matching cocktail ottoman that was 65"... way, way to big for that sofa... Once you factor in the sofa arms, you didn't have much room to move around the ottoman to sit down.. (100 - 65 / 2 = 17.5" minus the arm width)

Which brings me to another observation... 18.5" seems like an ideal ottoman height, but I notice that once I sit down on a normal sofa, my legs still feel as they are higher than my butt.. which is what I'm trying to avoid..

Any comments on that?

I find that I am most comfortable on an ottoman that has a 2.5" or 3" drop from the seat height, but a lot of that is simply personal preference. Lately I'm even preferring the smaller 'Boot Stools' over ottomans for lounge chairs, etc.
    Duane Collie

bubbaonline Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    I find that I am most comfortable on an ottoman that has a 2.5" or 3" drop from the seat height, but a lot of that is simply personal preference. Lately I'm even preferring the smaller 'Boot Stools' over ottomans for lounge chairs, etc.
    I agree.. It's hard to find a 16' - 17" ottoman.. We have a cheaper sectional in the lower level that has a nice square ottoman that is just 16".. I find that is perfect (but, it came with the set)..

I like the boot stools, but that doesn't work real well with a sofa... especially if you aren't after that "western" look..

I like the Campaign Cocktail Ottoman but worry that it may be too tall for comfort paired with an Austin set.
    I would think when you sit on a sofa you must sink down a few inches. Will my feet be higher than my rear?

It is hard to make decisions without being able to try the pieces together.
    Can anyone with this ottoman reply as to the comfort level and the height of the pieces they have it paired with?

I like a 2" to 3" drop for comfort on ottomans, from the seat chair height. I do NOT like ones that are even with the sofa or chair seat.
    Duane Collie

crunch10 Guest

Duane. Do you think that an H&M Ascari bench (#5262/5263) would be appropriate for use as an ottoman for a H&M AVA sofa.