Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for quality

toli Guest

Default Looking for quality

After having my inlaws over for Christmas, I now have a broken recliner. I have purchased 2 recliners in the last 10 years and do not want to buy another one 5 years from know. After surfing the web in search of quality made furniture it appears that Hancock and Moore provide some of the best furniture you can buy. I have tried to find a local retailer here in St. Louis, MO but have not had any luck. I am not opposed to buying over the internet but am hesitant to purchase a recliner without first sitting in it. I was also wondering if anyone knows about how much one of these is going to cost. Just by looking at pictures, I was thinking about the Abbott, Eddington, or Kilby loungers. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by toli View Post
    After having my inlaws over for Christmas, I now have a broken recliner. I have purchased 2 recliners in the last 10 years and do not want to buy another one 5 years from know. After surfing the web in search of quality made furniture it appears that Hancock and Moore provide some of the best furniture you can buy. I have tried to find a local retailer here in St. Louis, MO but have not had any luck. I am not opposed to buying over the internet but am hesitant to purchase a recliner without first sitting in it. I was also wondering if anyone knows about how much one of these is going to cost. Just by looking at pictures, I was thinking about the Abbott, Eddington, or Kilby loungers. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    You may be able to replace that mechanism in the recliner (assuming its the recliner mechanism that broke). If its a Leggett and Platt mechanism (used on most USA made recliners) its fairly straightforward to do so.

I know there is an H&M dealer in St. Louis, but can't recall the name. Give a call to H&M and they will tell you who carries their product. Price Range? You can pull up the Town and Country price list under the LEATHER forum and compare the numbers to the models on H&M's website. That's going to be your best pricing...most fall in the $ 1,200 to $ 2,000 price range that are in that grouping. If not in that promo, them plan on $ 1,600 to $ 2,400 as a range.

You can still break the mechanism in an H&M, and they all can wear out in time, but they are replaceable when outside the warranty period for about $ 125 or so. Recliners by their very nature cannot be as durable as a stationary chair. You have everything moving on a recliner and its all tied together with the mechanism as the 'anchor' of the piece. Tilt Back Chairs, coupled with an Ottoman, are stronger and probably even more comfortable but it does mean buying two pieces of furniture.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

toli Guest

Thanks for the info but is much worse than a broken mechanism. The frame is cracked and the screws stripped out. If I do order one, how long would it be before I receive it and what is the main difference between the quality of leather that is available?

Yikes! Sounds like that one is indeed seen better days. I'm not used to seeing piece break frames and strip screws.

Production time can be as little as 3 weeks if you want something quickly, provided the frame and cover are in-stock. For a single recliner, the fastest way to ship is via Truck Line, but would need to have a commercial business to ship it to that does not require a call ahead notification, and you would have to haul it home. Otherwise I use Home Delivery Service, but they will be 2 to 3 weeks transit time once the piece is completed.

As to leather differences, its like going to Baskin-Robbins. So many flavors, colors, textures, that there is one to suit every taste and not a poor leather in the batch. You'd have to give me a couple of specific hides to compare and contrast, because while Baskin Robbins may have a measly 31 flavors, Hancock and Moore has 413 leathers that can be selected!
    Duane Collie

toli Guest

I had no idea there were so many choices. I did call H&M and there is one retailer in the St.Louis area that I am going to visit on Friday. Are local retailers competitively priced with internet sources? I would prefer to buy locally but my wife is making sure I stay within a certain range so I will buy over the internet if there is a significant difference. Also I saw on another post that there is usually a sale in February. Is that going to be the case this year and if it is, what is the discount. I figure if I am going to buy a 20 year piece of furniture I should do my due diligence and make sure I get exactly what I want.

I had no idea there were so many choices. I did call H&M and there is one retailer in the St.Louis area that I am going to visit on Friday. Are local retailers competitively priced with internet sources? I would prefer to buy locally but my wife is making sure I stay within a certain range so I will buy over the internet if there is a significant difference. Also I saw on another post that there is usually a sale in February. Is that going to be the case this year and if it is, what is the discount. I figure if I am going to buy a 20 year piece of furniture I should do my due diligence and make sure I get exactly what I want.
    Some are, some aren't! You can use the Town and Country price sheet I just posted here on the forum as a guide to see how your local dealer compares.

There is usually a 5% off sale in February to dealers than pay in terms. It applies to regular line goods only and not to the Town and Country items, which are already steeply discounted and never have additional discounts during a sale period.
    Duane Collie

toli Guest

Well, I just got back from the furniture store. They did not have either of the recliners I was looking to purchase but did have a few pieces to sit in. I was impressed with the seat cushion and the way it gently envelops your body. The 2 pieces I was looking at on H&M's website are: 7059 Abbott Lounger and 7061 Eddington Lounger. First off, can anyone tell me a major difference between the two. They look almost identical on the website. Secondly, I was wanting a quote on both pieces in class I and II leathers and what color and price the married covers are on both pieces. Shipping would be to St. Louis, MO 63042.
    Thanks for your help and insight Duane and it is a residential address. Also, I have 4 kids and use the recliner every evening and wanted to know which class of leather you would recommend and why.

Well, I just got back from the furniture store. They did not have either of the recliners I was looking to purchase but did have a few pieces to sit in. I was impressed with the seat cushion and the way it gently envelops your body. The 2 pieces I was looking at on H&M's website are: 7059 Abbott Lounger and 7061 Eddington Lounger. First off, can anyone tell me a major difference between the two. They look almost identical on the website. Secondly, I was wanting a quote on both pieces in class I and II leathers and what color and price the married covers are on both pieces. Shipping would be to St. Louis, MO 63042.
    Thanks for your help and insight Duane and it is a residential address. Also, I have 4 kids and use the recliner every evening and wanted to know which class of leather you would recommend and why.
    Big difference in the width on the two, the Abbott is quite a bit wider at 40" overall and picking up 1.5" in the inside width to 22".

The Abbott is in the Town and Country Program, so it can be purchased in Document Latte for $ 1,647. Or, any other Document for $ 1,821. Off the rack leathers its priced at:

$ 1,974 Grade 1
    $ 2,331 Grade 2

The Eddington:

$ 1,813 Grade 1
    $ 2,107 Grade 2

Shipping is not so hot on one unit. You have to pay the minimums! That means you can ship two recliners for the price of one...you get killed on shipping single pieces that are smaller than a sofa, sorry. Home Delivery Service would quote at $ 204 on a single recliner. (Two recliners would cost the same to ship).

Leather options? Obviously the Abbott in Document would be the way to go, its priced right and very durable. If I were to move out of that hide, I'd spring for Kipling in a Grade 2 as its much richer looking - but the kids might can stain it easier than Document.
    Duane Collie

toli Guest

Thank you for the quick response Duane. The quote I got from my local retailer was $2440 for the Abbott in non married Document. I don't mind paying a little more from a local store but 33% is a bit steep. I even told him I was going to check online and asked if he could do any better but he wouldn't budge on the price. I read on another thread that it you really can't see a difference in H&M's married vs non married but the price difference isn't that much to have the entire chair constructed in the US. Is it worth the extra money to go non married and how many colors are there in Document to choose from. I would like a darker color and am not opposed to Latte but would also like to know my other options. Is it possible to get color swatches sent to me? Thanks for everything Duane, I just wish you had a store in my area.

Thank you for the quick response Duane. The quote I got from my local retailer was $2440 for the Abbott in non married Document. I don't mind paying a little more from a local store but 33% is a bit steep. I even told him I was going to check online and asked if he could do any better but he wouldn't budge on the price. I read on another thread that it you really can't see a difference in H&M's married vs non married but the price difference isn't that much to have the entire chair constructed in the US. Is it worth the extra money to go non married and how many colors are there in Document to choose from. I would like a darker color and am not opposed to Latte but would also like to know my other options. Is it possible to get color swatches sent to me? Thanks for everything Duane, I just wish you had a store in my area.
    Here's how that all works. Document and Cavalier hides are sourced in China, that's where the tannery is located. H&M keeps all the colors of those hides in-stock in Hickory, NC. On certain colors and frames, they also have them marked, cut and sewn in China as well, and they are called "Married Cover", which means they 'marry' a pre-sewn cover to a frame made here in the USA. It saves on labor, and the savings is passed on. So, you can order the Abbott in any other Document but the married cover color and it will be 100% made in the USA using a Chinese leather. And there are 27 colorways of Document. I cannot tell the difference in H&M Married Cover, and I look at them pretty hard when they come out of the box.

Yes, samples I can get to you, simply Private Message me (PM) with your address and I'll have them sent to you from H&M.

I used to live in St. Louis (Graduated Kirkwood High School) but don't think I'll be moving back! I am priced more aggressively and will try to maintain that price structure, but folks on the forums have to help me out by keeping the orders rolling in. Without volume, the low prices can't be maintained.
    Duane Collie