Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lounger versus Recliner

native Guest

Default Lounger versus Recliner

Okay, I am really showing my ignorance here, but what is the difference between a lounger and a recliner? Name only or is it functional? None of the pictures online show the chairs in a reclined position, so that's been no help. I'm looking for something that functions like the Austin High Back Tilt Back, but hoping for more back height.
    Thanks.
    (And you thought I'd go away once I got my Monterey, didn't you Duane?)

Default Re: Lounger versus Recliner

HA!

Well, in the 'old days' a Recliner was a motion chair activated by moving a lever on the outside of the chair. A Lounger was a newer style mechanism that activated by just pushing back on the arms.

Today, the terms are used interchangeably (like Pop and Soda) but there are very few lever-mechanism chairs left.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

native Guest

Okay, but both bring up the feet, right? So, I need a press back, tilt back, varitilt, or some other version where the back reclines without the feet moving. Obvious choice is the Austin High Back Tilt Back, but I'm still wondering about whether therer is enough seat-to-back height for my 6'7" hubby.

So, what can you tell me about the TaylorKing Badda Bing L914PM? In looking at the specs it has a seat-to-back of of 23", where the Austin only has 20.5".

Also, any experience with BY Tabor 1621? It says it has seat-to-bck of 22.5"

I know they will all sit differently, which will affect the actual seat-to-back height ratio. Hoping you might have a guess.

Thanks.

Correct!

Of the tilt backs, the Austin is the largest (tallest) but I can say for sure that 6 ' 7" is going to work in one. My son is 6' 4" and he fits one fine, but your husband is even taller!

I've not had the TK unit in the store to try out....sorry!
    Duane Collie

native Guest

The one and only H&M dealer in Idaho actually finally has an Austin High Back Tilt Back on the floor. Of course, it's on the second floor and the building has no elevator they will let us use so we have to wait for them to move it to the first floor, but at least they finally have one that tall husband can try. If it actually works, what are the chances of getting it done up in Pullman Brick Burnished to match the Monterey loveseat? If not that, what would you suggest that would look good? Thanks Duane, as always, for your exceptional customer service!

Quote Originally Posted by native View Post
    The one and only H&M dealer in Idaho actually finally has an Austin High Back Tilt Back on the floor. Of course, it's on the second floor and the building has no elevator they will let us use so we have to wait for them to move it to the first floor, but at least they finally have one that tall husband can try. If it actually works, what are the chances of getting it done up in Pullman Brick Burnished to match the Monterey loveseat? If not that, what would you suggest that would look good? Thanks Duane, as always, for your exceptional customer service!
    They have none left on the Pullman Brick Burnished, sorry! I just called on it...

That leather comes and goes from H&M, its a leather out of Italy that becomes available about once every two years for some reason. I don't know all the details on sourcing it, but when it does come up H&M buys all they have and its usually gone in a blink as the dealers snap it all up quickly. Closest leather to it that is regular mainline is probably Imperial Whiskey Burnished, which I think will come pretty close in tone and texture.

I do have a Teton Sofa still in the box in Pullman Brick Burnished...but that's a far piece from an Austin High Back Chair!
    Duane Collie

native Guest

And I would love the Teton Sofa, but I have nowhere to put it. Leaving room for a wheelchair to maneuver takes up a lot of space! I'll keep you posted on whether the Austin fits or not. If it does, we can dive into leathers in earnest.

native Guest

Duane -
    Visited the local H&M store to try the Austin High Back Tilt Back. Still thinking about it. But the store owner mentioned that they could take a recliner like the Big Boy, disable the foot motion, but still keep the reclining motion of the back. Would that really work?

Quote Originally Posted by native View Post
    Duane -
    Visited the local H&M store to try the Austin High Back Tilt Back. Still thinking about it. But the store owner mentioned that they could take a recliner like the Big Boy, disable the foot motion, but still keep the reclining motion of the back. Would that really work?
    HA! Well, I suppose you can muck up anything with a kludge but why would you want to on a new piece? I don't know of the "BIG BOY" recliner, but most mechanisms are 1-piece articulating and you can't really separate the footrest portion from what I've seen unless you get a hacksaw out. Sounds rather odd for a dealer to promote modifying a mechanical mechanism on a brand new piece....But even then, you're sitting atop a recliner pre-fab spring set, whereas on the H&M Austin you have a genuine 8-way-hand-tied suspension in the tilt back units, which is still considered the gold standard of suspension construction.
    Duane Collie

native Guest

Sorry Duane. He calls it a Big Boy, but I looked up the number and it is the H&M Royal High Leg Recliner. I thought is was odd that he suggested it also and I wasn't sure the back would still work correctly, but you can't beat the back height!