Thread: Repurposing outdoor curtains

regalia Guest

Default Repurposing outdoor curtains

I bought some outdoor curtains a while back, and after time+the forces of nature, they no longer look like they should be hanging up. However, I feel like throwing away so much fabric would be a waste, and I'm wondering how I can re-purpose them around the home. They're roughly 54" by 84", and I wonder if it would be difficult to convert them into window curtains or outer shower curtains. Any tips and advice would be much appreciated, thanks!

I don't have a picture of the curtains atm, but here's the best example of what it looks like: example

Default Re: Repurposing outdoor curtains

basic curtains or shower curtains are really pretty simple if you have a sewing machine. The library will have a book with step by step instructions, but basically you hem three sides, sew a tube at the top and slide it over a curtain rod. For a shower curtain, you sew the same hems, sew the same tube and then put button holes in the tube. The shower rings go through the button holes.

Remember, measure twice or thrice and cut once.

3. 05-25-2012

4. 07-06-2012

albertgeorge Guest

Default Re: Repurposing outdoor curtains

Check out the following:

1. Turn the curtains into an outside shower curtain that splits in the center. Line the inside with a plastic shower curtain liner to protect the fabric.
    2. Use the curtains in a child’s playroom. Make a tent out of them for children to share with their friends.
    3. Develop a vanity skirt out of old curtains to cover open storage, equipment, supplies or trash.
    4. Make a tablecloth or table topper out of a beautiful curtain fabric.
    5. Make place mats out of heavy curtains. Line with batting or other heavyweight material or back with felt or foam. Use the remaining fabric, unlined, to make matching napkins or a table runner.

6. 10-18-2012