Thread: Specific Fabric Grade Questions

Wirasi Guest

Default Specific Fabric Grade Questions

Could someone (drcollie perhaps) tell me the fabric grade and fiber composition for the following list of Taylor King fabrics? Any thoughts or knowledge regarding durability of any of these?

Barossa Mandarin
    Oran Ocean
    Sandro Acorn (I see this one is 78% Rayon 22% Polyester)
    Roosevelt Seafoam

Thanks!

Default Re: Specific Fabric Grade Questions

GRADE 48: Barossa Mandarin
    GRADE 34: Oran Ocean
    GRADE 26: Sandro Acorn
    GRADE 36: Roosevelt Seafoam

Sorry, I don't have a content spec sheet. Would take hours to manually locate each fabric to get the content off my sample rack.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Wirasi Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    GRADE 48: Barossa Mandarin
    GRADE 34: Oran Ocean
    GRADE 26: Sandro Acorn
    GRADE 36: Roosevelt Seafoam

Sorry, I don't have a content spec sheet. Would take hours to manually locate each fabric to get the content off my sample rack.
    Thanks for the information!

I get questions from my customers about fabric grades every week. There is a general assumption that the higher the grade the better the fabric is.

Actually the grades relate mostly to cost. The more a manufacturer pays for a fabric the higher the grade. Fabric grades have nothing to do with durability, stain-resistance or any other individual feature of the fabric. The lowest grade fabrics can often be more durable than the highest grade fabrics.

Also some fabrics are better for particular uses regardless of grade. For example, thin lower grade cottons can be more suitable for use on slipcovers than high grade synthetics that have no "stretch" to them.

Some very expensive fabrics can be very difficult to work with, meaning it is very difficult to tailor the piece well.
    Occasionally I will get in expensive new fabrics that look great only to have my production manager tell me that they need to have an additional backing added before they can be used, otherwise there is a risk they could begin unraveling within a short time in the customer's home. We once got in a 100% cotton twill that looked and felt similar to dozens of other cotton twills, but it had a weird diagonal stretch to it that just looked terrible when we tried to make up a sofa with it.

In general if a fabric looks good and feels good it will last for quite a while as long as you take care of the furniture. If you have a home with kids or pets who are going to abuse the furniture you might prefer a good low to mid-grade microfiber. For pure longevity you can't beat leather.

Jeff Frank
    Simplicity Sofas
    Last edited by simplyjeff; 05-30-2012 at 01:45 PM.

Wirasi Guest

Thanks Jeff. I have read almost every post in the fabric threads of the forum and appreciate that drcollie and you (and others) try to make sure folks understand that there is no correlation between fabric grades and fabric quality and/or durability.

I stumbled across this forum while searching for information about furniture quality. Until just a few short days ago I knew absolutely zilch about furniture. I'm in a unique situation that dictates a specific budget and a set time frame to choose furniture and I'm trying to be a quick study on the subject so I can get the most bang for the buck. Thankfully my dearth of knowledge issue is being quickly remedied here and I'm truly pleased to have found this impressively valuable forum.
    Last edited by Wirasi; 05-30-2012 at 08:32 PM.