Thread: Shopping for Furniture on a Budget

Jesse Holmz Guest

Default Shopping for Furniture on a Budget

I'm new to shopping for furniture, and I'm still in the researching phase. I've gotten close to picking up some stuff on craigslist but whenever I research the pieces, I end up feeling like it's a waste of money. I'm just looking for some living room pieces at the moment, but I'd rather spend my money on something decent than having to buy something else later on. Where should I begin? I'm in Upstate, NY if that makes a difference.

Default Re: Shopping for Furniture on a Budget

You've come to the right forum. As evidenced by what you see on Craigslist, most people don't buy well made furniture. Furniture is one of the few things that get better looking, more comfortable and longer lasting the more you spend. There are many responses to posts like yours in this forum. If you are really on a tight budget, compile a list of reputable brands and keep your eye on craigslist. I find using a tool like ifttt.com is very helpful as you can receive a text message the instant a matching ad is posted.

Jesse Holmz Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gabardine View Post
    You've come to the right forum. As evidenced by what you see on Craigslist, most people don't buy well made furniture. Furniture is one of the few things that get better looking, more comfortable and longer lasting the more you spend. There are many responses to posts like yours in this forum. If you are really on a tight budget, compile a list of reputable brands and keep your eye on craigslist. I find using a tool like ifttt.com is very helpful as you can receive a text message the instant a matching ad is posted.
    What brands should I be looking for? Is there a good resource for that?

Duane is the host of this forum, and also runs a furniture store. He regards what he sells as some of the best brands. Hancock & Moore (who also make Councill and Jessica Charles), Bradington-Young see his links above for more. North Carolina seems to be the state that makes the highest quality furniture. I'm up in Canada, and those NC brands are very hard to come by here (seems to cost twice the price as down there).

habs88 Guest

The brands Duane carry are top line and expensive. His pricing is very good and service even better. With that said, this is expensive furniture. I am in my mid 30's and started out clueless purchasing junk recliners and sofas from Raymour and Flanagan and other large stores carrying low end brands. Part of this was not knowing any better and part of it was not having 2k-3k to spend on one sofa. The cost of ownership overtime makes these higher end brands just as affordable as buying low end and replacing every 5 years. The high end sofas will remain comfortable for many years too. The problem is the up front cost of the better product is tough to budget. I took a splash into this logic last year and so far so good. Time will tell if I see the reality of what I have researched but i remain confident plus the austin high back tilt back chair is a dream to sit in. If you read through this forum you will find that Bradington Young offers some value as well as Taylor King through their American Pride program. Best of luck.

Jesse Holmz Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gabardine View Post
    Duane is the host of this forum, and also runs a furniture store. He regards what he sells as some of the best brands. Hancock & Moore (who also make Councill and Jessica Charles), Bradington-Young see his links above for more. North Carolina seems to be the state that makes the highest quality furniture. I'm up in Canada, and those NC brands are very hard to come by here (seems to cost twice the price as down there).
    Based on these brands, there's no way I could afford anything like that.. It's way beyond my price range. Do you guys have any recommendations for something mid-range that won't be a complete waste of money? I'm looking for some sort of sofa/loveseat or sofa/chair set.

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...Slider-Celadon

High quality promotion at a mid-grade price. PM for prices, cannot post them publicly.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.