Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on Bradington-Young Recliners

JudyKay Guest

Default Advice on Bradington-Young Recliners

Sat in and ordered two of these custom made chairs but in an upholstery fabric from the furniture store:

http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/a...rniture002.jpg

The chairs are Bradington Young #7411. I fit in the leather chairs in the store. The chair I sat in swiveled, glided, and reclined. I fit perfectly.
    The chairs were delivered last week and here is what they look like.

http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/a...rniture006.jpg

My feet don't touch the floor. They are about 4 inches too high. The furniture salesman came to my house to look at the chairs and understands that they are too tall/big for me. He can't explain why the same chair (but in fabric) was perfect in the storeroom for me but the ones I received are too big. The Bradington Young plant manager told my furniture guy that they stuff the upholstered chairs more than the leather ones. My furniture guy who has been selling furniture for 66 years said he didn't know that. However, I just can't believe it is stuffed 4 inches more than a leather one. What they want to do is switch out the swivel, glider, and recliner mechanism that I paid extra for with a wall-hugger mechanism which will make the chair sit about 1 inch lower and it will also sit at a different pitch but not be able to swivel or glide anymore. I would have to pay $175 more for each chair and then find someone to replace the mechanism. They are waiting on an answer from me. First, there is no guarantee that this is going to help and I would be taking a chance. My question is am I responsible for not getting the chairs that I thought I was buying? Again the ones in the storeroom are the same - swivel, glide, and recline but they were in leather - same style number 7411. They sold all those chairs so I can't go back there and sit in one to prove to myself and everyone else that I fit in those chairs. I don't feel like I should spend any more money on these chairs. What advise would you give me? Do you think the furniture store should accept responsibility and take the chairs back or do you think I am responsible because I am not happy with the chairs as I don't fit in them nor are any of the other women in the household going to it? It appears the measurements are correct according to the Bradington Young website but they are obviously not the same size that were in the storeroom when I sat in them to make sure I liked them.

AilFin Guest

Default Re: Advice on Bradington-Young Recliners

If you click on the photos at this link, they are bigger.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load...373304.html?14

JudyKay Guest

Here are the chairs we received. I am hoping they turn out larger for everyone to see.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Back of Chairs.jpg 
Views:	460 
Size:	77.1 KB 
ID:	3751Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Front of Chairs.jpg 
Views:	617 
Size:	64.5 KB 
ID:	3750

Specs change on a frame from year to year. Styles are always being tweaked and changed and some can grow over the years. And since all are handmade, there is a manufacturing tolerance that is disclosed. For Bradington Young its +/- 2" off the spec in the catalog/web site. So, if the chairs are in spec or within 2" of it, then the manufacturer is not going to do anything. It sounds from your post that the chairs ARE in spec, so that leads to the question of why the ones in the showroom are so far out....how old are they is my first question? If its the showroom spec that's off - its a store problem. If they are 4" off, then the right thing for the dealer to do is to take the chairs back and let you order something else fresh. Converting them to something they are not and asking you to pay more and find a worked to do it is ridiculous. Good luck
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

I came back to look at this thread one more time and have figured out what happened once I saw the photos on Garden Web. The original chair in leather was not configured the same as what you received. It was either a stationary unit with recline only - or a recliner/glider. It was not a swivel/rocker. The base mechanisms are different and the swivel/rocker unit has to be raised up to accommodate the mechanism clearances. Tts where you are getting the differences.

The selling store can easily look up the chair model in their invoices and compare it to the ones sold to you. I'm willing to bet they are two different model numbers. That's the first thing you need to find out.

Second, no decent dealer should leave you swinging in the breeze over a small order like two chairs. Ask them to take them back, and simply give you a store credit towards replacements. If they refuse to do that then contact me off list via PM and I will give you the personal email addy of the man in charge at Brad Young, but first try to resolve this at the store level.
    Duane Collie

JudyKay Guest

Thanks Duane! I will let you know what happens!

JudyKay Guest

I just spoke to the owner of the furniture store and he told me he can't take or swap the chairs out because of laws regarding upholstery or something like that. He said he doesn't want to lose his license. Anyways, he said he spoke to the president at Bradington-Young and they agreed to send me the wall-hugger mechanism at no charge but they dont know if it would lower it enough or not. Again, this makes my chairs no longer glide or swivel but they would recline. Then he said there's a problem with him having my chairs picked up and taken somewhere to have the mechanism changed out, the return of my chairs, and the freight charge he will have to incur to have the mechanisms returned to Bradington-Young. He says he wants to help me but I don't feel he is helping very much. I told him I didn't want to spend any more money on these chairs -- especially since we spent so much on them already. He gave the story that it is not his fault that Bradington-Young switches things out from time to time. He said they are always making changes or tweaking designs. What do you think? Are there such laws? Oh, and he said most girls (I am 52) just plop themselves up on the chair and curl up so it shouldn't matter if my feet are 4 iches from the floor. Doesn't he understand that you can't use the glider or swivel if your feet can't touch the floor?
    Last edited by JudyKay; 06-25-2012 at 06:01 PM.

HA! Well, there are laws on bedding that prohibit re-selling used bedding (even if its only been tried out one night). However, I am not aware on any with upholstered furniture and its done all the time (take back returns) on leather and upholstery both. I do it all the time for my customers. On something like what you experienced I would do it instantly and then deal with BY about it, you should not be involved in all that.

Check with your State Health Department and you can find out in one quick phone call, as they they are the regulating agency. And there is no "license to lose". At most a store would get a fine. Sounds like he's trying to wiggle off the hook - shame on him. His proposals are ridiculous and unethical. Refuse to do any of that - tell him to come get the chairs and refund your money. Period. Do this in writing, in a demand letter. Don't do it on the phone, or via email. Mail it and send it Certified with return receipt requested. That letter will put them on notice that you are not fooling around.

If they refuse, then its time to play hardball. Here's what you do:

1) If you paid for your order with a credit card - file a chargeback with your bank card holder. REASON: FAILURE TO DELIVER THE PRODUCT AS REPRESENTED. You have photos to prove it. That's all you need to do - and the chairs not need be returned for a successful chargeback. He can't win that one.

2) If you paid cash/check - file in your local Small Claims Court. That will get his attention. He will lose there, too - if he's foolish enough to allow it to go to court.

Dealers like that give the rest of us bad names. Don't put up with those shenanigans.
    Duane Collie

JudyKay Guest

Wow you are awesome. I do feel better that I might have some recourse. We paid cash for the upholstered chairs, the leather recliner and ottoman, and the leather sofa. I would hate to file in a small claims court but if that is what we have to do, we will do it. I will call the State Department of Health tomorrow first before going forward. I don't understand why the furniture owner is being difficult. He has been in the business for 66 years. I will keep you posted.

Well, the truth is a lot of customers just give up easily, and your dealer is making excuses to get you to give up. I'm sure its worked for him before. A lot of furniture stores are still on hard times and he may feel he can't afford to inventory the pair, so that's why he's putting it back on you. Its not right and you shouldn't stand for it.

Since you paid cash, here's what you need to do. Find out if the business is a corporation (most are). If it is, then call the State Corporation Commission and find out who the Registered Agent is for the Corporation. That's public information and whom you will be naming to receive the paperwork from the Small Claims suit. Then contact them one more time and tell them you have the name of the Registered Agent and will be filing papers unless they resolve this with a specified time period, and you demand a full refund. That should serve notice that you are not fooling around. If they continue to dance around the issue, then send the demand letter via Certified Mail and after 10 days or so, if they don't reply, go to the Courthouse and file on them.

Small Claims Court is VERY - VERY unpleasant for businesses. It drags them up in front of a courtroom with sometimes 100 people in the gallery, and is the worst possible exposure for a business. Every one in that room will never shop that store and the owner knows it. Judges tend to frown on businesses that don't resolve consumer issues as well. You keep your case clear and to the point, and can present your side in one or two minutes, especially with the photos you have. Always keep it short, concise, and on-track to the topic at hand. "You didn't get what you paid for" and that's it. Don't go into the swapping bases story and all that. The owner (defendant) will do that for you - and that will make judge see that he was trying to do an end run on you, and you will most likely win the case. Its fast and furious and all over in 4 to 5 minutes, usually.

I have never been sued in 28 years in business and I would never let things get to that point. Most issues are easily resolved with common sense. I have, however, been to Small Claims four times as a Plaintiff and its a system that does work when you've been taken advantage of. Perhaps my favorite was when a garage in Florida cross-threaded the lug bolts on a SAAB Turbo when I bought a set of new tires from them. In trying to fix the cross-threads, they damaged the front wheel hub and it had to be replaced for around $ 1,400. They refused to pay for the repairs, saying the car arrived in the garage with cross-threaded studs which was not true. I sued them in Small Claims in Broward County FL and won the judgement. They refused to pay. I then had the Sheriff padlock their business until they did. Let me tell you, they had a fit when that happened and had cash in my hand within two hours. Very satisfying.
    Duane Collie