Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice on Bradington-Young Recliners

Default Re: Advice on Bradington-Young Recliners

Quote Originally Posted by JudyKay View Post
    I just spoke to the owner of the furniture store and he told me he can't take or swap the chairs out because of laws regarding upholstery or something like that.
    We're you able to confirm whether or not the mechanism in the chair you tested was different fom what hey ordered, as Duane theorized?

JudyKay Guest

I talked to my husband (he is an accountant) and he told me we did pay for all of the furniture with a credit card. I just assumed we paid cash. However, he said doing the chargeback with the bank cardholder won't be easy either but I told him we have nothing to lose at this point. I am going to call the owner again tomorrow and tell him we no longer want the chairs because we did not receive the chairs we wanted. They are definitely different and it is not my fault. I will ask him to pick up the chairs and give us a store credit or refund us our money. I actually work for an environmental law firm so I do know something about registered agents and filing court documents.

JudyKay Guest

Reply to Aaron's post regarding the mechanism: No. But I do have a photo of the chair we thought we were buying with a tag that says glider, swivel, recliner. I didn't post that photo here. You would think the owner would have tried to find out that information so he could back his story up.

harland Guest

I've done a chargeback before. It wasn't much paperwork at all. After it's filed, the credit card company usually will try to negotiate with the merchant on a satisfactory resolution. Just stand fast to the fact that you didn't get what you thought you ordered.

Perfect. Chargebacks are easy for you to do as a consumer, and require a lot of work on the part of the merchant. You should still do the demand letter before beginning the chargeback proceedings - there is no rush. The Credit Card companies want to see good effort on the part of both parties to resolve the issue first, and they only recognize a paper trail - so you need to send the letter first. Keep it simple and short: 1) You did not get the product you ordered 2) The Merchant solution is for you to spend more money modifying the pieces to alter them 3) Only a refund or replacement of the product is acceptable. 4) Give the merchant 10 days to apply a credit and/or pick up the chairs.

If you don't hear back from the merchant after the demand letter than begin the chargeback, keeping a paper trail of all communication. Here's what happens :

The Merchant receives a chargeback notice in the mail along with a $ 35 fee debited from his account. The disputed funds are immediately taken from his account and applied to yours. The merchant has no say in that. Then he has 10 days to respond in writing why he contests the chargeback. If he does nothing, then the chargeback stands. You do not have to return the chairs.

If the merchant contests the chargeback, then once his documentation is received, the money is reversed and put back in his account, and yours is debited again. This is automatic. You then have 10 days to counter file your complaint in detail. If you don't, then the issue is over. If you do - the it goes to a decision committee who will review the charges and the paperwork and decide who is right. Their decision is binding and cannot be reversed. Note that no one actually even looks at the complaint until the Decision Committee gets it - its all automatic up to that point.

You still would have Small Claims you could pursue, however. From what you've told us here, however - I think you would prevail in the chargeback. The Merchant is a fool if he lets it go that far and get to that point. Good luck,
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

You don't have to physically return the chairs - but if you get a refund the vendor is entitled to pick them up.