Thread: Trestle Table from Estate Sale

ScottB Guest

Default Trestle Table from Estate Sale

Looking for a ballpark value on this table which I recently purchased at an Estate sale. Table measures 66" by 34" and top is 1.75 inches thick and is very HEAVY!! Believed to be either mahogany or walnut - solid wood. Nice piano finish. No blemishes. Didn't really need a table but the piece looked really unique and the price was reasonable so now I own it and not sure I want to keep it. Any information on value and type of table, period, etc would be much appreciated. Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PB270024.jpg 
Views:	350 
Size:	191.4 KB 
ID:	3761   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PB270022.jpg 
Views:	349 
Size:	191.1 KB 
ID:	3760   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PB270018.jpg 
Views:	373 
Size:	188.5 KB 
ID:	3759   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PB270025.jpg 
Views:	357 
Size:	191.8 KB 
ID:	3758   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PB270012.jpg 
Views:	336 
Size:	191.2 KB 
ID:	3757  

Default Re: Trestle Table from Estate Sale

The history of the trestle table is that it was a primitive, quick knock-down table that was used mostly by frontiersmen and carried in their wagons as they headed out West to open up the country. It was put together and taken down every single day on those trips. So by design it was simple, plain, and split into four pieces. Your table is interesting. It appears to have excellent board sets in the piece, but the surfaces are over-worked and over-finished. It was probably a pretty nice table until whomever re-finished it got carried away with their belt sander and sanding sealer. Its probably worth $ 400 to $ 800 as it sits. Before it was refinished, it was probably worth double that.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

ScottB Guest

Thank you Sir for that information! Pretty interesting. Guess I got a good deal for $70 which included 6 non-matching wooden chairs. The auctioneer referred to it as a 'pine table' which may account for the price but he obviously didn't spend a lot of time looking it over cause it sure as heck ain't Pine. All you would have to do is lift it to realize that. Guess now I'll have to decide what to do with it. Any idea how common these tables are? I haven't seen another but I'm not a furniture dealer or otherwise have much interest in wood...I prefer steel as in vintage cars. Thanks again...Great Site / Great Service.

Yes you did for $ 70. Its not pine, and it sort of looks like cherry to me. Don't think its walnut .....

If that's all solid wood - and it appears to be - the raw materials cost in a flamed hardwood like that are nearly $ 400 before you ever touch it with a sawblade. Stick it on EBAY, you'll get a buyer.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.