Thread: Was just given this desk, wondering where it was bought/who made it.

tomtom Guest

Default Was just given this desk, wondering where it was bought/who made it.

Hello to everybody here! I recently got this desk for free and was wondering where it was bought. I got the desk off of freecycle without any details, it just said come pick it up. It's very nice, cherry-ish in color despite how it appears in the picture. There are no markings at all on the desk. The parts appear to be made of solid wood, well at least the top and the base-- the legs I'm not sure. It was definitely a mass-produced piece of furniture because I can tell by the way I had to put it together. I'm not interested in the value for sales purposes, as I intend to keep it for a long time. The cat was not included. Any info or input would be awesome. My curiosity is killing me! Thanks in advance. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (1).jpg 
Views:	473 
Size:	195.0 KB 
ID:	3772

Default Re: Was just given this desk, wondering where it was bought/who made it.

That is a REALY - SERIOUSLY strange form! Can't beat the price - Free is good! Doubt its solid wood, most likely veneer or a laminate.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

tomtom Guest

Default Re: Was just given this desk, wondering where it was bought/who made it.

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    That is a REALY - SERIOUSLY strange form! Can't beat the price - Free is good! Doubt its solid wood, most likely veneer or a laminate.
    When you say strange form, do you mean like the desk itself is weird? Honestly, the thing is huge. It could double as a dining room table in my small apartment.

Ahhh..well....glutton for punishment, eh? Well since you didn't pay anything for it, the design is a nightmare. Proportions are off, the legs are someone's whacky interpretation of a Queen Anne leg that didn't work - the laser carving on the sides is cheezy and the whole toe-stubber, dust-catcher horizontal base is a design faux pax. Other than that......

I'd be tempted to saw off the entire base and put on some sheraton style turned legs on it - if the top was good. Then it would be a nice desk!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Am I in the minority when I say I rather like it and not just because it was free?

Riddle Guest

But Aaron, I love griffins and dragons! Alas, dusting - not so much.