Thread: Smith Brothers and Hancock and Moore

oceanmd Guest

Default Smith Brothers and Hancock and Moore

Good morning,

We are looking for a fabric sofa and a loveseat for our sun room, nice casual look, turned leg, on a smaller scale, sofa 90" max. We are considering Smith Brothers 5000 series sofa for around $2,200 depending on the fabric. (I don't know the price of loveseat). What sofa and loveseat would be similar in H&M? Where can I find H&M Town and Country program? How do these two manufacturers compare? I understand SB use spring system versus 8-way hand tied in H&M.

I would appreciate any suggestions and help.

Default Re: Smith Brothers and Hancock and Moore

The H&M Town and Country program is detailed (all except pricing) here on the forum. Scroll down to the LEATHER category and its a 'sticky' near the top.

H&M is top of the line, full pattern match, 8-way hand-tied construction over solid maple frames. You can buy cheaper, but you can't buy better than H&M.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

oceanmd Guest

Thank you Duane,

I looked over the program. A few questions: what is the price difference in percentage between a leather sofa and a fabric sofa, approximately, based on middle of the road leather and fabric, 3) in this program do September and Kodiak come in fabric as well? Those sofas look great in leather. Would you recommend trying and sitting on them in leather in the store, and then ordering in fabric? Will they have the same feel and comfort?
    Thank you
    Last edited by oceanmd; 07-06-2012 at 01:54 PM.

From the T&C Posting here on the forum:

In FABRIC:

* There are two groups of fabric, Group I and Group II. All Group I fabrics will be at the lowest price, Group II higher by about 15%. A List of all fabrics is included in the scan of the piece.

* In Fabric, the standard cushion will be Spring Down Seats and Fiber Plush Backs. Ultra Down seats and backs are available at no extra charge.

* In Fabric, nail trim is optional at additional cost.

* In Fabric, you can get Fringe and Cording on throw pillows and seat & back cushions at no extra charge, as well as contrasting welt trim.

So yes, virtually ever piece in T&C can be ordered in fabric. They will sit differently from leather however. Most fabric is more pliable and has more 'give' than leather, and the cushion make up is different. In leather, its DuPont Quaalux, in fabric, you get Spring Down. So while you can get a general sense of pitch and angles by sitting in a leather model, the fabric one will have somewhat of a different feel.

As far as pricing goes, PM me for quotes if you have material selected. For a rough idea, the # 9749 September in GR 1 fabric is only $ 392 less than the Married Cover Leather (Document Copper). Not a big difference considering leather has appx. 4x the service life of fabric.
    Last edited by drcollie; 07-06-2012 at 04:28 PM.
    Duane Collie

schalexandria Guest

Can you give me an idea of what a mid size couch in a good wearability fabric would cost of the H&M? and in leather? Just to see if I can even afford to go that route. Thanks Sandy

Hancock and Moore request I do not post prices in the public forum. However as a broad range, you'll be looking at $ 2,500 to $ 4,500 for several of the sofas. Some will be higher. PM me for pricing on specific frames and covers.
    Duane Collie

schalexandria Guest

Thanks, I haven't identified an exact sofa but am going to look. What can you tell me about the Norwalk sofas, Smith and Nichols, and Smith Brothers? I've looked at some of them but the fabric quality concerns me of their upholstery for wearability.

No idea on those other lines...one can't know the particulars of product not carried in the store.
    Duane Collie