Thread: How much leather is too much?

kperregaux Guest

Default How much leather is too much?

Hi: Looking for members opinions on how much leather is too much in one room. I am close to ordering 2 sundance sofas (1 110" and 1 84") in Kipling Cognac or Whiskey for my 22'x22' family room. We considered a sectional but everyone in the family always wants to be next to an arm so we decided to go for 2 sofas in an "L" configuration again. Now my husband wants to add a leather ottoman. Looking for opinions on whether this is too much leather in one room? If you added the ottoman would you order a different color. How big an ottoman for these large sofas? Thanks. Kathy

artielange Guest

Default Not to me!

I'm doing a great room with an H-M September sofa and loveseat plus two corresponding leather H-M Crenshaw chairs and one matching ottoman. I plan to use a hand-wrought iron and glass coffee table and I have a fantastic oriental rug for the room that brings a big splash of color to all of the solid leather. I will accessorize with great pillows on the leather and I can't wait to see it all come together! I did have some concerns about using so much leather but I think the color / texture variations will look really nice in the end and I love the durability of leather.

barbja Guest

I don't think that having the ottoman in leather would be over doing it. In fact, if you plan on the ottoman being used frequently for feet (as opposed to looks or just setting things on), I wouldn't consider anything else.

Since two such large pieces in the same leather will be with it, I'd definitely a use a contrasting leather. Perhaps distressed maybe? If its a tufted piece, as most leather ottomans are, it will you give you interest through texture instead of pattern and you'll never have to worry about pillows "going" with your ottoman.

Quote Originally Posted by kperregaux View Post
    Hi: Looking for members opinions on how much leather is too much in one room. I am close to ordering 2 sundance sofas (1 110" and 1 84") in Kipling Cognac or Whiskey for my 22'x22' family room. We considered a sectional but everyone in the family always wants to be next to an arm so we decided to go for 2 sofas in an "L" configuration again. Now my husband wants to add a leather ottoman. Looking for opinions on whether this is too much leather in one room? If you added the ottoman would you order a different color. How big an ottoman for these large sofas? Thanks. Kathy
    Kathy,

I think you would definitely want to do the ottoman in the same hide as the sectional or sofas. Not only for durability, but it will look more integrated as well. I did a Sundance Sectional for a customer a few months ago and we used the 079 Robinson Ottoman with it, and that has a lot of wood on the lower part (plus two drawers). You can see a photo of it in Kipling Cognac here on the forum under the PHOTO RESOURCES section, near the bottom of the list.

You won't have too much leather at all. You'll be fine with that. Stay with the same color is my recommendation.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Liz H Guest

I wouldn't worry about too much leather as long as you have some other visual interest in the room. Artwork, great windows, window treatments, a fireplace or other architectural embellishments all can make a contribution.