Thread: Trouble finding recliner that fits; really like H&M but cannot find particular model

Fizix Guest

Default Trouble finding recliner that fits; really like H&M but cannot find particular model

Greetings:

We are looking for a recliner to sit close to a wall (within one foot). Since I am 6-feet tall, any tilt-back recliners with a back tall enough to support my head require more space than this. The only exception to this is the Brayden Comfort Recliner (http://www.americanleather.com/Comfo...s/Brayden.aspx) by American Leather. This style is a bit too modern for our more traditional room, it is not as comfortable as Bradington-Young or Hancock & Moore recliners, and it costs more. It will, however, fit the space without having a traditional wall-hugger type motion. The back is adjustable but always supports your head rather than allowing it to flop back. We like the Flagstaff Java ( FL G 1600) leather on this chair. This chair would be ~$3,300.

The Bradington-Young Bancroft (3001) (http://www.bradington-young.com/amer...GER&style=3001) traditional recliner is comfortable for me but requires too much distance from the wall. They make a Bancroft wall-hugger (7301) (http://www.bradington-young.com/amer...ILS&style=7301) that we are considering, but no one has one I can try. The factory representative said there are differences between the two chairs but would not/could not tell if the reclining angles would be the same. In looking at the leather, we liked the Tatra Sivy (9019-85AP) from the King Street collection, but do not like the idea of paying so much for Chinese leather or for a chair I have not tried. The 7301 with the seat cushion upgraded to match the 3001 would be ~$2,200.

Hancock & Moore are our favorite chairs in terms of quality, style, leather and even value. The problem is we cannot find one to try that seems most likely to work for us. On paper, we like the Cody wall-hugger (3024) (http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=1442). We have tried the Austin wall-hugger (3032) (http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=1444) and did not like it. In the upright position, the Austin allows your head and shoulders to move too far back. When reclined, the Austin has your head pointing toward the ceiling rather than forward. We cannot find a Cody to try. I even called the regional representative and there are no chairs available in Kentucky, Indiana, southern Ohio or West Virginia. I have not heard from other regions yet. The measurements on the Cody wall-hugger are very similar to the American Leather Comfort Recliner, but you cannot tell a fit from measurements alone. Again, I love Hancock & Moore chairs, but I cannot order a chair I have not tried. This chair would run ~$2,800 in mid-grade leather.

We did sit in a La-Z-Boy 15519LE981377 that was comfortable and only $1,100, but it is made from OSB. I cannot imagine spending that kind of money for a chair that is glued together!

Am I missing anything that I should be considering? I need a chair that will fit a skinny 6-foot frame, sit within 12" of the wall, has quality construction/leather, and features traditional styling, preferably with nail head trim. We do not want a chair with an ottoman as there are already two other ottomans in the room. Ideally I would like to be around $2,500. Any suggestions or comments?

BTW, I love your site. I have learned a great deal from browsing your many posts. I wish your showroom were closer.

Default Re: Trouble finding recliner that fits; really like H&M but cannot find particular mo

It's difficult to buy a chair on specs, and it sounds like you have specific requirements that would probably preclude you from buying one untested.

Here's a little tip that will save you some time. The factory reps - any of them - have no idea what each dealer does or does not have on the floor. Our industry does not track that. Nor do the makers. If you call either the factory or the rep, they will be polite and try to be helpful, but really they have no idea. You have to call each dealer to see what they have on the floor.

Dealers almost always stock either promo items or market specials. We buy "on sale" just like customers, and there are more deals than there is floor space, so we virtually never show an item that is not on special. That's why you can call twenty different dealers and not find a certain model - its not on deal. There's a few exceptions to that such as when a customer returns a piece they didn't like, but for the most part the above holds true.

There is a way to see a specific frame, however. You have your dealer call the factory and see when that frame you are interested in will be coming through the line, then schedule a trip to the factory for a tour and they will have that piece there for you to try out. They will hold they a day or two, but no longer, so you have to schedule your visit around their time requirements rather than yours. For Hancock and Moore would mean a trip to Hickory NC on a Monday through Thursday.

Good luck!
    Last edited by drcollie; 07-21-2012 at 11:11 AM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Fizix Guest

Default Re: Trouble finding recliner that fits; really like H&M but cannot find particular mo

Thank you so much for your detailed response. I have a much better understanding of why finding a particular model can be so difficult -- and why all dealers have virtually the same chairs on the floor.

My local Hancock & Moore dealer has an Austin wall hugger that has the swivel/glide base and power recline on the floor at a terrific price (essentially the same as the Bradington Young Bancroft wall hugger from another dealer). They also have a manual model for ~$400 less. I may try to change the stuffing in the chair back to see if I can make it work for me. After all, opening two zippers to adjust the stuffing is a simple procedure.

After looking closely at the chairs, I agree with your sentiments on this forum...Hancock & Moore is simply a better chair than the others. I am determined to find one that works for me.

You don't want to change 'the stuffing' yourself as that's a fairly complex cushion you cannot replicate at a local crafts store, etc. Better to have your selling dealer contact H&M and order it fuller or firmer or softer or however you would like it. That way you will get a proper cushion in the piece. Good luck.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.