Thread: Undersides of sofa cushions

Judyg951 Guest

Default Undersides of sofa cushions

My current leather sofa (Thomasville) has cloth on about half of the the undersides of the cushions. As they wear you cannot turn them over like you can with a fabric cushion, but they don't move around as there is velcro attching the cushions to the top and seats of the sofa. Is this a common way that leather sofas are made? I know that leather is not going to stick to the sofa frame the way that fabric will though.

Is this what we can expect with most manufacturers including the higher end?

Matthew Guest

Default Re: Undersides of sofa cushions

That's normal. The fabric panel is there to allow air to escape when you sit on the cushion (and also can help keep the cushions from sliding around).

Judyg951 Guest

That is what I thought, just wanted to be sure though. I never thought to pick up the cushions on another leather sofa when I looked at it.

Thanks.

Yes, you have to have some way for the air to escape when sitting atop a cushion. On fabric cushions, its through the weave of the fabric. Leather is air-tight so they have vent panels on the bottom, otherwise it would be like sitting atop a balloon and eventually the welt trim (seams) would burst.

You can get a fully covered leather cushion, but you still have to put small metal vent inserts in the back of the cushion and pay the upcharges.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Judyg951 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Yes, you have to have some way for the air to escape when sitting atop a cushion. On fabric cushions, its through the weave of the fabric. Leather is air-tight so they have vent panels on the bottom, otherwise it would be like sitting atop a balloon and eventually the welt trim (seams) would burst.

You can get a fully covered leather cushion, but you still have to put small metal vent inserts in the back of the cushion and pay the upcharges.
    I don't think I need to do that, I was just curious. It makes sense.

I cannot imagine how much time I would spend putting the cushions back in place if the seats were all leather. Even with the velcro I still have to readjust my Hancock Moore cushions more than I want.