Thread: What might this leather and finish be?

Rafree1 Guest

Default What might this leather and finish be?

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=1457

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4106_Member_SO_PR.jpg 
Views:	349 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	3863

If you zoom in you can see the welt is a little lighter. The pic is better actually on H and M's site with the zoom tool. It looks like this piece has been sitting in the university library for quite a while. I LOVE that warm, cozy, old world library look on this piece but, I'm stumped as to how they did this. The dark areas are like a very deep, deep blackish brown, and the lighter areas are a kind of walnut looking. Just how the piece would age if people had been sitting on it for decades. Well, I just think this is wonderful! And it's so classic. Can be dressed up or down depending on surroundings. When I apply this look on even some of the more modern pieces it adds an old world depth to them. Just LOVE this. Is this welt a totally different color than the rest of the piece? I cannot tell.

The details where this piece is lighter in all the right places on the backs, just at the edges of the arms, and the welt make me wish I could see this piece in person! That deep rich dark brown contrasting with that rubbed look in all the right places is just quite wonderful. Kudos to who ever did this piece for the website advertising.

I'd go for this type of look but, have no idea what to look for when looking at swatches. I am in love with this super dark like deep dark chocolate against the lighter areas. In person I bet this is stunning!

As West End won't fit us we're thinking of going "Member" if it's a really great comfy one i might just head straight for this look. GORGEOUS.

Default Re: What might this leather and finish be?

That's probably Heirloom Chestnut (GR4) on the leather, and the welt trim is something lighter. You can specify a contrasting welt trim on H&M at no extra charge as long as its the same price grade or less. Heirloom Chestnut is a hand-antiqued leather so they get that effect by upholstering the entire piece first, then taking it back to the finish department and custom hand-glaze the hide, then put a sealer coat on it.

These really don't swatch well, best bet is to search the photo archives for completed pieces.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Rafree1 Guest

Default Re: What might this leather and finish be?

Well, it's gorgeous. It even fits my neighborhood! I live nearly right on top of an old university, in a very old university town. I see both Heirloom Chestnut and Heirloom Tobacco listed there. I'll search the archives here for further photos. Thinking this on a Member or maybe Journal sofa would look stunning. Now to talk the better half into grade 4.

Another thing I like about this is with the variation you can easily mix and match tones in other fabrics. I will go look up further info on how well this is maintained too. I see I'm leaning towards older looking leathers, liked the Scout Chocolate swatch, Rio Tobacco and a few others that had markings in them too.

I'll go have a closer look at the archives. Another great resource!