Thread: BY Recliner Help

rgoldey Guest

Default BY Recliner Help

Howdy,

I have a BY 4114 leather recliner we purchased in 1992 from an interior decorating company that has since gone out of business. The reclining mechanism is finally completely broken; it actually took its time, and I feel pretty good about the longevity. Additionally, several of the seat tension springs have broken, and/or the hogrings (is that the correct term?), and I need new back and seat cushions. I have been trying to contact BY through their published customer service number. I've had no luck reaching a representative directly, and I have left two voicemails asking to have my call returned. So far, no response. I actually found the original receipt, and I believe everything is covered under the original warranty, but it won't do me any good if I can't reach anyone at the company. Any ideas on reaching customer support would be appreciated. Also, I'm pretty confident I can replace the reclining mechanism and cushions, but I'm a little unsure about installing the tension springs for the seat. Is this something I can do myself, and is there a special tool or pliers I need to look for?

Thanks,

Ron

Default Re: BY Recliner Help

BY will only respond to dealers, which is why you are not getting a return call. Their voice mail when you call pretty much says that before you get to the department prompts and as such they won't respond. Sounds like you will need a new mechanism, they are only warrantied for 5 years (after the 1st year, does not include labor or shipping costs). Current price on a mechanism is probably around $ 200 or so (I'd have to check based on your model number). Springs are part of the mechanism and included. Takes about 2 hours to install one if you're handy with tools. Seat cushion cores are lifetime at no charge, but you would have to pay for the back cushion....plus shipping.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

rgoldey Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    BY will only respond to dealers, which is why you are not getting a return call. Their voice mail when you call pretty much says that before you get to the department prompts and as such they won't respond. Sounds like you will need a new mechanism, they are only warrantied for 5 years (after the 1st year, does not include labor or shipping costs). Current price on a mechanism is probably around $ 200 or so (I'd have to check based on your model number). Springs are part of the mechanism and included. Takes about 2 hours to install one if you're handy with tools. Seat cushion cores are lifetime at no charge, but you would have to pay for the back cushion....plus shipping.
    Thanks for the info. Earlier this week I received a follow-up call from BY, and they confirmed that the mechanism was still under warranty (I guess it was a lifetime warranty in 1992), and since the original dealer was out of business they would be happy to replace it. The seat cushion was, as you stated, also under warranty and I had to pay $40 for the back cushion. Total, including shipping, was around $80. Besides the annoying way the customer service line forces you to continue to press 1, my overall experience was very positive, and I am quite happy that I will soon have a like-new recliner for an extremely reasonable price.

Thanks for the reply.

Cheers!

Take that free mechanism and run with it....its really not under warranty at 20 years old and they should have charged you for a new one.

Good luck!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.