Thread: BY Seat Cushion Options?

Rafree1 Guest

Default BY Seat Cushion Options?

We have been looking at BY because our first choice of the West End Sofa by H and M is too deep for our space. BY has a similar sofa called "West Haven" I'm not real keen on BY really but, we love the lines in that sofa. If we should go with BY do they have seat cushion options? What I found when sitting on sofas was that BY sofas mostly sat "okay" and the H and M all sat like heaven. It's real hard to adjust yourself to BY once you've sat on a few H and M. Most of the BY I sat on were "Premier down" cushions...I'm wondering if it's spring down I prefer and if that's an upgrade? Is it possible to get the seating on a BY to equal a H and M or nearly equal it? Opinions?

Default Re: BY Seat Cushion Options?

It's going to be difficult to beat the H&M on overall comfort - that's the hallmark on their pieces. Bradington Young stepped it up a notch a few years back and began putting "Premier Down" as a standard cushion in most of their pieces, so there is no upgrade from that cushion - though you can downgrade it if you wish. Premier down is their top core.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Rafree1 Guest

I'm just going to switch my sofa choice and stay with Hancock and Moore. It's taking a while due to having to totally change gears but, we don't care. I can't order something from BY I have not sat on with confidence and I think I CAN do that with H and M. I've sat on about seven models of each company. Most of the BY were good, some were hard as brick bats. ALL of the H and M's were heavenly. I'd rather change styles than order something I am going to wish sat better for me. Comfort is paramount on this purchase.

gerhardrp Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rafree1 View Post
    Most of the BY were good, some were hard as brick bats.
    We have recently taken delivery of a B-Y Warner sleeper 220-79 and a chair 220-25. The materials tag says "polyurethane foam 60%, polyester fibers 40%.My wife had sat on a number of B-Y pieces over several months and all were softer. The [internet] dealer she chose seams to know nothing about cushion options. Can you rescue us? What are the options? How can I get new cores? We want much softer seats.

What you should have received as the standard seat cushion for the 220-70 and 220-25 are "Premier Down" as per the price book. The Back cushions are "100% Virgin Polyester" which would match your description. Perhaps you are only looking at the tags for the back cushions?

Seats should have a combination of 2-tier foam with down/feather/fiber ticking on top of the foam.

Premier Down is the top of the line cushion core for B-Y, there is nothing to upgrade to. You can ask your dealer to call B-Y and order foam with much less density and re-make the seat cushions for you. They will assess a charge to do that, however.

Before you hit the panic button on this, give these time to break-in. It normally takes 4 to 6 weeks for a cushion to break in and that is with everyday use. I'd suggest you do that, and if you find it unsatisfactory after a few months, then contact your selling dealer to discuss.
    Duane Collie

gerhardrp Guest

Thanks,
    The backs are just fiber as you say. There is no mention of down on the tag which does give the body materials too. Definitely says cushion material as I quoted.
    If I unzip the cushion, what should it look like?
    Gerhard

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    What you should have received as the standard seat cushion for the 220-70 and 220-25 are "Premier Down" as per the price book. The Back cushions are "100% Virgin Polyester" which would match your description. Perhaps you are only looking at the tags for the back cushions?

Seats should have a combination of 2-tier foam with down/feather/fiber ticking on top of the foam.

Premier Down is the top of the line cushion core for B-Y, there is nothing to upgrade to. You can ask your dealer to call B-Y and order foam with much less density and re-make the seat cushions for you. They will assess a charge to do that, however.

Before you hit the panic button on this, give these time to break-in. It normally takes 4 to 6 weeks for a cushion to break in and that is with everyday use. I'd suggest you do that, and if you find it unsatisfactory after a few months, then contact your selling dealer to discuss.

There is not much too look at, just a muslim casing and probably a bunch of numbers on it that won't make any sense. Keep in mind too, that since you have a sleeper, it won't ever sit as nice and a stationary piece as there is no 8-way spring suspension under the cushion, its placed on top of the fold out bed frame. So its always going to be firmer because of that.
    Duane Collie