Thread: Washington Post on Bedding

Default Washington Post on Bedding

Excerpt from The Washington Post HOME section 01.09.09:

MAKING SENSE OF MATTRESS SALES

Gradual changes over time cause mattresses to become less comfortable and less supportive. The National Sleep Foundation says a good mattress lasts nine to 10 years, but a recent study by Oklahoma State University showed that most people who buy a new bed every five years sleep better and experience less back pain.

Consumer Reports recommends buying a new mattress "if you wake up tired or achy, you tend to sleep better at hotels than at home, your mattress looks saggy or lumpy, you're over age 40, or your mattress is five to seven years old."

The product-review magazine says it receives more questions about mattresses than any other product aside from cars, and it doesn't rate mattresses by brand because of the way they are marketed. Says the report: "Manufacturers usually modify innerspring mattresses for different sellers, changing the color, padding, quilting pattern, and so forth. Then each seller can call the mattress by a different name. Consumers are the losers."

Both Sealy and Simmons mattress companies have buying guides for consumers on their Web sites that explain differences in their products.

WHAT TO CONSIDER WHEN BUYING A MATTRESS

Cost and materials. Most people look for mattresses with coils. They are affordable and readily available. Prices range from $200 to $1,000. Consumer Reports says all but the cheapest are durable, and all coil materials and coil counts over 300 are adequate for support.

The luxury mattress market has stepped up in recent years to entice sleep-deprived customers with such brands as Tempur-Pedic ($1,200 to $6,000 for queen), which touts a foam core that conforms to your body, and Select Comfort, whose Sleep Number beds ($1,000 to $4,700 for queen) have adjustable firmness. Both of these claim to insulate you from a restless bed partner's every movement.

Another high-end option from Sealy and Simmons is synthetic latex, which conforms to your body but springs back quickly. It is designed to eliminate pressure points that cause tossing and turning. A queen-size mattress retails for about $3,000 to $4,000 at area department stores.

Comfort and support. Doctors used to recommend firm mattresses for everyone, but many now say that a slightly softer one can ease aging joints and pressure points. Mattresses have become softer and thicker in recent years, so you might have to buy new sheets, too.

Another tip from Consumer Reports: Go to a store to test-drive mattresses and determine the level of firmness and comfort you need. Take at least 15 minutes to lie on a mattress, spending five or so minutes in the positions you normally sleep in. Wear comfortable clothes, and bring your own pillow if you want -- salespeople expect it.

Also consider how comfortable the top layer is. If the stitching that binds the ticking to the top pad forms a large quilt pattern, the mattress will feel softer. If it's smaller, the mattress will feel firmer. "Pillow top" models offer an additional layer of softness.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

soster Guest

To clarify about the quilting.... There are two types of quilting.

1) continuous
    2) tack and jump

What Duane said about quilting is true for continuous quilting. Tack and jump produces small isolated patterns, and all other things being equal, this will produce a softer feel than a large quilt pattern.

Steve

Webfeet Guest

Unhappy Re: Washington Post on Bedding

We have a Select Comfort, Sleep Number 5000 King bed. It is a little over 2 years old. I was disappointed to find out that the foam topper inside the cover, is not warranted. Ours is starting to split and separate. Customer service told me that this is normal wear and tear. They offered to sell me a new one for $211.00. As a result, I can't recommend a sleep number bed anymore. Nonetheless, we love ours. It can be very soft or very firm, and my husband or I can get up and the other neither feels nor hears the one getting out of bed. I just didn't expect to have a $200.00 part tear and not be warranted.

Default Re: Washington Post on Bedding

Most bed warranties are not worth the paper they are written on. They rarely cover the things that need covering.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

5. 01-29-2010