Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trusted brand for outdoor patio furniture?

SuzieQ Guest

Default Trusted brand for outdoor patio furniture?

Hi all.

So my new apartment has a lovely little outdoor patio area with a lawn of about 50sq feet and some adjacent pavement.

I'd like to purchase a 5-7 piece outdoor dining furniture set. Something classy, dignified, no risk of any wear and tear from the unpredictable weather we have here in NY.

I'm between these three right now:

http://www.potterybarn.com/products/...g-sets-outdoor

http://www.fortunoffbys.com/patio-fu...g-sets/3134353

http://www.fortunoffbys.com/patio-fu...g-sets/3134470

Does anyone have any insight into the quality of furniture at Pottery Barn vs. Fortunoff? I'm inclined to go with Fortunoff because one of their stores is quite close to where we live.

Any insights would be very helpful. Thank you!

MJM_CA Guest

Default Re: Trusted brand for outdoor patio furniture?

Brown Jordan is typically the best in quality and style.

A lot of patio furniture is cast aluminum these days which is lighter weight and doesn't rust. However, beware of the dark finishes in direct sunlight (especially on a wrought iron piece) can make it too hot to be usable. If you're gonna be using something in direct sunlight, a white color or even teak would be cooler.

Pottery Barn stuff looks nice, but I think it's overpriced to pay for all the marketing they do. I'd probably go with the Fortunoff as well, but I'm not familiar with that store.

I don't really get into outdoor furniture professionally, but will tell you that I fell into the Brown Jordan 'myth' and spent $ 6,000 on a set as a consumer about 10 years ago because it was 'the best'. All of it was problematic after the first season, and getting warranty service was difficult and miserable. They would never replace anything, just patch it. Finally, after five patch-up warranty fixes over seven years (it had a lifetime warranty, which wasn't nearly up to doing battle with the Brown Jordan excuses on the phone), I gave up and sold it all on Craigslist for $ 500 to someone locally enamored with the name. I would not endorse Brown Jordan not only because of the inflated price, but of their difficult and unsatisfactory warranty service.

I replaced the Brown Jordan with Home Depot and Lowe's stuff for a total of $ 1,200. Its been fantastic and I would recommend it. Plus, if it deteriorates, I don't have much into it and don't mind replacing it.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

MJM_CA Guest

That's interesting about Brown Jordan, Duane. My grandparents and parents have had sets from way back in the 70s and they're still in great shape...just occasional webbing replacement. I guess like a lot of things though they don't make 'em like they used to.

yooper829 Guest

Worth looking into what Duane mentioned....there is a brand called Agio which is retailed by the Depots and Lowes, along with the independent hardware channel (True Value, Ace ect) that make a very good product. About 1/2 the price points your looking at too! I have an aluminum table set from Agio along with a wicker loveseat and chair set that's about 4 years old and it's still holding up very well. Even the cushions are still firm and the fabrics have held up to the sun great. The poly wicker is a little faded but you cant see that when the cushions are on. Just another option!

Judyg951 Guest

I have been very happy with my Tropitone outdoor furniture. some of it is over 20 years old and still in great shape.

SuzieQ Guest

Thank you guys for all the feedback! I'm going to continue looking into Fortunoff since it's so close to where I live, but I will check out Brown Jordan as well. Thanks!

Judyg951 Guest

Since it is the end of summer you should be able to find something on sale.

Just my two cents...
    I don't have any idea of the quality ranking of furniture manufacturers. We do have a Kincaid dining set (table, chairs, and china cabinet) that we bought at the outlet in Hickory. It was still pricey but I think nice quality. I get compliments on the look all the time. But this set was made in Canada, not locally in NC. We also got a Lazboy recliner for a steal (Kincaid owns Lazboy) and lounge chairs from Amazon https://10restbest.com/best-lounge-chairs At that point we'd been shopping for furniture for so long that since we found the dining set we liked, we just went ahead and bought other stuff to make the shipping and set up convenient and put an end to all the furniture shopping.

There are many, many brands out there. If you like the Pottery Barn and Restoration Hardware look, you can take a look at Bernhardt. I think they actually produce some of PB and RH. One manufacturer I really like but did not open an outlet until after we finished furniture shopping is Mitchell Gold.
    On Youtube hundreds on this topic, leave one of them here, it may be useful to someone in the future
    Last edited by Vadind; 09-25-2018 at 02:16 AM.

Bots are getting smarter and smarter!