Thread: Help with fixing Leather Upholstery

SouthernHiker Guest

Default Help with fixing Leather Upholstery

Hello all. I am completely new to this forum, and new to leather furniture ownership.

I recently purchased a used leather sofa that I want to attempt to repair for my home

The previous owner has apparently used some sort of "water based" dye or finishing product to "fix his old sofa." After putting whatever product this was on the sofa, it made the back upper area very sticky.

He then told me he thought he could fix it by putting an "oil based" sealer own it. He couldn't identify either product, but said they were both made for leather furniture. The sofa's headrest is still very sticky and shiny.

Can anyone recommend any products and/or steps I need to take to fix this headrest. The color is dead on, and he said he used this product all over the sofa, and the rest of the sofa is fine? Thanks for any suggestions. I hope this is in the correct forum as well.

Default Re: Help with fixing Leather Upholstery

This is very difficult to say - because I don't know what your base leather type would be. Is it Finished leathers (Painted) or Aniline? (Dyed). The correct way to restore color to an Aniline leather is a series of dye applications, followed by a conditioner on top. The oil-based sealer on top is a mistake. It is likely bonded to the topcoat now and may not be removable without damaging the leather. I can't advise you because I don't know the products you are working with - and you need a professional to assess the situation.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

SouthernHiker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    This is very difficult to say - because I don't know what your base leather type would be. Is it Finished leathers (Painted) or Aniline? (Dyed). The correct way to restore color to an Aniline leather is a series of dye applications, followed by a conditioner on top. The oil-based sealer on top is a mistake. It is likely bonded to the topcoat now and may not be removable without damaging the leather. I can't advise you because I don't know the products you are working with - and you need a professional to assess the situation.

That's what I was afraid of. Oh well, I'm not out very much at all. I was just hoping I could figure out how to keep it from being sticky, and figured it was worth what little I paid for it. I believe it is painted leather, not dyed. Thanks for the advice.

Its probably a mess. What you would want to try to do, is remove all the existing topcoat making it sticky....no mean feat. If you use too strong a chemical, you'll get into the color coat. I understand with used leather you don't want to pay $ 300 for a pro to come in, so try this in order of severity. STOP if you see color coming off.

1) Use some liquid Tide or similar on a damp rag. Not too much soap, not too much water. We're going after the sticky and that's all. Don't water saturate the leather.

2) If Tide does not work, try some rubbing alcohol, and then mineral spirits, and then acetone. WARNING: These may remove the color. Test in an unseen area first such as under the seat cushion. Apply lightly - do not scrub. Go slowly and carefully.

With a little luck, you may get the stickiness removed. Good luck.
    Duane Collie

SouthernHiker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Its probably a mess. What you would want to try to do, is remove all the existing topcoat making it sticky....no mean feat. If you use too strong a chemical, you'll get into the color coat. I understand with used leather you don't want to pay $ 300 for a pro to come in, so try this in order of severity. STOP if you see color coming off.

1) Use some liquid Tide or similar on a damp rag. Not too much soap, not too much water. We're going after the sticky and that's all. Don't water saturate the leather.

2) If Tide does not work, try some rubbing alcohol, and then mineral spirits, and then acetone. WARNING: These may remove the color. Test in an unseen area first such as under the seat cushion. Apply lightly - do not scrub. Go slowly and carefully.

With a little luck, you may get the stickiness removed. Good luck.
    Thanks for the advice. I tried the liquid soap on damp rag. While I was wiping it, it didn't feel sticky anymore, but started washing the color away where it was "most sticky". Now it's still sticky, possibly more so?

I'm fairly sure now that the coloring is painted on, not dyed. It almost feels like fly paper just on this head rest area, if that helps. The place where it is most sticky is where there is the least amount of Is there maybe some kind of seal or something that is supposed to be put over this "paint" that the guy used to make it slick again?

I'm hesistant to go up to the harsher chemical since the soap did remove the coloring, but didn't prevent the stickiness. What do you think?

I don't really know. He used an incompatible chemical - that's why its sticky. That's also why he sold it, I'm sure - he saw he screwed it up. Chemical stripping on leather is tricky business, you can damage the leather. Most likely you WILL damage the leather. Try the various chemicals if you don't mind ruining what's left - or put a square piece of new leather over it (just drape it) with some two-sided tape and just live with it until you're ready for a new piece.
    Duane Collie