Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need Furniture and Layout suggestions for family room

Fieldstone Guest

Default Need Furniture and Layout suggestions for family room

Hi Duane and Everyone,

Happy Memorial Day everyone! We are starting from scratch to furnish our home, so first comes the family room. It is 19' X 14' and is open to 25' X 14' kitchen. There is a gas fireplace and shorter wall with entrance to the family room on the two 14' walls. One 19' wall has a big window other wall is a full length solid wall abuts the entrance. Before I confuse you any further here are the photos.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0509.jpg 
Views:	581 
Size:	187.2 KB 
ID:	3924Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0511.jpg 
Views:	560 
Size:	203.8 KB 
ID:	3923

Some more measurements:

Length of the shorter wall: 9.5'
    Width of the window: 6.5'
    Width of the brick wall with the fireplace: 6.4'

We are going to have a 60" Panasonic Plasma in this room. There are two options for that, one is to mount it on the fireplace or to mount it or have it on a stand on the full length wall abutting the entrance. The existing mantle on the fireplace can be removed easily and TV can be mounted at a height that can be comfortable, but we need a new mantle to conceal the wiring and some bricks need to be drilled in to. We are not sure about if the bricks can be repaired later, if we decide couple of years later that we do not want TV there. Sometimes it doesn't make sense to do that many changes for the TV. If that is somehow an ideal place for TV in regards with the furniture placement, we can get that done I think. I keep going back to the TV on fireplace thing because, I want the fireplace to be focal point of the room, if TV is on the other wall, it feels like there will be two focal points. Any thoughts on this will be greatly appreciated. It sure is a real bottleneck to think about the furniture.

We have decided on the Hancock and Moore Leather for this area. We don't need super deep as we are 5' 8" (180) and 5' 4" (130) and definitely need some what firm back and at the same time this is our lounging area. We are thinking of around $3000 per sofa and can be flexible. I am thinking of couple of scenarios:

1. Two sofas flanking the fireplace with ottoman in between.
    2. Sectional abutting the window wall and the short wall with ottoman and may be another chair

suggestions on any other arrangements is greatly appreciated. Come to leather, we definitely do not want Document leather. I greatly appreciate any suggestions about the color that goes with our floors and decor in grade 2 and grade 3 leathers. I guess we could change the wall coverings, may be to show off that nice crown moldings especially but thats not of a priority right now. I am sorry its such a long post. Love to hear what everybody else think.

Default Re: Need Furniture and Layout suggestions for family room

I'm not a fan of putting flat TVs mounted into the brick above the fireplace for several reasons:

1: They are uncomfortable to view. You have to look up to see the TV and most everyone I know that has done that regrets it TV Screens are best viewed level to your eyes or even slightly lower.
    2: It damages the brick masonry and patches later on are never satisfactory.
    3: If you run the fireplace, heat coming up from it is not good for the electronics of the TV.

I also don't care for furniture in front of windows, I'd want to leave that space open. If that were my house, I'd put the TV in the corner to the left of the fireplace angled at 45 degrees. Then I'd put a sofa on the long back wall and a compact loveseat coming out 90 degrees to the sofa, and finish with a leather ottoman that would double as a footrest for both sofa and loveseat.

I was just in a friend's house yesterday with almost the same identical setup as yours, and we configured the room this same way and put in H&M Illusion series pieces in Piazza Ebony. They love it and I think it came out fantastic. They want to add one more chair (will probably be an H&M Oscar Swivel chair in Piazza Ebony) to the area by the window for additional seating. I sat in the sofa yesterday and it was comfortable - sat well, and was perfect viewing the TV in the corner.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Fieldstone Guest

Thanks for the reply, we appreciate it. Actually DH has been saying from the beginning that the TV should go in the corner. I think it makes sense to use those deep corners. We like the layout too. But I like the seating near the window because I generally gravitate towards the area where there is an abundant natural light to sit. May be we could get a rolled arm bench. So do you have corner TV stands that holds 60 inch TV? H&M Illusion sofa looks plain but I have no doubt about the comfort and DH dislikes black and thinks black gives office furniture vibe.

Also we sat on 5662-3 in Weston Cane Burnished at our local dealer and we liked it and it is sufficiently firm in the back. I understand 4487 has also a similar tight back, and it is available in Weston Cane Burnished in T & C program. Do you think 4487 will go in our room? is there a loveseat that goes with it? It doesn't have to match, but all three pieces sofa, loveseat and ottoman should mesh together I think. We greatly appreciate your thoughts on this.
    Last edited by Fieldstone; 09-04-2012 at 05:07 PM.

Fieldstone Guest

Hi Duane, we are planning to visit The Keeping Room on Saturday. We are planning to check H&M sofas, recliners and all the other nice wood furniture. Can please tell us the H&M models on the floor at present? Thanks for your time.

I'll be here...

Currently I have the following H&M sofas on the floor:

* Yosemite
    * Teton
    * Parisian
    * City
    * Oslo
    * Kodiak
    Duane Collie

MJM_CA Guest

So do you have corner TV stands that holds 60 inch TV?
    Duane can probably have one built custom for you.

But here are some other options I've found in my search for a corner TV cabinet for a 60" TV:
    http://www.ballarddesigns.com/san-ma...e=&listIndex=6
    http://www.ballarddesigns.com/san-ma...e=&listIndex=1

http://www.restorationhardware.com/c...yId=cat1850055

I have a Treharn corner piece on the floor for an entertainment center (there is a photo of it here in the WOOD section) but its going to be 46" to 50" max in capacity for a flat panel. To accommodate a 60" one is going to be a BIG piece of furniture and most certainly be custom.
    Duane Collie

Vegas Guest

Default Leather Color Assistance

We have two dark brown leather matching recliners and would like to add a Sloan sofa in a Capri or Continental leather with possibly a trim in an exotic leather.

Any suggestions would be so appreciated.
    Last edited by Vegas; 09-12-2012 at 08:50 PM.

Fieldstone Guest

Duane, I checked Treharn corner media center, it's maximum width is 54" which might be just barely enough for 60" inch tv as its width is 53.3". The diagnal dimension of tv is 60 inch and it's width is 53.3". There is only 41 inch space from the end of the brick fireplace wall to the corner.

MJM_CA, thanks for those suggestions. RH piece is particularly creative.

MJM_CA Guest

No problem. Yeah, I like the RH piece too. Less visual weight if you don't have a lot of audio equipment and it's on casters for ease of movement. Little pricey though...but that's RH (gotta pay for those huge catalogs!)