Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need Furniture and Layout suggestions for family room

Fieldstone Guest

Default Re: Need Furniture and Layout suggestions for family room

We made our second trip yesterday to the Keeping Room. All the wood furniture is awesome and elegant. We plan to get some in the near future. After the first visit we got
    our corner TV table. We were so lucky to be there while Duane was planning to deliver that big beautiful table (a guess) recently seen on the forum, since we
    are in the route we got our table next day. Anybody has an idea about how to upload photos from Macbook Pro? I did it somehow last time around. But not able to do it now.

Yesterday we placed an order for three pieces Mcnary sofa, Judy Lounger and Plantations tufted bench for our family room all in Weston Cane Burnished. We are going to get
    them in December. We are relieved to finalize the selections. I am finding buying dining table and bed frames is going to be lot more easier because we don't have to worry
    about the layouts and comfort etc just need to come up with the money.

Fieldstone Guest

So here is our corner entertainment center from Keeping Room.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	414 
Size:	191.3 KB 
ID:	4050

We plan to put Mcnary along the longer wall and the Judy lounger along the shorter wall and plantations tufted bench obviously will be parallel to the Mcnary. I will give links below for all three. Any suggestions and comments regarding the room is greatly appreciated.

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...?productid=975

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=2030

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=1622

WOW! That fit perfectly. No extra room to spare. I knew when we laid it out that it was going to be snug in the space and that 55" Flat Screen really is about as big as you can go. Looks good! I think you'll have to get the other pieces in the room and see where you are at with space. Don't want to over-crowd. Looking at the most recent photo, I think the carpet on the floor is the wrong size and either needs to be larger, or cut down smaller. The sofa will be two legs on the carpet and that will look odd and change the pitch. It should go all the way on, or all the way off the carpet. Myself I'd find me a handsome Turkish rug and go smaller, and get a color burst in the room from it - or you may just want to take the carpet you have down there now and cut it down, then have the edges seamed. Just a thought!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Fieldstone Guest

Yeah it is perfect in that corner and is best placed for the viewing from both sides where we are going to place the furniture. This is the only place where we will not get any glares from the sunlight. We agonized for couple of months about the placement of TV. Thanks for your suggestion about it.

We will definitely replace the existing carpet. I like the small Turkish rug idea with some warm colors. We will be in the market for it after we get the furniture. Meanwhile any suggestions about where to look for them?

5. 10-30-2012

ayesha irshad Guest

i would suggest you to keep the TV and Fire place at one place... because when you are in living room then both of these items serve as focal point... if you place these items opposite to each other then it will will create a distraction and your guests will not get captivated at a single point... and you better know that the layout that distarcts the eyes and create confusions are percieved as clutter... i hope you got my point.

Fieldstone Guest

Duane, thanks for the call today. We can't wait to see the furniture even though I saw the sofa in various leathers here on the forum like 1000 times. Mean while we are thinking of a rug for the area too. So last week we found a place by accident here locally and they have some vegetable dyed and hand knotted rugs from Afghanistan. I snapped couple of photos of the rug. I appreciate if you or anybody has any comments on the quality of the rug from photo.

Name:	IMG_0770.jpg 
Views:	322 
Size:	193.3 KB 
ID:	4232

Name:	IMG_0771.jpg 
Views:	305 
Size:	194.6 KB 
ID:	4233

BevoGal Guest

The rug is gorgeous! I am shopping around myself for hand-knotted, vegetable-dyed rugs. How much are they charging per square foot? What size is the rug in the picture? There is a great thread here where you will find pricing/quality information that Duane shared: . I found it very helpful...though NOW knowledge is dangerous! I want a quality rug and don't have the budget =)

BevoGal Guest

For whatever reason, it is not letting me insert the URL. If you click on my name and see my latest posts, I just commented in that thread yesterday. It was titled something like "looking for a rug dealer in Chicago" - sorry! I get kicked out no matter how I try to insert that link...

Fieldstone Guest

For whatever reason the rug looked beautiful when I upload it to the computer than to my eye in the shop. But it was freezing cold inside as they don't have heating so I did not get to see it carefully. Same is the case here, we want a quality rug on a budget. I think the size is around 8X6. I need to return to the shop to check on pricing as the owner was not there. But I suspect it might be affordable.

I read that thread by Duane about rugs. It is really helpful as I could see the difference between chromium dyes and vegetable dyes by looking at the rug.

That one is not bad..but it's a little too 'perfect' and could use a tad more variance and au-brush to make it look more handmade, however its WAY better than mill rugs like Karastan.

It appears to be a wool on cotton (though I can't tell for sure) and Vegetable dyed with about a 180 - 200 knots per sq ince. It really depends on the price and how much you like it. Turkish rugs like that are selling for around $ 3,800. (8' x 6'). An Afghan rug would be around $ 2,800 or so. Always compute the square feet and buy a rug that way. 48 s.f. x $ 80 for Turkish, or $ 55 for Afghan (these are averages and will vary). More knots mean more $$$$, less knots for a lower price. Lots of generalizations, I know!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.