Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need Furniture and Layout suggestions for family room

Fieldstone Guest

Default Re: Need Furniture and Layout suggestions for family room

Thanks for the price outlines! They will send up to 5 rugs home to try.

The person that I talked to in the shop said that Indian and Chinese rugs tend to have more knots per square inch as they get machine help in their hand knotted rugs. He basically said that higher number doesn't mean higher quality. As per him this rug may have around 100 knots per square inch and the knots are really tight because each and every knot is made by a hand.

That's correct that more knots doesn't necessarily mean higher quality, but its one of the data points you use when assessing a rug to buy. It's kind of like buying a steak. You have Good, Choice and Prime grades. While the Prime doesn't guarantee a great steak, you can be pretty sure its going to be better than the commercial 'Good' grade. Knot counts are like that, too.

When you look at the rugs in your home, view them as art. Like you would a painting. Also know that every rug has a dark and light side, so position them in your room to take advantage of the look you like. If its too light - flip it 180.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Fieldstone Guest

Duane, thanks for the info on rugs. Then a 100 knot afghan rug should cost around $25 to $30 per square foot? can we just directly derive the price like that based on the knots?

Also sofa delivery is scheduled for 27th or 28th. I dropped the check in mail on Monday itself. Delivery charges are around $384 cashier check. So we will have to keep that ready.

You can't really come up with a price to pay based on knot count, its a bit more complex that that. Tell you what you do...since you're not that far away (just an hour or so) take a drive some day to this place and go look at their rugs:

Material Culture
    4700 Wissahickon Avenue
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19144

This is the retail store for Woven Legends rugs and they will have all sorts of high quality rugs in their store that you can browse. If you get one of the more knowledgeable sales persons there they can really give you an education on rugs. You will see them prices all over the board. Trust your eyes....
    Duane Collie

Fieldstone Guest

Thanks for the address and will be there soon.

Fieldstone Guest

Duane, we got our furniture yesterday. We really like how they look and they sit perfectly like how we wanted. Delivery was smooth and it all happened in 15 minutes. Here are the photos.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0841.jpg 
Views:	385 
Size:	195.6 KB 
ID:	4281

Name:	IMG_0842.jpg 
Views:	372 
Size:	196.9 KB 
ID:	4282

Name:	IMG_0844.jpg 
Views:	369 
Size:	193.0 KB 
ID:	4283

Name:	IMG_0848.jpg 
Views:	385 
Size:	192.8 KB 
ID:	4284

Any comments about size of the rug and end tables is appreciated. Thanks for your help.

Excellent! Glad to hear it. Did you like the way the custom nail pattern turned out on the McNary Sofa?

For rugs, Probably an 8' x 10' is going to do it. A little one way or the other will be fine, too.

I'd be liking some tiger maple end tables from JL Treharn (same who made your entertainment center).

Thank YOU for your business and glad it all arrived smoothly
    Duane Collie

Daisymarie18 Guest

Beautiful set!! Love that style and color!
    How does the McNary Sofa sit? I've been eyeing the McNary chair (amongst others) in the T&C catalog. I love the look of the seat back, but concerned it might be too hard. Is it "cushiony" at all?

I think the McNary sits BETTER than it appears to from photos. Even though its a tight back, I personally find it supportive and comfortable. Its not a "sink-in" type of back obviously, but I'd not hesitate to buy one for myself in the least.
    Duane Collie

Fieldstone Guest

McNary sits just right for us, not too hard and not too soft either. Duane, I really like the custom nail pattern. Now my husband is mostly sitting on the sofa with his foot on the ottoman. Had I known this before, we would have gotten that Jessica Charles philips chair in Weston Cane Burnished instead of Judy lounger.

One more thing where my husband sits I see creases on the sofa. Are there any tricks avoid them? I think in the photos the leather is appearing lighter because of the sunlight from the window. In person it is more darker and rich looking. This is one instance where I think photos look inferior to actual product. I will try to upload couple more pictures later.

I will ask for the quotes for end table later. Again thanks for your help.