Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any experience with Southern Motion recliners?

olegig Guest

Default Any experience with Southern Motion recliners?

Hello everyone, this is my first post; but over the last few days I have been reading several posts with interest.
    The reason I found this site is because I am shopping for a new recliner.
    I do realize from reading here and other research that H&M and B&Y most likely make the best recliners; however considering my age, I am afraid the chair might out-live me and seriously doubt any of my kids would value the quality recliner since it would most likely be in a style of my choice rather than of theirs.

However, I do want a good quality recliner that will fully support my bionic back and hips. (ouch)

The other day I came across a recliner made by Southern Motion. It has the Leggett & Pratt mechanism, attached to hardwood.
    The cushioning seems very firm, giving good support, and it is made in USA.

Does anyone have any experience with this brand of recliner?

thanks

Tyler Guest

Default Re: Any experience with Southern Motion recliners?

Howdy,
    We have sold Southern Motion for quite a while. It is a solid well-built recliner. Our sales rep pushes that the company was started / is headed by two guys, one from Lane and the other from La-z-boy. With two names like that, I figure they know what they are doing with recliners.
    From an experience standpoint, we sell quite a few units, and they do seem to be very well built, comparable to a lane. They are based out of the US, so you have many options of covers. We have had lots of success with the "shazam" model, it has a unique look with out looking overstuffed.
    In the end, I think Southern Motion gives you good bang for your buck, I would have no reservations putting one in my home. If you find one that is comfortable to you, fits your budget, and looks great in your space, I'd say go for it.
    -Tyler

olegig Guest

Hey Tyler,

Thanks for your reply and input.
    I always enjoy finding new USA companies who are doing quality work or building a quality product in competition with other great USA companies. This is how a free market should work.
    When one or two companies have a market cornered and start pricing themselves too high, it leaves room for new guys to step in and build the same quality at a reasonable price point.
    The free market keeps everyone honest.

again, thanks for your input........

catlover Guest

Tyler...when you say comparable to a Lane--I don't know if that's a good comparison because I've read pretty bad reviews on Lane. I'm looking at Southern Motion also because I don't want to pay $8-10K for leather furniture. I'm also looking at Palliser. Anyone know which is best or a preference?

Applegator Guest

Hi Catlover: I don't know about today but 18 years ago we bought a beautiful sectional with reclining chairs on each end made by Lane. The fabric has held up beautifully and we've had no problems with it. It's just that after 18 years of sitting in the same reclining chair the cushion is not as firm as it use to be. We feel we definitely got our moneys worth out of it! We've started looking for a new couch and have been disappointed by the cheap looking fabric choices out there which is probably why we will go with leather this time. Yesterday, I saw a couch with reclining chairs on each end made by Southern Motion that could be made with 100% top grain leather in the color putty for $1500. I was shocked to find that some "leathers" are not leather at all but are 100% polyurethane or is only 15 - 20% leather and the remainder made from a combination of other materials. It certainly is important to pay attention to what the "leather" is made from! I, like olegig am looking for people who have had experience with Southern Motion. At this point, I'm not sure what company to buy from but Southern Motion looks good...... but will their reclininer couch hold up?

catlover Guest

We finally made the decision to purchase Southern Motion. We had originally purchased the Southern Motion Fandango with the memory foam seating. We purchased a power reclining sofa and two power recliners. We did not like it after it was delivered. It is a leather match I'd say to steer clear of it. It has very clean/modern lines but very little padding in the arms and that is what started to break down after only 2 months. I think it had more to do with the style than the quality of Southern Motion.

We looked at every major manufacturer in the mid-range. After doing a lot of research, we decided to stay with Southern Motion. We wanted to see other models the store we purchased from did not carry, so we drove to another city who had a gallery of Southern Motion. We decided on the Cagney reclining sofa and two recliners. We love it!! It is a much better quality leather match than the Fandango. It has a stuffed pillow arm and we like it much better. Very comfortable and the power is very quiet and fluid. We've had it about 3 months and so far we are very pleased.

Applegator Guest

Thumbs down Re: Any experience with Southern Motion recliners?

Quote Originally Posted by catlover View Post
    We finally made the decision to purchase Southern Motion. We had originally purchased the Southern Motion Fandango with the memory foam seating. We purchased a power reclining sofa and two power recliners. We did not like it after it was delivered. It is a leather match I'd say to steer clear of it. It has very clean/modern lines but very little padding in the arms and that is what started to break down after only 2 months. I think it had more to do with the style than the quality of Southern Motion.

We looked at every major manufacturer in the mid-range. After doing a lot of research, we decided to stay with Southern Motion. We wanted to see other models the store we purchased from did not carry, so we drove to another city who had a gallery of Southern Motion. We decided on the Cagney reclining sofa and two recliners. We love it!! It is a much better quality leather match than the Fandango. It has a stuffed pillow arm and we like it much better. Very comfortable and the power is very quiet and fluid. We've had it about 3 months and so far we are very pleased.
    Thank you for your feedback, Catlover! It is very helpful! We are looking at the Maximus Southern Motion reclining sofa. By the way, do you have cats? If so, how is the leather holding up to the cat's claws? Our cat is good about using her scratch posts but occasionally when jumping up on the sofa she loses her balance and uses her claws to catch herself. I would go with fabric. But, I have searched high and low and have been unable to find any fabric in any store that I like or has a quality look to it.

catlover Guest

We had a cat but had to put him down about 3 years ago. I have no pets now. We would love to have another pet but with the leather we've chosen not to. I've heard pros/cons to pets and leather. Some people have it and pets, and have no problems. Our cat was all over our furniture jumping up and down, so I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with a cat and leather.

I know what you mean about fabric and I think Southern Motion is limited in their fabric choices. If you're considering fabric, have you looked at Broyhill? I have two stationary sofas that I bought from Broyhill over 10 years ago, both still look great.

Applegator Guest

Hi Catlover, Thanks for the feedback! We did not look at Broyhill but thanks for the suggestion. We ordered our Southern Motion reclining sofa yesterday in Putty top grain leather. We'll see how it goes......I would never want to live without my pets! I will train my cat to only sit in my lap or on a blanket I'll place on the couch. She was easily trained not to scratch the furniture. She has both horizontal and vertical scratch posts that she uses for scratching. She does not scratch the furniture.

catlover Guest

Applegator...glad to hear you chose Southern Motion, and I love the Putty--nice neutral color. I miss my cat like crazy. He got kidney disease, plus he was about 17 years old. He was a Snowshoe Seal Siamese we found wandering our yard. We took him to the vet and posted a lost cat but no one ever came forward for him, so he became ours. He loved my husband and followed him every where. He would sit on his lap for hours and go to bed with him. Putting him down was the hardest thing I ever did. Enjoy your new furniture!