Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: H&M Leather Failure

leather questioner Guest

Default Re: H&M Leather Failure

Thanks, anyway, but this is not their procedure so no luck.

Quote Originally Posted by leather questioner View Post
    Thanks, anyway, but this is not their procedure so no luck.
    Well, yes it is. Without more detail on whom you spoke for and what was discussed there is not much else I can do to assist.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

leather questioner Guest

The person to whom I spoke asked where I purchased the sofa. When I told her, she said I would have to go through the store to send something for evaluation and repair. Then she asked for the name of the person who suggested I call HM directly. I was not able to give her that information and am not sure that would have made a difference.

My name is Duane Collie. You can always give my name out if you choose to do so. That is what the customer service personnel are told to say at H&M - you can call and ask for the CEO of the company, Jack Glasheen, and he will remember my conversation with him from last week about your sofa. Alternatively you can work through your selling dealer and do it all that way as well.
    Duane Collie

leather questioner Guest

Duane,
    With the busy holiday season, I have not had time until today to write and thank you for all the information on this forum as well as your help with getting my H & M sofa repaired. Without your help, I would not have known to work through my dealer to have the sofa transported which was a huge help considering my location. Even at a cost of $550, I did not have to locate a shipping company (who might have been that costly) or try to figure out to whom I needed to speak once the sofa arrived. The dealer took care of that.

Our sofa was picked up on August 20 and returned on December 10. About a month after it left here, I got an estimate of $1082 for the repairs. I was able to contact Mr. Glasheen who had not seen it. Within a day of my contacting him, he left a voice mail for me that the sofa had been repaired at no charge and that they had included some arm covers which should help in the future. Without your help, I would not have known what to do and would still be looking for a leather repair company or a good upholsterer. Thank you.

Due to the number of consumers who are not happy with the Document Leather and now understanding what protected leather really is, I am not very confident that the repairs, especially the color, will hold. However, I am determined to do my best to insure that the repairs last as long as possible.

I have asked several times but never received an answer as to recommended cleaning products and a schedule for applying them. Before repairs, I used the Leather Solutions cleaning kit. I did not know until looking here after not getting an answer from Mr. Glasheen that Leather Solutions is their recommended product. I cannot understand why he did not tell me that when I inquired. Nevertheless, could you tell me how often I need to apply these products?

Not knowing the best product to use, I have been wiping the sofa off daily with a damp cloth. Other than occasional company, my husband is the only person who sits on it. Since body oil issues were supposed to be what led to the leather failure, he is now showering and changing clothes first. I still do not understand how body oil issues would cause color to rub off, but the important thing now is to prevent that from happening again.

If you know of something better, please let me know. I would really like to purchase any products I need from you if possible. I am very sorry I am not in the market for upholstered pieces right now as I bought those at the same time as the sofa, and they are in great shape.

I assure you I am not as paranoid as I sound, but I do feel like the sofa owns us rather than the other way around! However, I am now shopping for other pieces of furniture, and I need to take the best care possible of what I already have. Just three years old, the sofa has become a giant elephant in the room. Even so, I very much hope I can replace it later rather than sooner.

Again, thank you so very much for your help. I will watch for your recommendation on the cleaning products and hopefully do business with you in the future.

I'm glad that all worked out for you!

Yes, Hancock and Moore is very much keen on the Leather Solutions product kit, which I have available for $ 49.99 in the store and shipping via Priority Mail adds $ 12.00 to that.

Generally, 2 to 4 times per year is the schedule to apply. Leather Solutions will tell you every three months, but I know I do mine every 6 at my home. Anything is better than nothing, you know?

Some people release chemicals in their body oils that damage leather, it can cause paint to life on a finished leather and dark stains on an aniline hide. Most the time when we see this occur, it happens to be men who are on medications. Its fairly infrequent, but can occur. Doing the damp cloth wipe down helps a lot, and thats about all you really can do.

If you get a chance, write Jack Glasheen a 'Thank You' note at H&M (if you haven't done so) that goes a long way with him being a true southern gentleman and he remembers who does and does not, and it even comes up in our conversations. No other upholstery maker that I know of will do what they are willing to do in the realm of customer service.
    Duane Collie