Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leather cleaner

Vanguard Guest

Default Re: Leather cleaner

I just purchased a floor sample "4836ST-PL Editors Swivel Tilt Chair" as found in the 2012 Town and Country Collection that you posted, that is already 4 years old (build date 10/09/09). Even though the leather is nice looking, I can't help but think 4 years on the showroom floor might have dried the leather out.

If you could advise and let me know if you are still selling a leather care product, I am anxious to condition and protect the chair. The store only carries the Guardsman cleaner and protector products, which I have no idea if they are good or not.

Is it possible to find out if this leather was cut in China or N.C.? It is in the Document Claret. The furniture tags say made in the USA, but they may be speaking to the padding and not the leather. I'm not certain it matters since I do like the chair, but I would prefer to think it all came from N.C.

I am assuming this is a protected leather, but frankly I may be wrong with that as well. If you could let me know exactly what I need to take care of my aging "new" chair, I would appreciate it, and would be happy to purchase the kit directly from you.

Thanks in advance for all you do.

The leather doesn't 'dry out' but accumulated oils and dirt from use should be wiped off periodically. Its a good idea to use a viable cleaner and conditioner 2x a year as well. A damp cloth with a dab of Ivory Bar Soap on it will suffice as a good cleaner - not too much soap and not too much water. Guardsman products are NOT recommended on any H&M leather and can cause damage on certain hides. Leather Magic is an approved cleaner/conditioner and I have it in my store. Shipped price is $ 38.50 for (1) bottle of cleaner and (1) bottle of conditioner (8 oz each)

Document series leather is from a Chinese tannery. Yes, it is a painted, or finished, or pigmented leather (the industry calls those 'protected' but that's misleading because it implies an armored barrier, all it really means is its painted rather than dyed). There are no North Carolina tanneries, and only a handful left in the USA. 99% of all leather used in furniture is imported, with the best leathers coming out of Europe and the least costly ones from China.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Vanguard Guest

Thanks so much for the detailed information on my chair. I was thinking that somewhere on your forum, I read that H&M had stopped using China as a source for married leather programs, due to the possibility of toxic leaching from the leathers surface. Perhaps that was for leather cut in china and shipped to H&M as a kit, but I am unable to relocate that discussion so perhaps you can clear that up for me. I also have a September Sofa I purchased some 5 years ago, that I do fall asleep on while watching T.V. (at 58 that seems to happen more often than not), and have been using a cover sheet ever since i read that particular post, since I am almost certain the sofa was part of a special purchase program (and likely to have come from a Chinese tannery), much like the current Town and Country program my new chair is part of now. The possibility exists I have completely misunderstood the entire China issue and if so, please forgive me. By the way, after your last response, I sent you a PM with my credit card information to purchase your leather cleaner/conditioner, but now realize one order may not be enough considering I intend to also use it on my sofa. Please advise and if you think I need two, go ahead and charge me for a double order.

Again, thank you for all you do and the education you provide everyone on this forum.

You may want to read this post...

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...hanks-to-Duane

You should be find on your September sofa which is probably in Document. I've not heard the first inkling that there is anything hazardous on the hides and if there were H&M would not sell it.

Your cleaner/conditioner is on the way, one set should be fine - you can always get more!

Thanks
    Duane
    Duane Collie

Vanguard Guest

Thanks for the link....I think that is the one I read, and in my head combined that information with your comments in the following:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load...902025656.html

This is what happens to me when I cram information for several days at a time. It all starts melding together. Damn those Chinese chemicals !!! j/k......

I do know for certain that when I come to Washington to order my next piece of H&M, I will be selecting leather that we know for certain does not come from China. I am thinking something in a grade 4 would do it.

Thanks again Duane.

Gardenweb was a LONG time ago, too. I'm smarter now...lol
    Duane Collie