Thread: Patio Furniture -- Weather Resistant?

trclac Guest

Default Patio Furniture -- Weather Resistant?

We purchased what we thought was a very durable patio furniture set two years ago -- and for the price, we assumed it was weather resistant. Two years later, the paint is chipping away and rust is setting in. Luckily, we have a three year warranty on the entire set, so the store gave us a full refund in the form of a store credit. But, so that we don't run into this issue again, what would people say would be the best, weather-resistant material to use with regard to high-quality patio furniture? If not for the three-year warranty, we could have been out $6k, so we're trying to do our homework this time on the best weather-resistant materials available.

We live just west of Houston, FYI, where we get a lot of hot, humid weather, and experience rainy seasons.

Thanks!

Judyg951 Guest

Default Re: Patio Furniture -- Weather Resistant?

I have Tropitone patio furniture and it has weathered well in our hot Riverside summers. You can probably get some good deals on any patio furniture now as it is the end of the summer season.

Cast aluminum with powder coating finish is probably your best choice. We recently purchased a new table and chairs from a local dealer of The Pride Family Brand manufacturers. We selected the Castelle Grand Regent model. Our previous set was purchased from Home Depot and lasted only about 5 years before the light guage structural elements failed. Our new set has a 15 year warrantee and our dealer whom I trust and respect assures me that the set will indeed last that long or longer. Good luck in your research and be sure to let us know your choice. And by the way welcome to the forum.

Larry
    Last edited by cuse69; 09-16-2012 at 09:21 PM.

MsBluebird Guest

Larry,

We live in South Mississippi and you don't get hotter or more humid than here. We have had Summer Classics patio furniture for about 5 years now and it has done great. It looks like new. We do have the wrought iron (because we wanted "spring" chairs) and although they say it isn't the best choise for coastal climates we have been extremely pleased with the furniture. We live about 5 miles north of the Gulf of Mexico. It's not cheap so we bought during one of their end of summer sale which I think is about this time of year. Anyway, if you go to their websites, http://www.summerclassics.com/, there are 'icons' designating which environmental climate is best suited for a
    particular outdoor furniture collection. Also, in case it matters, I don't think the furniture is made in the USA any more but the company was started by an Auburn University graduate. Go Tigers!

denali Guest

Have you thought about the polywood furniture that the Amish make. I bought a glider a few years back and leave it out through the winter. Don't get too much snow here in VA though. It looks the same as when I bought it.