Thread: Leather care and durability

Srarfamily Guest

Default Leather care and durability

3 months ago I got my first set of leather furniture, H&M Austin sofa, ottoman, and tilt back chair in document tobacco. It is the most comfortable furniture I have ever had, but I am concerned about caring for it. It is already getting creased and puckering in the places we sit most often. For instance the cushions on the seat and back of the middle of of the coach look much smoother than the cushions on the ends. It is still extremely comfortable, but it is already looking a little old. Is that normal for leather? Should I be conditioning the leather? I can see where that might help prevent damage from the creasing, but it still seems like the puckering would be a problem.

This furniture is in a family room, and is used most days. Although there was about 6 weeks when we barely used it at all so it really is quite new.

Thanks for any advice.

Default Re: Leather care and durability

They call that 'puddling' in the trade (North Carolina-speak), and that's a result of leather stretching. Nothing you can do will prevent that from happening, so its to be expected. It should not stretch to the point where you can literally grab a loose fold in your hands and if that happens, H&M will re-sew the cover tops for you. They do use only "A" Grade Steer hide, which stretches less than cowhide.

If something like that really bothers you, then at time of order you can request extra-full cushions at no extra charge but you will get higher crowns with that.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.