Thread: Office chair broke

bakerfowler Guest

Default Office chair broke

now im sure there have been many posts about a office chair breaking but i am trying to find a way to fix mine, ill start by telling you what happened. i was sitting in my shair and my freind came up and puched me to the side, me being on carpet the wheels dont roll very much so the chair tilted and stayed that way. i took the base off and found that the wooden base had cracked at one of the screwpoints so it must have pushed through. i payed alot for this char and havent had it long so i called the manufacturer and to my surprise they wont fix it, i figured that much. my thought is to cut a 1inch thick peice of wood and somehow attach the base to it, then paint it black and screw it against the existing wood. would this be able to fix my chair? and how would i attatch the base to the new peice of wood?

Default Re: office chair broke

Have to see photos in detail from all angles to advise a repair. No cell phone photos either - had to be high def and clear and in focus!

Option 2: have the maker sell you a new base, they should be able to do that and most are very simple to install, much better path than a repair.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

circletrader Guest

Default Re: office chair broke

I do office furniture repair regularly. The great thing about office furniture is that they're modular products - meaning parts can often be swapped out. Honestly, I think your best option is to replace the base. You could buy one from the manufacturer like drcollie says, or you could measure your cylinder diameter and find a replacement base online. There are all kinds of office chair parts companies on the web. I don't know how old your chair is, but you could always find a cheap chair on craiglist (old ones go for about $10-$20) and you can swap about a base from that chair.

PS. I just saw that this post is older, but hopefully my answer helps future browsers.