Thread: LIghting? Where do you like to shop?

Rafree1 Guest

Default LIghting? Where do you like to shop?

It seems like a little thing but, it's really not. What type of lighting you chose and where you place it can make a room. It seems like every fixture I fall for is outrageously expensive though. However, I'd rather have my room pulled together properly and lighting can make a huge difference. Are there any online places you recommend?

hardyart Guest

Default Re: LIghting? Where do you like to shop?

I don't have a particular online seller, but I have a particular brand, sold all over the internet. http://www.quoruminternational.com/. I've bought lots of their products as a contractor and they never disappoint.

MJM_CA Guest

I've bought a lot of lamps and fixtures online.

I love Circalighting.com. But they aren't cheap and rarely have sales.
    Lamps.com customer service is good and they include the light bulbs with their fixtures.
    LightingDirect.com is also a good site. Many user reviews and they're responsive to questions and post them on the site which is helpful.
    Horchow.com has a good selection of unusual lamps and good customer service but only buy when they have the regular 40% off sales to get a decent deal.
    Rejuvenation.com is good for period pieces.

Ceiling fan brand I like best is Fanimation. I do like Casablanca too but they were bought out by Hunter.

Rafree1 Guest

Good suggestions all! I've used one or two of them but have not heard of Rejuvination and will look them up! I have used Barnlightelectric before as they had a particular railroad pendant I wanted. Circa has some very nice fixtures!
    Last edited by Rafree1; 09-25-2012 at 11:08 PM.

Snappy Guest

I've been very happy with the vintage and antique fixtures that we got from Preservation Station
    http://www.thepreservationstation.co...ting-html.html

If you're looking for something along those lines, I highly recommend them.

One of the things to be aware of is builder's usually undersize fixtures in a home. When shopping lighting, especially for dining rooms - consider going larger by about 20% overall - it can really make a difference. And chandeliers suspending from the ceiling should be at center mass, eye-level. Not up tight to the ceiling.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

I take it that you don't have a chandelier in your foyer, or if you do that it's quite a conversation piece.

hardyart Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    One of the things to be aware of is builder's usually undersize fixtures in a home. When shopping lighting, especially for dining rooms - consider going larger by about 20% overall - it can really make a difference. And chandeliers suspending from the ceiling should be at center mass, eye-level. Not up tight to the ceiling.
    I couldn't agree more.

I'd stay away from the big box stores, unless you order from a catalog.

Rafree1 Guest

I'm going to have my husband read this post! We've had this "discussion" I want to go larger and further down from the ceiling than the way the fixtures were put into this house to begin with. There's no statement made there and it makes the area look funny with such small fixtures for the size of the space. We've done ceiling fans and task lighting in the bedrooms so no need to worry there but, the same discussion ensued. He said" "Those ceiling fans will be too big over the beds and cause a problem" Once in they looked great!

Hardyart, the big box stores and nothing at all I remotely liked. All of them done with that same fake "Italian" look with that really fake looking amber glass or they were super modern, shiny and not made of very good materials. You could tell from a mile away they were cheap. They looked it. It's been quite frustrating finding just the right lighting. You have to think about tasks, how much light the room needs, design elements and cost. Hourzz and Pin Interest can sometimes lead you to some good ideas too.