Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help Choosing and Customizing a Sofa

Default Re: Help Choosing and Customizing a Sofa

Oh, there will be new frames at Market, I can guarantee you! And photos of them will be here on this forum a month before anyone else posts them.

To replace a sleeper mechanism with a coil suspension system - bet that's going to be costly. Never had that custom request though, so I'm not entirely sure.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Stealthq Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    To replace a sleeper mechanism with a coil suspension system - bet that's going to be costly. Never had that custom request though, so I'm not entirely sure.
    That's what I would think - I wasn't even planning on asking for a quote on that, figured it wasn't as important as being able to choose the leather I want.

Stealthq Guest

Along those lines ...

What is the pricing scheme for COL? I know for COM it's frequently the price of the piece in a low grade fabric (then you buy the fabric, ship it, etc). I ask because I've stumbled across a company that according to a business article is one of the sources for Hancock and Moore's leather. I have no doubt it is the case - some of the leather lines have the same name, same description, same source country, which is how I found the site in the first place. But, they have more selection in the colors that interest me the most - paler beiges, greys, medium to light toned neutral browns.

A COL will cost you about double over using an existing H&M leather. It's not very viable from a cost/value perspective.
    Duane Collie

Stealthq Guest

Ouch. Guess that idea is out, then.

Stealthq Guest

OK, the leather samples have arrived, thank you drcollie, very much. I had a couple of quick eliminations. Tierra French Luggage is too splotchy-looking, Equestrian Desert looks dull/bland in my room, and Cameo Carmel Burnished is too dark. The rest are enough in the ballpark to consider. Interestingly enough, my little sample of Capri Birch has much more variation than the dealer sample so I'm not sure I accomplished what I wanted to there.

Quick list of what I asked for just for reference:

dealer size sample:
    Capri Birch

smaller samples:
    Cameo
    Cameo Carmel Burnished
    Cameo Tan Burnished
    Cameo Luggage Burnished
    Equestrian Desert
    Giseppe Saddle Burnished
    Mesquite Saddle
    Palamino Bone
    Sedona Almond
    Tierra French Luggage
    Last edited by Stealthq; 11-08-2012 at 07:51 PM.

Stealthq Guest

Do any of the remaining leathers stand out to anyone as a better/poorer choice (and why)?

I will say that in addition to the Capri Birch, I really like the hand on the Palomino Bone - not as smooth as the others and doesn't feel like it has a light coat of wax like the others do.
    Last edited by Stealthq; 11-08-2012 at 08:04 PM.

You have to be cautious with Capri Birch. It has a LOT of high-low to it, and can come out highly variegated -looking in larger pieces. I will say I don't care for it on sofas and sectionals, its too 'busy'. On the Burnished hides, you can never get a feel for them on a small sample. Better to look at them on the photo library on existing pieces. Palomino was new at Spring Market 2012 and I've not seen it made up, sorry!
    Duane Collie

Stealthq Guest

Well, I'm disappointed, but I won't be going for the Capri Birch. Just too much difference in the samples for me to be comfortable with it. I think that my large sample is an example of the 'highs' - almost no variation to it, lighter, yellow undertone. The smaller sample that I really love is very wrinkled, lots of light brown on the hills, with the color from the larger samples just visible in the valleys.

I'm passing on the Palomino too - too much red in it.

At the moment, I've got three pretty good possibilities depending on the look I decide to go for. If I want a lighter sofa, I think I'd pick Cameo Tan Burnished, maybe Cameo Carmel Burnished since I've seen that in person and really liked it. The Tan is between the Carmel and the Luggage color-wise so I think I'd be better insured against surprises. If I want a darker sofa and decide that more monochromatic is OK, the Equestrian Toffee (previous sample) will work. If I am OK with darker but really want some variation, Tiburon Stone is really pretty and I like the pics of furniture in this leather. I think I'd like it even more on a tufted piece.

I do keep going back to those Capri leathers, though. Who knows, maybe I'll decide to go really dark and pick one of the other colors of Capri. Yes, I AM nuts. And I love options. Lots and lots of options. Good thing I have lots of time as well.

Here's what you do.... Order the Capri Birch but specify a CFA (Cutting For Approval). You'll get a large swatch of the actual hide they will use in your build and you get to approve it - or not - before it goes into production. If you don't like the leather when you see it, then you can switch to something else.
    Duane Collie