Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Problems with a flexsteel large leather sectional couch with two recliners

johnnyd67 Guest

Default Problems with a flexsteel large leather sectional couch with two recliners

I purchased a very large leather sectional flexsteel couch with recliners on opposite ends.My experiecne was the worst buying experience in my 64 years of living.The only reason I bought flexsteel was they had the color of leather I wanted otherwise I would have bought another brand.I felt the quality was not qorth the high price.Well I had bought other sectional couches in the 1970`s and 1980 when they were first popular.I had had problems with the fabric or leather sections matching in color and shade.Now I am not picky I understand everything can`t be perfect.But when the dyelots are completely different we have a problem with the couch looking like a checkerd board.I sent many E-mails to flexsteel asking to save time having the couch sent back Please make sure the sections match to the point they look like they belong together.My couch was ordered from the factory and I had to wait weeks for delivery.Well what do you know one section was completely different.Not only in the color but the Leather was rough and much darker than the other sections.All athe other sections matched very well.But this one section was so different it looked like it belonged to a different couch.The leather was terrible rough to touch and look at much darker and just completely of poor quality,and the recliner was sticking and not releasing and catching properly.I fired off an e-mail questioning why this had to happen.I received a phone call from a man identifying him as the owner of the company.He was unbelievably rude ,condesending,called me names and just plain told me off for complaining about the couch.Also he told me that He will not warranty the product if I keep the couch.and he will not replace the couch telling me he was not going to sell me another couch.The guy was actually yelling at me and calling me names..Heres the catch.I paid 4 thousand cash for the couch but they wanted to come back and pick up the couch,with no replacement and I would not get my money back for a couple of weeks.So I will have no couch and no money.Hoping that at some time I might receive my money back.Flexsteel has the worst customer service,and the man who called me was a completely unprofessional J-rk.I ending up having the one section re covered in matching leather by a local upolstery shop.You can do much better with other brand furniture.Thank you JD

Default Re: purchased a flexsteel large leather sectional couch with two recliners

Are you SURE you spoke with someone (i.e., The Owner) at Flexsteel Corporate? Perhaps it was your local dealer instead? Flexsteel is a publicly traded corporation (FLXS) so there is no owner to speak with per se, and I seriously doubt you would be speaking with the CEO of Flexsteel over a residential purchase issue. As a former Flexsteel dealer, I never encountered an issue in un-professionalism in dealing with corporate, it sounds to me like you were dealing with the store you purchased it from, and that's a horse of a different color.

When a dealer picks up a piece on return, its doubtful they ever have a replacement as yours was a special order, that's not unusual. As for a refund - it can take time to process depending on your form of payment.

I don't like to see posts like this where your very first entry you make here is to slam a company that has a good reputation in the trade, and is a respected mid-line producer. This is a rant, and I'll let it stand, but think its in bad taste to run around the internet and join forums like this with the sole purpose of trashing a company when it sounds like much of your personality clashes were with the selling dealer.
    Last edited by drcollie; 10-01-2012 at 06:24 PM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

johnnyd67 Guest

Default Re: purchased a flexsteel large leather sectional couch with two recliners

I am sure The owner of the company called me and not anyone associated with the store where I purchased the couch.First this was 5 ,6 maybe 7 years ago.This guy was yelling at me about an e-mail I sent to the flexsteel company from their website.They were custom making the couch and I was asking them to make sure all the sections looked to some degree that they were all from the same piece of leather.I just wanted the sections to match,not perfectly just look like they are a set.When I called the store to have the couch returned they also told me that the owner called them and he said to not sell or replace the couch and he wasnt going to honor any warranty If I kept the couch.When I was on the phone talking to this guy who called himself the owner of the store was pissed at my complaints and the e-mail I sent off to the main company asking how incompetent they were that Quality control was so poor.Something about his mother or some family member having to read my complain.My complaint had no curse words nothing un professional other than accusing them of being incompetent and not paying any attention to my request ,accusing the receiver of my e-mail being an incompetent employee.I kept the couch because I didnt trust the store would return my 4 thousand dollars in a timely manner while my livingroom sat empty.The store was North carolina furniture direct in San Marcos Texas.

It's going to be difficult to figure out what happened, six years after-the-fact. If you have any photographs showing the problem, although I suspect it's a long-shot this long after-the-fact, it would be interesting to see them.

This is one of those times when I wish furniture manufacturers weren't so reticent about having somebody represent them on this board.

Given that the person who placed the call identified himself s the owner, while Flexsteel is publicly traded, the quoted statement, "he was not going to sell me another couch" when Flexsteel was not the vendor, and the statement that, "his mother or some family member having to read my complain[t]", it seems more plausible that the email was forwarded by Flexsteel to the store (which describes itself as family-owned) and that the conversation was with somebody from the store.

Default Re: Problems with a flexsteel large leather sectional couch with two recliners

I don't know where you live but in many major cities there is a non-profit consumer help organization named Call for Action whose mission is to help people with problems like yours. Call for Action is usually affiliated with a local radio or TV station which gives them some clout when going after a local merchant. They do not charge for their services.

johnnyd67 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by aaron View Post
    It's going to be difficult to figure out what happened, six years after-the-fact. If you have any photographs showing the problem, although I suspect it's a long-shot this long after-the-fact, it would be interesting to see them.

This is one of those times when I wish furniture manufacturers weren't so reticent about having somebody represent them on this board.

Given that the person who placed the call identified himself s the owner, while Flexsteel is publicly traded, the quoted statement, "he was not going to sell me another couch" when Flexsteel was not the vendor, and the statement that, "his mother or some family member having to read my complain[t]", it seems more plausible that the email was forwarded by Flexsteel to the store (which describes itself as family-owned) and that the conversation was with somebody from the store.
    I feel as I am being misunderstood.I am not running around the internet trashing a company.I have been very busy these last 6 years.Now that I am retired I was puttsing around here and still mad that the store told me the same man that called me identifying himself as the owner of flexsteel told the store he would not warranty the couch if I kept it and would not sell me another couch.Then the store told they would pick up the couch and it would take up to 3 weeks to return my my $4,000.00.A lawyer told me not to let the couch go unitl they either replace the couch with another couch or return your money.Well!! yes I am still pissed that they did this to me.I did nothing but try to avoid this sitiuation by sending at least 3 e-mails to the felxsteel company asking them to please make sure the leather couch section match and look at least like they belong together.Even the delivery man was amazed how different the leather color and texture looked and felt.I had to keep the couch also because I have a very large living room and the large sectional couch that was in in the living room was gone.The store also wasn`t sure how they were going to handle the exchange either with another couch or refund.All I can tell you is what happened.You want to call me and talk to my wife and let her tell you her version..How bout this,you dont like this post just erase it.I will not bother anybody els about this again.I was just letting people how bad a time I had with these people.Since this happened.I did learn my lesson though. I will never buy/pay for furniture again till I see and touch the Items I am purchasing.One more thing about me.I have two college degrees,journalism and one in city planning.Also I was a flight instructor and commercial pilot for 5 years in the 1970`s.You can look up my name on the internet.My name is listed under holders of commercial pilot license.I m just saying Im not an illeterat even though my typing and composition is not so good.So !! If you want to just delete all this its ok with me.I think I will just move on with my life and forget about this while thing.I think I have let it bother me for far too long.Thank you for reading. JD

catlover Guest

Default Re: Problems with a flexsteel large leather sectional couch with two recliners

I was going to purchase a reclining sofa and 2 reclining chairs by Flexsteel. The Cambridge model. It is leather all over...no leather/vinyl match. I got a price of $4178 for the 3 pieces. That seemed like a good price to me for all leather. Then I started researching Flexsteel Latitudes and I've have read far more negative reviews than positive. The Latitudes comes out of China and I've heard terrible things about the leather. The Cambridge that I saw in the store was beautiful! It was more comfortable than anything I've looked at in that $4,000 range. That's still a lot of money to me. I know that Hancock & Moore would probably cost me close to $8,000-10,000 so that's out of the question. Most of the reviews I've read about Flexsteel Latitudes is for the leather/vinyl match and those are terrible also. They may be constructed well but if the leather cracks, peels, fades, splits, etc. you have no recourse. I've done a lot of research and there doesn't seem to be a mid-level furniture manufacturer that has any positive reviews. It's really frustrating to spend thousands and still not know what you're buying.

I don't think much of Flexsteel Latitudes, personally. I used to be a Flexsteel dealer and dropped that line after my first floor stock order.

Stay away from Bonded Leather. If the hides are are top grain, then its nothing to be concerned about. Two things you can pretty well take to the bank in the leather furniture industry:

1) Like most things in life, you get what you pay for.

2) Everything looks good when its new.

I'd rather buy a Bradington Young 912 series dual recliner sofa and (1) 912 recliner to stay in your budget and then get the second recliner a year later when its more comfortable to purchase than buy a Flexsteel Group for same money. The BY is light years ahead of Flexsteel. Just a thought.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

catlover Guest

The problem is getting my money back from the furniture store. They are allowing me to do a re-select but I can't find anything I like or feel comfortable with the quality. Forgive me, but I'm newbie to this forum. Do you sell furniture drcollie? Where and how does someone purchase from you?

I was told the leather on the Flexsteel group is top grain and was hand processed not by machine. This is what the Flexsteel rep told my salesperson. It's not bonded leather, fortunately I knew about the problems with bonded leather so steered away from that.

I like the idea of the sofa and 1 recliner now and another later. Good thinking. Now, getting a refund will be the challenge.

catlover Guest

What would be the causes of full top grain leather peeling, cracking, fading, splitting, etc?