Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Problems with a flexsteel large leather sectional couch with two recliners

Default Re: Problems with a flexsteel large leather sectional couch with two recliners

Oh yes, I own this forum and The Keeping Room store, which you can link to at the top under the banner. I ship all over the country as well.

I'm confused though...have you ordered the pieces already? Taken delivery of them? Or are they floor models? If they are floor models or an order that has not yet put into production, then most (but not every) store will allow you to cancel for a small fee to cover the credit card merchant fees they don't get back. If you already have then pieces or its too late to cancel then that's a different story...every store sets their own policies and terms and of course you want to see what they are before you buy, not after. Sorry.

If you can't get out of the purchase, than stay with the Flexsteel, just make sure its not the bonded leather as that stuff is really poor quality. I am getting a kick out of the 'hand-processed' remark though, all leather tanneries use machines these days - makes a good sales pitch though!

Don't take a hit to your money, the Flexsteel will hold up for you its just there are nicer made products in the market place for not too much more money - is all. If you're locked into it, then just go with it is my recommendation. Good luck.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: Problems with a flexsteel large leather sectional couch with two recliners

Quote Originally Posted by catlover View Post
    What would be the causes of full top grain leather peeling, cracking, fading, splitting, etc?
    Failure to clean dirt and body oils off the hide.
    Duane Collie

catlover Guest

Geez...how I wish I had found this forum before I made my purchase. I purchased a Southern Motion leather/match power reclining sofa and 2 power recliners. I've only had 3 months. The arms on the recliners have indentations that are very deep. These are not pillow top arms but more a padded rolled arm. I complained about it because of the short amount of time we've had them. So, the store manager said they would allow a re-select. I was going to purchase Flexsteel but almost everything I've read has been negative. Most of the complaints have been about the leather out of China, ie. too thin, flaking, peeling, splitting, fading.

If your choice was between another Southern Motion or the Flexsteel which would you chose? I've heard that Flexsteel in China just does the cutting and sewing not the assembly. Also, do you know if they have there own tanneries or where does the leather come from?

Could you give me a price on the Bradington Young 912?
    Last edited by catlover; 04-05-2013 at 04:11 PM.

catlover Guest

I was reading the Leather Tips. So, can splits be used in furniture in the US? If I remember correctly, on the Flexsteel Cambridge which I was told was "all leather", I think the salesman told me the sides and back were splits. If that's the case then I probably don't want that, correct?

I'm not familiar with the build of Southern Motion, so I can't comment on that. On the Flexsteel, get the USA-made series (not the Latitude series) is my recommendation. Be sure to thank your store you bought it from, they're being very generous to allow you to do a re-select on another brand. Lattitudes is 100% made in China, the standard Flexsteel USA made line is produced in either Iowa, Mississippi or Pennsylvania. As to leathers, buy the most expensive grade they have! Not all Chinese hides are bad - but some are. Leathers come from all over the world, I have no idea whom Flexsteel sources on their various lines now -but the best leather is European.

Splits are often used on the sides and backs of lower-priced furniture to reduce the cost. They can be anywhere from "just OK" to "lousy". Lots of makers do it, both in the US and imported.
    Duane Collie

catlover Guest

I am working with the store manager and she is the BEST!!! I have no complaints about the store, whatsoever. They are working with me to make me happy and I appreciate that. I wish I could start again, but I'm trying to do the best I can with the choices I have. The Flexsteel USA will cost me about $7500. I was quote $3899 for the Chicago and $1549 each recliner. Way above my budget. Who would you suggest in the $4,000-4500 range? I've inquired to see if the store I'm working with can get Bradington Young, but I have a feeling it will be just as much.

...and might I say "thank you" to you for your advice and expertise.

Yikes. Those prices are pretty dear for Flexsteel. That's a full markup.

I can't really make a suggestion for you because every store sets their own pricing structure, so I have no idea what $ 4K will buy in that store. B-Y sells above Flexsteel, so even if that store would be able to get it, base on their margins it would be around $ 10K from them.
    Duane Collie

catlover Guest

Yikes!! I thought $7500 was a lot. Forgive me...but what is a full markup? 100% over cost? Anyway to negotiate? How could I find out their cost? Well, I guess I'm back to Southern Motion. At least they use an oak frame, but the finish work isn't the best. They are within my range but I don't think they are going to look the best long term. I'm very obsessive about researching before I buy and I did that, but really didn't find many negatives about Southern Motion. I was going to buy Palliser about a year ago, but read really negative reviews about them. Leaves a buyer scratching their head because it seems like mid-level furniture is crap. I do take very good care of my things. The furniture I am replacing was bought at Rooms to Go over 15 years ago. Of course, furniture was a different beast 15 years ago. It was probably made in the US and for inexpensive stuff it was probably better than what's coming out of China today.

"Full Markup" in this business is known as a "Keystone", and is typically 2x the wholesale cost. I don't think you'll be able to find out the dealer cost unless you ask them to show it to you - and they're not going to do that. Mid-level furniture isn't necessarily bad, keep in mind that for every negative review you read there are at least twenty people happy with what they got but they don't post about it. Such is the nature of the internet! In any case you don't really have a lot of options since its a replacement and the store is doing this on goodwill, so take them up on it and enjoy the pieces.
    Duane Collie

Betty Ann Guest

I am SO GLAD to have found this forum BEFORE I made a costly Flexsteel purchase. Approx 6 years ago I purchased a 3 piece set living room set of Flexsteel. Although it is extremely heavy is it very comfortable.One of my dogs laid in the same spot at one end of the sofa and the leather surface has broke down/ split.The recliner and love seat are still in really good condition.I started shopping for replacement furniture yesterday and found a furniture store which sells Flexsteel What I have samples of are Latitudes and now that I've read this forum I WILL NOT purchase Flexsteel.