Thread: New here and researching living room solutions!

BevoGal Guest

Default New here and researching living room solutions!

Hi All,

I just discovered this forum, but have appreciated all of the information I have found so far and decided to join in. My thoughts have been that H&M is out of my price range (note: not out of my taste range at all ), but I LOVE a true quality piece of furniture that lasts many years and now I have seen pictures of so many folks with the H&M pieces in their homes. I'm thinking this may be a reality after all. I want to post pictures of my room (and unfortunately the layout is in PDF form -- will have to get a jpg of that) and see what you think of a Sundance Sectional placed in the room (in a lighter color, taupe, almond, sand). I have one giant dark piece already (the piano), so I don't need another. We have three young children and a dog, but you'll also note that my white (yikes) sofas do not look too hideous for being from 1999. Because of the piano, space is tighter and we have to get the right piece to allow us all to sit and enjoy TV AND have smooth traffic flow around the room. We walk behind the current sofa and behind the current loveseat all the time (the kids just cut through by the side table). My husband insists on a sectional and not separate pieces, and I insist that the sectional must have a wedge/rounded corner so it doesn't jut into the breakfast room. Thanks in advance for any thoughts. I sent Duane a PM regarding a sample request and pricing on Sundance Sectional -- hope I'm following all the rules and posting in the right places!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4689.jpg 
Views:	309 
Size:	191.7 KB 
ID:	4011Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4691.jpg 
Views:	320 
Size:	192.3 KB 
ID:	4012Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4692.jpg 
Views:	326 
Size:	195.6 KB 
ID:	4013Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4694.jpg 
Views:	308 
Size:	194.1 KB 
ID:	4014Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4695.jpg 
Views:	321 
Size:	197.6 KB 
ID:	4015

BevoGal Guest

Default Re: New here and researching living room solutions!

This is the floorplan layout for the living room -- current sofa set up is 100" by 130". We cannot stretch that 100" side at all because of passing through by the piano, and I don't want to move the piano any closer to the windows. Many hours were spent deciding on that piano placement too, so consider that "stuck" there for any arrangements. And this image is actually a MIRROR of the true room.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-10-01 at 2.53.11 PM.jpg 
Views:	298 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	4017  
    Last edited by BevoGal; 10-01-2012 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Delete incorrect screen shot

BevoGal Guest

These are some leather options I pulled from the H&M site (french blue is thrown in for ottoman or pillow accents):

Antelope: Almond
    Caress: Dove, Wheat, Parchment, French Blue
    Capri: Birch
    Cavalier: Taupe
    Columbia: Taupe
    Document: Fawn
    Equestrian: Dessert
    Garfield: Mocha
    Piazza: Cameo, Sand, Parchment
    Supple: Beige
    Weston: French Blue

I think a Sundance Sectional would look smashing in your room, in perhaps a lighter camel color. You've got good colors on order (except the Weston French Blue - that would be WAY over the top). Toss out the Document Fawn, and the Caress series (while Caress is nice, its monochromatic and that's too much square footage in the piece for a 1-shade leather). You're going to LOVE the Capri, but it will break your budget - focus on the Piazza and the Colombia to get in at a reasonable price point.

Mind the dimensions, too. A sofa segment *might* be too big for the room. Remember that a Sundance is very deep, so allow for that depth when you lay out the schematics.

Samples ordered for you today....
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

BevoGal Guest

You are awesome, thanks!!

I think I will do the cardboard/brown paper/tape layout to get an idea of the size needed. Are you recommending two loveseats in a sectional, or a cut-down sofa segment in the sectional (should a sofa segment be too large)? I know there are price adjustments for any customization, and it looks like the difference in length is 113" (sofa) vs. 89" (sectional) - or 129" vs. 105" in "wall space", though mine would float in the middle of the room.

I measured my existing furniture at 39" deep, so you are correct that it will be deeper at 42". We are avg. in height, 5'5" for me and 6' for my husband, so we'd never want anything added to the depth. Overall, we want to make sure our growing boys (3 of them) can all gather together to watch football or sit to enjoy the piano concerts =) I want a nice ottoman so we can all put our feet up at once. That is another question I've seen posted - one big ottoman or two cubes pushed together? Lots of options at least.

Funny thing, no one sits on the current sofa. We avoid it! But I am sure a sectional would be more inviting. I'll let you know when I get the samples -- looking forward to it (and yes, I know I'll love that Capri too and will try to talk myself out of it =)).

I've always one to avoid overcrowding a room, and that added depth of the Sundance will occupy more floorspace. Best way to make sure is to get some masking tape and lay it out on the floor (the footprint), that way you'll know. Your room is only going to take it one way - so there's not much shifting to be down. You can also make a craft paper footprint of the piece as well. The Sundance sectional will fill space very quickly- just don't want you to have a crowding issue - the sofa segment may very well work, too. Don't customize if you can avoid it. It's fairly costly to do so.

Do the one big ottoman, its more usable than two cubes with a sectional.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.