Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Leather Sectional Project

BevoGal Guest

Default Leather Sectional Project

I recently posted in the Lobby area to introduce myself, and now I'm in the "put tape on the floor and get samples" phase of our project! I took some better photos of the room last night and will post those on this thread. I also want to post about how the tape lines up with our piano -- I really want a Sundance Sectional, but I'm worried there won't be enough of a walkway between the loveseat end and the piano. I'll also post the floorplan here so you can see. The long end of the sofa has to line up parallel to the kitchen pass-through/bar area (I think I could improve the traffic flow by the piano by re-angling the sofa, but that lack of parallelism would drive me crazy!). When my samples come in, I'll post images of those as well.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0092.jpg 
Views:	552 
Size:	188.7 KB 
ID:	4039Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0093.jpg 
Views:	534 
Size:	187.7 KB 
ID:	4040Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0094.jpg 
Views:	541 
Size:	183.9 KB 
ID:	4041Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0096.jpg 
Views:	540 
Size:	188.9 KB 
ID:	4042Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0097.jpg 
Views:	518 
Size:	190.1 KB 
ID:	4043

BevoGal Guest

Default Re: Leather Sectional Project

Here are a few shots of my tape markings (measured from H&M posted numbers for the Sundance sectional). From the looks of it, my sofa portion remains pretty similar, but the loveseat comes in closer and extends a bit more into the piano. The passageway is currently 40" but would be reduced to 25" =( The passageway between the kitchen bar and the back of the sofa is 44".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image.jpg 
Views:	452 
Size:	149.9 KB 
ID:	4044Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image 1.jpg 
Views:	456 
Size:	126.6 KB 
ID:	4045Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image 2.jpg 
Views:	455 
Size:	156.3 KB 
ID:	4046Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image 3.jpg 
Views:	465 
Size:	150.2 KB 
ID:	4047
    Last edited by BevoGal; 10-08-2012 at 03:51 PM.

BevoGal Guest

For an overhead view (sorry it's a mirror image - flip it in your mind), see the attached floorplanner image. I hate being limited by the piano, but it is staying put where it is. Believe it or not, it was UPSTAIRS in the old house and now we play it all the time as it is front and center. It's just a little inconvenient for furniture arranging...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-10-01 at 2.53.11 PM.jpg 
Views:	493 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	4048
    These are the links to the H&M measurements:
    (sofa) http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=1850
    (loveseat) http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=1877
    Last edited by BevoGal; 10-08-2012 at 04:09 PM.

MJM_CA Guest

I think the distance would be fine as long as it's not your main passageway.
    Keep the tape down and live with it for a few days or better yet, move your loveseat down to where your new Sundance would go and see if the clearances are tolerable.

Couldn't you also turn the piano around so the front narrow end faces the sectional? This may give you more room between the sectional arm and the piano.
    Last edited by MJM_CA; 10-08-2012 at 04:09 PM.

hglaber Guest

Also, if you can find some decent size cardboard boxes to make flat mock-ups (you can tape several smaller pieces together), then you can slide them around and fiddle with them. I've always found that easier than tape on the floor. I've even improvised and taped newspapers together, although they are a lot harder to reposition without destroying them. They also don't stand up to furry foot traffic, which is drawn to them like a magnet.

I think you will be fine, you can always bring the sectional back and over - adjusting to a fro to gain a couple inches one way or the other. The Sundance doesn't have a huge rolled arm on it, so that helps too. A Sundance will look smashing in that room....
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

BevoGal Guest

I received my samples tonight! Just quickly going through them, my husband selected Equestrian Desert as his favorite and I selected Piazza Sand (though I like his choice very much). Now, I can't wait to look at all of them in regular daylight (in the living room) tomorrow. Capri Birch is gorgeous, but I'm not letting myself go there . Hoping to find pictures of pieces in the samples we like. More tomorrow...

Equestrian is a GR 3 Italian aniline 'saddle' leather as makes some noise, so be sure to rub the leather face against itself and listen for the 'squeak', which is the creaking you get from a horse saddle, etc. That creak/squeak will occur when you move around on the piece as the leather contacts itself on the cushion edges, sides, etc. Some folks don't care for the noise - so its just a data point when making a decision. Piazza is a very nice, soft, GR 2 Finished leather that is probably the best of the painted hides from China. Capri is ... well, its Capri. Top of the Line and totally delicious - but you will pay the GR 4 price! I know which one I would get for a Sundance sectional, but I'm not saying .....
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

BevoGal Guest

Hi Duane - I'm glad you mentioned the squeaking! That sort of thing drives me bonkers (I am a mom to three boys as it is, lol). I have these nifty "loboz" chair silencers (simply tennis balls covered in a mini sock) on my kitchen chairs because I can't stand that squeaking across the tile. But the Equestrian Desert is really appealing to me. If I had no kids and an endless budget, I could definitely live with Capri.

Now, you have to tell me which one you would get! Don't leave me hanging...though I think you should be on the road by now so I may have to hang a little. For what it's worth, these are the four samples I have narrowed down the pile to, based on color mostly, then touch/feel:

Equestrian Desert (really beautiful, not too dark, not too light, nice surface grain)
    Columbia Taupe (darker than I thought it would be based on pictures)
    Piazza Sand (a nice and soft touch, like the warm camel color)
    Supple Beige (GR 1, color is very nice, definitely thinner than the others)
    *I was really excited about Antelope, but the almond color is too dark. I need to look for a lighter Antelope...

I really don't want something from China. Is there another option that is similar to Piazza that is not from China? Is Equestrian South American? I bet I can dig around for this in the leather forum. Thanks again for all of your expertise!
    Last edited by BevoGal; 10-10-2012 at 11:19 AM.

BevoGal Guest

Regarding the rest of the samples:

I love the Caress series - Dove is my favorite, but also have parchment and wheat. Duane said to eliminate these b/c they are too monochromatic for such a large piece as the Sundance Sectional
    Capri is beautiful and buttery soft (in birch) - I'd pay for a jacket or purse in it, but can't put that on the sofa
    Cavalier Taupe - too shiny and too dark for my room
    Garfield Mocha - nice thick sample, rich looking, but too dark. Would make fantastic boots!
    Piazza Parchment - Soft, lighter color, but not enough warmth in the color
    and Piazza Cameo - Soft, very nice color, but might be too light for the children (Piazza sand is slightly more golden)

I'm feeling a bit like goldilocks...

Above all, we will keep this sofa for a minimum of 15 years, probably much longer. So I want to find something that I'll love in years to come.