Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Leather Sectional Project

MJM_CA Guest

Default Re: Leather Sectional Project

I've ordered samples in some of your same colors when I was picking out a leather for a recliner.

I liked the Equestrian Desert a lot but was hesitant about the squeaking for a recliner. I don't think it would be as squeaky on a sectional. So if you like it, I'd go for it.

Duane said the Capri Birch is highly variable (which i could see on my sample - looks like mottled birch tree bark) and could look "funky". On a large piece like a sectional, it may be too variegated; it's also $$$$.

Columbia Taupe was too finished looking IMO (even though I have Columbia Molasses on a sectional and love it).

If you haven't you should request dealer sized samples of your top choices to help make a decision.

Other options to try are Weston Sand or Jute (GR 3) - I believe it's also from the same German tannery as Capri.

I went with Ryan Taupe (GR 2) on my recliner...it's more of a grayish green than taupe in sunlight though.

Also, keep in mind that even though the sample looks dark, it'll look lighter when put on a big piece like a sectional.
    Last edited by MJM_CA; 10-10-2012 at 04:22 PM.

BevoGal Guest

Thanks, MJM_CA. I really like the other options you mentioned -- I will have to order samples of them and definitely get dealer-sized ones when we can narrow it down!

I'm torn on what to do regarding class of leather and expense. We like to make smart purchases and spend our money on things that will last a long time (and that we enjoy). In my home, I am careful to bring in formaldehyde-free furniture, natural rugs, formaldehyde-free flooring, etc. I had Amish beds with natural finishes built for my boys, and they sleep on organic mattresses. So, I am obviously not looking at cheap sofas from China (or I wouldn't be here!), and I want a real leather sofa for many reasons -- ease of clean up, a great allergen-blocker, etc. BUT, what happens if I get this sectional in a grade 1 or 2 leather now and regret it in 10 years? Or will it be fine as long as I clean it? That is my worry, even more than if it will fit the space I know the correct answer should be to invest now to get what we truly want, but part of me also says it's pretty fine furniture even if you get a lower level of leather. Ah, decisions, decisions =)

MJM_CA Guest

I've been very happy with my GR1 Columbia Molasses sectional and have never regretted getting the cheapest grade.
    Only you can decide how much you want to spend and balance that with other priorities. Keep in mind, Duane has said leather grades are not durability grades, they're pricing grades. GR4 leathers like Capri and Antelope come from Germany whereas GR1 or 2 leathers like Columbia and Ryan come from South America. The German product is just going to be more expensive.

Columbia is a protected, finished GR1 leather and Antelope is a protected, finished GR 4 leather. They'll likely exhibit the same wearability, just the GR 4 would present nicer when compared side by side.

Columbia is actually a semi-aniline!

i think you need to ask yourself what you want to look at for thirty years, not fifteen. These will easily last that long, so choose wisely! I have had many customers say "I wish I would have spent more and bought the leather I really liked." But I have never had a customer say "I wish I would have bought a less costly hide and saved the money".
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

BevoGal Guest

Well, I was so excited to get into the store this weekend and actually SIT ON a sofa...and yet, it did not happen. Of course, just before we were set to go, my oldest had a major fall and his dad took him to urgent care. I was not home, so dad had a little scare! He is perfectly fine, just a nasty bump on the head. Picture day is this week at school, so I could have told you this would happen I guess we'll try again next weekend.

In the meantime, there's a Karastan rug that I'm loving (in my living room) that I'll share here: http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/k...xx.esn_results (it is also shown in the Karastan brochure on their parent website).

There are so many beautiful rugs out there -- another one I'd love to have in my study: http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/k...xx.esn_results

Regarding rugs, I like Karastan b/c it does not break the bank yet lasts a long time. I learned this from another post in this forum!

BevoGal Guest

Barring any disasters or ER visits, we are headed to the store today to see some leather sectionals in person. I will take pictures of the Sundance -- anxious to see if I can recognize the different leathers now. Stay tuned!

BevoGal Guest

I saw some beautiful H&M pieces today, sitting on the sofas and feeling all the different leathers. Of course, I left my Nikon at home (!) and ended up with some not-true-to-color photos from the iphone. I did find one Sundance sofa and one Sundance chair (miles apart in the store). The Sundance is still my favorite design, though I know Duane said H&M has a new one out with a nice back as well. Now, the pricing is marked way up where I was looking, so that's not the fun part of our trip, but I did appreciate comparing different brands to H&M. Really, they are top quality. I will post a couple pictures here of the Pullman Walnut Burnished Sundance Sofa, which was on sale:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image 1.jpg 
Views:	921 
Size:	134.7 KB 
ID:	4059Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image 2.jpg 
Views:	1008 
Size:	133.9 KB 
ID:	4060Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image.jpg 
Views:	545 
Size:	114.3 KB 
ID:	4061Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image 3.jpg 
Views:	514 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	4062.

I am not sure I should post the price tag? Let me know if I need to remove that. You can see a sample of my new rug in one of the pictures (Karastan Capri Robin's Egg).

BevoGal Guest

I also liked the Abbott Lounger in Document Latte -- I'm sorry the picture is so yellow. I included a true color swatch of the rug (shown draped on the chair in one image) so you can see how it is not showing the right tones for the chair. It was a nice latte coffee and cream. I sat on a September Sofa in Document Copper and I thought it was too deep. Oh, how I wish I could have seen a true Sundance Sectional today =(

Attachment 4063Attachment 4064Attachment 4065Attachment 4066

You can certainly post prices here - I can't - that's the difference! I do have to tell you I'm amused at that so-called 'Sale Price" they show on the Sundance at Louis Shanks. That's pretty far from being "on sale" at all and now I see why I get so many mail order customers out of Texas. Do your homework and find out if a deal is REALLY a deal and don't buy into the red marker trick so many stores like to use.

Pullman Burnished is a one-shot promo leather that is not normally in the line. H&M offered a deal on it this past Spring (I have a Teton sofa in the same leather) where they bought all the tannery had to offer and sold it as a GR 2 instead of a GR 3 to all the dealers that wanted to participate.

The Sundance sofa is now the # 1 selling piece in the line, passing the Austin and the City as the most popular model. I have shots of the new Sundance Recliner as well and hope to start posting Market photos shortly.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

BevoGal Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    You can certainly post prices here - I can't - that's the difference! I do have to tell you I'm amused at that so-called 'Sale Price" they show on the Sundance at Louis Shanks. That's pretty far from being "on sale" at all and now I see why I get so many mail order customers out of Texas. Do your homework and find out if a deal is REALLY a deal and don't buy into the red marker trick so many stores like to use.
    No kidding! I wanted to say, "do you think I look like I just fell off the turnip truck?" but I knew I'd see those tags going in. They kept steering me to a Whittemore-Sherril modular sectional that was nearly black, with no curved wedge, and a stitched detail on the back. On sale for "just $9000." No, thanks. It's too bad because I enjoy their selection and I have bought a china cabinet and my master bed there a few years ago, but stretching my dollar for quality items is my priority. And of course he told me he sold a Sundance sectional or two recently (I just missed them, blah, blah) for a hefty price (insert name dropping here). The range he gave me was $11K - $18K, depending on leather.

Anyway, I appreciate good service and he basically left us standing in front of the Hancock and Moore section - never discussed a single item with exception to that Sundance (which was hidden behind the rugs!). So I've let off a little steam in this post, BUT this reinforces that you, Duane, are an excellent resource and value to me. Thank you for offering pricing via PM and for quickly sending out samples AND for educating me through this forum.

RE: Colors: we learned yesterday that my husband wants something that won't show dirt/oils as much over time (I like sand, taupe, etc.) and he thinks we have to go just a little darker than I had considered. But I'm thinking lighter is okay if you clean and condition properly. So I am going to revisit my samples and the online swatches and see how those other options may price out. There are a couple suggestions above that I like. We still like that Equestrian Desert and I didn't see any yesterday! I really just want to make sure it is not orange/yellow or red in tone -- coffee and cream (or cashmere in my good old Suburban, lol) is my preference. If anyone else has color ideas in that category (and not shiny in finish), please chime in. The Antelope Almond sample is so nice (though darker than Piazza Sand and Equestrian Desert) and I'm wondering how much it would lighten up on a big piece?