Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Leather Sectional Project

Default Re: Leather Sectional Project

You know its funny....I have always resisted the RED SALE TAG in my store and use a Costco-like pricing tag, one price and take it or leave it. I do make the assumption that customers are smart enough to recognize value for their dollar, but lately they have been wearing me down asking when things are going to be ON SALE. I think there are people out there that have to see a SALE tag or they just can't buy it, because they don't think its a deal.

I think most stores are full of salesmen, whereas I am an enthusiast. There's a big difference. I had a couple from Michigan stopped in this Saturday morning and we talked about leather furniture non-stop for nearly three hours. They didn't buy anything, but that's alright,too. They left knowing a lot more than they did when they came in and that empowers them for intelligent shopping. I like to get folks excited about buying things and hate to see anyone buy over-priced junk (and there's a lot out there), and maybe when all is said and done they will call me back with an order - but its fine too, if they don't. I have a love of good furniture, and unlike most dealers don't push for a sale. That's why your guy left you standing there, he felt he wasn't getting an order and was done with talking to you because all he really cares about is his commission.

Don't be afraid of the lighter leather....they'll do fine if you stay with a reasonable cleaning regimen, and it doesn't have to be too arduous. Just wipe it down with a damp cloth once a week and then 2x a year do a full cleaner/conditioner treatment. Equestrian Desert is a great leather, good color. Its definitely not orange or yellow. Also look at Bari and see if there are colors in that series that appeal to you - that's a great Class 3 hide similar to Equestrian. Antelope is very nice, but you know thats a GR 4 leather and puts you up a notch in pricing. I think if I were buying at GR 4 price points, I'd be doing Capri or Quintessence.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

BevoGal Guest

While awaiting my larger samples, I have started coloring with marker (and cleaning it off) on the small samples. This was prompted by my toddler coloring on the sofa pictured at the beginning of this thread....with a DARK BLUE (washable) marker. He has two older brothers who never came up with this idea. Cleaning marker off the fabric is nowhere near as easy as off the leather! All of this happened while I was browning 28 lbs. of taco meat for a scout campout, so it was "perfect" timing

I remember seeing other posts about applying Windex -- is this to test for possible urine/ammonia stains? My only concern would be the potty-training time in the next year or two...and I think I'll wrap waterproof blankets around all the seat cushions in any piece of furniture just in case! I will have to get some butter in there to cover popcorn on movie night. Otherwise, we don't eat in the living room. Anything that just will NOT come out in stain tests?

Looking forward to our science experiment.

Ack! No Windex, it has ammonia in it as the cleaning agent and that can stain! Marker is OK as long as its not Permanent. Anything dye-based will not come out (same with blue jeans, that's a dye transfer).

90% of all stains will wick out of the leather over time. I have seen damaged leather but its rare. Motor oil will do a number on hides if allowed to soak in - for example - and other things will as well (mostly chemical based). Saturation has as much to do with it as the stain agent itself. Motor Oil coming off work clothes and is wiped up may stain initially, but it will fade out in a week or so in most cases, but if it was poured on there and allowed to stand in a puddle for an hour, then its game over for that piece of leather.

I have (13) pieces of leather furniture in my house, ranging from 27 years old to 6 months old, and from B-Y, H&M and Leathercraft. We have no permanent stains on any of it and we don't especially pamper it at home, just clean it periodically.
    Duane Collie

BevoGal Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Ack! No Windex, it has ammonia in it as the cleaning agent and that can stain! Marker is OK as long as its not Permanent. Anything dye-based will not come out (same with blue jeans, that's a dye transfer).
    I would never put Windex on any furniture intentionally - smart Martha Stewart cleaner-upper here But, what I meant was, is "windex = toddler potty accident" on leather? So I could simulate it on a leather sample? Or, the easier question is, are you doomed if there's a potty accident on the leather sofa? I'm super fast at getting to spills, so I don't imagine it would have time to saturate (we hope!). Each of my older two had one incident on the old sofa and I have always thought I couldn't get a new sofa until the last one was past that stage (not for another year or two). Please tell me I don't have to live with this old sofa that long, LOL =)

Best thing you can do with a urine incident on leather is to try to get as much wiped up and soaked up as possible, then just let it dry. Its a mistake to go after it with water and try to 'rinse' the area, that will set it even worse. The less saturation on leather, the better.

You'd be good!
    Duane Collie

BevoGal Guest

Great, thanks! That is a relief.

BevoGal Guest

I've received my second batch of samples, with a few dealer-sized:

Weston Sand - Class III, really love the color and "buttery-feel reputation," however, only drawback is that is is not textured (husband likes the pebbly feel more than totally smooth) and may mark up or show scratches more. The finished piece seen here is beautiful though and I'd love to see a Sundance made up this way: http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...-3-Weston-Sand. Softness is rated at 3, Surface grain 4, Special effects 3, Serviceability 3. I need to look up the country origin of Weston.

Weston Jute - may be too yellow in undertone (like straw)

Piazza Sand - Class II, still like this color very much, has a nice texture, soft and not squeaky, and only drawback (for me) is that it is a "painted" finish (though part aniline too) done in China, and may end up being too light-colored (for my busy crew) when done en masse. Softness 3, Surface grain 3, Special effects 1, Serviceability 2.

Bari Taupe - Class III, Duane suggested Bari, and I see why! It is very nice, with a softness rating of 4 and a pebbly texture (Surface grain 4) we like. Special effects is rated at 3, but I only have a small sample in this and can't tell what that represents. Serviceability 3. Though the taupe is darker than all my other samples, it's a nice mushroom/truffle brown - not red or yellow (I also have a large sample of the Bari Bisque, but that has too much mustard undertone in it). Italian origins.

Leighton Bisque - Class II, Softness 3, Surface Grain 4, Soecial Effects 3, Serviceability 3. Color is nice, less peachy than Piazza Sand, less yellow than Weston Jute. True sandy color with more gray mixed in. It may be my sample, but I'm not sold on this one because it seems like a dirty sand and not a fresh and clean sand (if that makes sense ).

Equestrian Desert - Class III, Softness 3, Surface Grain 4, Special Effects 2, Serviceability 2. We love the Equestrian for its classy ruggedness, but I'm afraid I will have to rule it out for the squeaky factor. It may or may not squeak a lot on a Sundance Sectional, but I can't take the chance. I'm getting plenty of groans from my existing old sofa that drive me crazy, so I want a silent sit for once

In summary, I wish they made Bari in the Weston Sand color, or Piazza Sand color. I like the increased texture of Bari, without the squeak of Equestrian...or, is Bari squeaky too? It's grabbier than Piazza for sure. Now I'm wondering how squeaky is Weston? I have a new rug to layout with these samples, and then I'll get an even better idea. Eventually, I'll get to thinking about nail color!

Edited to add: I have placed Columbia Taupe (class I) back in the running -- after placing Piazza Sand, Equestrian Desert and Columbia Taupe on the rug, I could see there is a similar color between the latter two. The "pop" of Piazza sand on this rug is very nice, but the other two blend as well. Columbia Taupe doesn't squeak like Equestrian. But I didn't order a large dealer sample in that one (oops), and I've heard it could be too finished looking. Playing devil's advocate, I have also seen Duane recommend Columbia as the best choice in a class I price range. Pictures to follow!
    Last edited by BevoGal; 11-04-2012 at 03:25 PM.

BevoGal Guest

The first image shows, left to right, first row: Equestrian Desert, Piazza Sand, Weston Sand. Second row, left to right: Capri Birch (just for fun), Columbia Taupe, and Bari Taupe.

The second image shows, left to right: Piazza Sand, Columbia Taupe, and Equestrian Desert.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0002.jpg 
Views:	440 
Size:	205.2 KB 
ID:	4100Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0017.jpg 
Views:	405 
Size:	199.5 KB 
ID:	4101

I buy less on color and more on tactile feel and appearance. Bari is going to be perfect, I think - Weston a close second. Columbia is an excellent GR 1 leather FOR THE PRICE, but it falls way short of Bari or Weston. A Sundance Sectional is a very classy piece, so it needs a classy leather, too!
    Duane Collie

Riddle Guest

I second Duane's comment about the Columbia. It's very nice and perfect for my husband's TV chair. However, there's no way I'd ever put that chair in the living room with our Capri Butternut sofa. I also don't think that the uniformity of Columbia would do much for a large piece like a sofa.

For what it's worth, I saw the Capri Birch on a Bovey sofa a couple of years ago. If that was a representative example, it has too many yellow undertones for your rug. Unlike the other Capris it's heavy on the special effects. I liked it, but I can easily imagine it being an unpleasant surprise to someone who ordered from a swatch.