Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Leather Sectional Project

MJM_CA Guest

Default Re: Leather Sectional Project

BevoGal,

I like the Weston Sand or Bari Taupe. They're a grayer taupe color and IMO, more versatile if you ever wanted to change your room decor by incorporating cooler colors into your room (grays and blues). Also, it provides a good contrast to your more yellow floors and walls and goes well with your rug.

If you want to see, I do have Columbia on a sectional and I've posted pictures here (scroll down, pictures on 3rd post):
    http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...umbia-Molasses
    It's dark Columbia Molasses and it is more uniform with less special effects because that's the look I wanted. And it's smooth.

If your husband likes a pebbly texture, Bari Taupe looks like a winner.

BevoGal Guest

Thanks, all, for the input. Much appreciated! The Bari Taupe is a nice color, though darker than I ever thought I'd go in my 'beachy french country cottage' design, especially right next to the dark piano. But I could see it working in there, especially with some nails in a nice accent. The Bari Taupe goes very well with my current accent fabric pillows (Ballard Designs "Daphne"). It would be great if Bari came in the lighter Weston Sand shade, or if Weston Sand had the texture of Bari. I love the smoothness of the Weston, it's only the marking up that I would fear.

Either way, what is the squeakiness of Bari and Weston?? I have rubbed them together (on themselves) to find squeaking like Equestrian, but maybe it's less? Piazza doesn't do it at all.

I can't find pictures of pieces in Bari Taupe here or on Google - please tell me if you find some elsewhere. I can't even begin to imagine creating an ottoman, but I think it would be nice to use contrasting leathers as others have. Maybe that is possible with the ones I like =)

Quote Originally Posted by BevoGal View Post
    I love the smoothness of the Weston, it's only the marking up that I would fear.

Either way, what is the squeakiness of Bari and Weston?? I have rubbed them together (on themselves) to find squeaking like Equestrian, but maybe it's less? Piazza doesn't do it at all.

I can't find pictures of pieces in Bari Taupe here or on Google - please tell me if you find some elsewhere.
    Don't worry about markings - that's the sign of REAL leather. The only ones that don't ever do it at all are painted leathers. All those marks - for the most part - come right out if you rub them hard and put some heat and pressure into them. I'd not let that stop be from enjoying a nice leather on a project.

Rub the leather swatch face to face to hear if they are noisy. Weston and Bari generally are not.

No idea on finding photos, to the best of my knowledge my forum is the only place in the world that keeps a library of them all. So if they're not here, they may not be any.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

BevoGal Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Don't worry about markings - that's the sign of REAL leather. The only ones that don't ever do it at all are painted leathers. All those marks - for the most part - come right out if you rub them hard and put some heat and pressure into them. I'd not let that stop be from enjoying a nice leather on a project.

Rub the leather swatch face to face to hear if they are noisy. Weston and Bari generally are not.

No idea on finding photos, to the best of my knowledge my forum is the only place in the world that keeps a library of them all. So if they're not here, they may not be any.
    Thanks! This makes me feel better about the marks on Weston. Did you ever get photos up of the other Weston set you delivered this past week? I keep revisiting the one here: http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...-3-Weston-Sand
    It is a gorgeous piece.

Any and all photos I have are posted soon thereafter. I can't photo every order (sometimes is raining, sometimes is too dark to take shots, sometimes there are just not enough hours in the day)....but what I have I always put up here on the forum.
    Duane Collie

BevoGal Guest

I have been living with that Weston sample for several days now, and I sure love it. As MJM_CA said, it is a shade with more gray in it and I'm finding I like the way that works in the room -- I am thinking of it as "driftwood." It's very, very nice.

I am wondering which color nail would look best? I can only go from pictures online, and the Weston sofa linked above has an "S" nail. I have seen Duane mix it up on some pieces by using an unexpected nail, but it's hard to do without holding the two samples together in a store. How would it look with a "Y" nail? Those are the only two, S and Y, that I am considering at this point.

With Weston Sand, I tend to like the "A" nail myself, but really there is no right or wrong - its just preference. The "Y" nail is a polished silver top with blackened base. You can request nail samples, too!

Weston Sand is a handsome color. It's not used a lot (70% of all leather sofa sales are in a brown) but I very much like that color myself as well.
    Duane Collie

BevoGal Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    With Weston Sand, I tend to like the "A" nail myself, but really there is no right or wrong - its just preference. The "Y" nail is a polished silver top with blackened base. You can request nail samples, too!
    Sounds great, I will have to request some samples. Thanks!

BevoGal Guest

deleted duplicate post
    Last edited by BevoGal; 11-19-2012 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Delete duplicate post

BevoGal Guest

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0094.jpg 
Views:	343 
Size:	188.3 KB 
ID:	4132Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0099.jpg 
Views:	345 
Size:	185.8 KB 
ID:	4133

I received my nail samples today: A, DD, H, L, S. Ruling out L b/c it just seems to dull IMO. I cannot tell a difference between S and DD, but they lend a nice casual look to blend with the Weston Sand leather. A is nice and "expected," but H looks kind of sharp/fun. Would the H (oil-rubbed bronze/black/shiny on outside, gold/brassy on inside) look strange on the Sundance against Weston Sand? Or would it look like a nice accent to the black baby grand in the room? Should I just go with a safe A or S nail? My husband says go with the safe A or S/DD.