Thread: Need advice on buying a desk

Chach Guest

Default Need advice on buying a desk

Doug,
    I am in the market for a desk and have been doing a lot of research. The one that I like the most is the Kittinger T-432, or something of decent quality of the style. As is the case with most my issue is the price. My budget is in the $2 - 3,000 range. I found one that a well known Kittinger Dealer near Philly has for slightly over $5,000. Is that a fair price? I know that Councill has a very similar style that is much too expensive new and I haven't been able to find any used so I'm not sure of the re-sale price. Is it possible to find one of either in the $2-3,000 range or am I just wasting time?

How was the quality of some of the US brands before they were made off shore? We have about 10 - 12 pieces of domestically made Thomasvile (early 90's) that are in good shape after 20 years and show no signs of deterioration. Would a Hekman from 1998 have been made domestically? Are there other brands that I should consider?

I really don't want to buy something that was not made in the US so any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you,
    Denis

Default Re: Need advice on buying a desk

Well, you can't really have it both ways - made in the USA, high quality and in that price budget. If I commission one of my cabinentmakers to make a desk like the T-432 using premium woods and proper construction its going to be $ 20,000. If that were a production piece using laser carvings and yet still built to a high standard you could cut the price in half to $ 10,000. But that's still a long ways from $ 2K to $ 3K. The only way you will get a decent desk like that T-432 for your price range is to find a used one on Craigslist and hope they don't know what they have. If you ever do see one for $ 2K, you best get over there within the hour to scoop it up!

In your price range, as a new desk, it will be from Vietnam or Indonesia and the quality will be hit or miss on it. Good luck.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

ericp502 Guest

Not sure why I got banned. The OP was looking for a nice desk in his price range of a particular style. I provided an exact link of a desk that fits the style he is looking for, of high quality in his price range.

http://www.antiquepurveyor.com/offic...desk-p375.html

You're affiliated with the vendor?

I would want to see that desk in person. It has some nice features, and may well be a solid piece, but in terms of construction and finish it's less impressive in the close-ups. In person I would likely get a better sense of whether the finish is likely to last, or if it's likely to craze or chip.