Need help in learning how to identify a quality dining room chair.
I am wanting to purchase a dining room set or table with acceptably matched chairs, but want the chairs to be quality and stand up to daily use for at least the rest of my lifetime (I'm 45).

I know that quality of brands varies over time (may have been a great company at one time, but now outsourcing) so I can't just go by name/reputation. I am not opposed to finding used items in resale shops. I am not opposed to paying a fair price for quality work. I am concerned about paying $700+ and having the legs start wobbling and falling off and wood splitting after normal daily use.

In shopping for chairs, some chairs have the black cloth stapled over the bottom and you cannot see the construction, although you can feel through the fabirc what it is at times if the cloth is loose. Also, how much do cross bars (don't know the technical term--but wood bars that connect the four legs) help with quality?

I prefer traditional styling: Queen Anne, Chippendale, etc...and need upholstered seats for certain family members.

It seems like everything I have looked at has screwed in legs. Is this good? Any advice on what to look for or what to avoid would be so much appreciated as this is something which will receive consistent use. Thank you!