Thread: H&M City Sofa quote

norwega Guest

Smile H&M City Sofa quote

Question for Duane:

Thanks so much for your information on this site! Today I received a quote for a H&M City sofa, #9840 in Cavalier Mocha for $3410 to our house, just north of Seattle, not including tax. I think your pricing is better, but I'm not sure on the freight costs. My husband liked a sofa from Elite, the Merced, but the arms seemed too high for me.
    How long have the Cavalier leathers been coming from China? Any concerns?

Thanks much,

Susan

Quote Originally Posted by norwega View Post
    Question for Duane:

Thanks so much for your information on this site! Today I received a quote for a H&M City sofa, #9840 in Cavalier Mocha for $3410 to our house, just north of Seattle, not including tax. I think your pricing is better, but I'm not sure on the freight costs. My husband liked a sofa from Elite, the Merced, but the arms seemed too high for me.
    How long have the Cavalier leathers been coming from China? Any concerns?

Thanks much,

Susan
    Hi Susan,

I sell the # 9840 in Cavalier Mocha for $ 1,994 plus shipping. If I use Home Delivery Service (HDS) to get this piece to you then the shipping is going to right at $ 350 (actual freight at time of delivery will be based on weight and fuel surcharges in effect when shipped, should not vary more than 10 %). So your total landed cost would be about $ 2,344. There's some lag time between when the sofa is done and when its delivered. HDS is going to run 6 to 8 weeks on average to transport to you as you're about as far away one can get from North Carolina and still be in the continental United States! It can be a bit frustrating to have paid for your sofa and then not have it for two months, so I always like my West Coast customers to be aware of that delivery time frame.

I can have it shipped via truck line to a commercial business address for about the same money and you'd have it within a week of completion, but you'd have to unpack it and haul it home yourself. And that means having a real truck to transport it home in, they don't fit in SUV's....

Cavalier has always been a hide from China, and has been in use as long as I've been a dealer for H&M. I've had zero issues or complaints with the hide, it tailors well and has a good visual appearance, is soft and rich looking. Cleans up well, too.

Maybe I need to raise my prices???
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

emmasmom Guest

Duane-
    WE have looked at both B-Y sectionals and H&M. I see that the city sectional may fit in our space. Any ideas on price? I would be looking at a grade 2 leather. Also- the campaign measurements are a bit big, but may be worth it if we could fit another person on the piece. Is this worth considering? Thank you! Amy

Hi Amy,

Sure, I can get you pricing right here. Not sure which sectional components you are looking for so for the sake of simplicity lets price them all out with the most simple configuration.

City: Model #9839 LAQ/RAQ. Grade 2 leather $ 6,398 (during Feb 2009, 5% off applies and it drops to $ 6,078) + shipping

Campaign: Model # 1282 RAC/LAC (not on the website, but its two loveseats with the squared-off corner built-in) That one measures 68" L, each side. Grade 2 leather $ 7,392 (during Feb 2009, 5% off applies and it drops to $ 7,022) + shipping.

Now, don't forget to look at the September model in Town and Country. I find it even roomier than the City unit, and the model 9748 RAQ/LAQ in Document Saddle is $ 5,585 + shipping. Any other Document color (27 colors) is $ 6,250.

Bradington Young sectionals can be had for $ 3,500 and up (Married Cover), but of course the H&M is tailored much nicer and has better leather.

You can mix and match pieces to get to a size, such as substituting a sofa section for a loveseat unit. Takes a bit of planning to properly configure a sectional.
    Duane Collie

trisig Guest

Default Quote

Hi Duane,
    I just found this site last night! Wow, there is a lot of great information. Now, I am more confused. I was looking on the internet yesterday and found the information that Hancock and Moore had the best leather sofas. I called one of the internets stores, I believe in N. Carolina. They quoted me $3479 for a 9840 City Sofa in Grade 2 leather. They said it was free tax and shipping. That is a little more than I wanted to spend which is about $2-2500. So, I went to our local furniture store and was quoted $2100 for a flexsteel sofa. I found this site last night and am wondering if maybe I can get a Hancock and Moore in my price range. I read about the Town and Country program. Can you give me a price for the City Sofa or if you have advice on another similar style I may like. There are so many... I like the Rancho Butterscotch color. I don't have kids running around any more, so I don't have to worry about anybody, but my husband and my lab... and she loves leather. ha ha I am willing to take a risk here for quality, as we don't have Hancock and Moore in our area, so I can't check these out.

Thank you!

trisig,

Welcome to the forum!

It can be confusing to price a 9840 City sofa, because its part of the Town and Country Collection. That means it can be purchased in a special leather group at reduced prices, OR you can go to the main handle and buy it from the regular leathers and you'll see a considerable price variance. You can read the Town and Country Thread in the LEATHER forum, but to cut to the chase here's what you're looking at:

My prices for the # 9840 are:

$ 1,927 in Cavalier Mocha or Cavalier Henna + shipping (T&C)
    $ 2,393 in any other Cavalier color + shipping (T&C)
    $ 3,262 in a grade 2 leather + shipping (Rancho is a Grade 2) + shipping

So you can see, the price varies considerably depending on the cover. All stores should have a similar pricing model IF they understand the programs and choose to use them.

Sales tax is only going to be collected in the state where the store is for the most part. You call a NC store, they're going to collect tax only if shipping to a customer in NC. I'm in Virginia, so I only collect VA sales tax, etc.

Shipping depends where you live (state). Figure $ 200 as a very round number for east coast and midwest, $ 350 for out west, etc. Have to have your state to really get it accurate.

H&M is light years above and beyond Flexsteel. Like steak vs. hamburger!
    Duane Collie

trisig Guest

Thank you for the quick information! Wow. 2 questions. How can I see a color swatch? Do you think the Cavalier taupe is in the brown, grey, or yellow tones? The color varies with how I tip my computer screen! I am looking for lighter color in a golden tone. I am getting rid of my mahogeny sofa and want to brighten the room up. Is the City Sofa in the average price range for a H&M? I like other styles, so I am wondering if this would make a difference? I guess that is more than 2... I live in MI so that is probably around the $350 for shipping?

Its easy to get swatches to you, just need an address (you can click on my forum name and then select SEND A PRIVATE MESSAGE with that info). I'm answering this from home so i don't have the swatches in front of me, and can't recall that Cavalier Taupe color off the top of my head. The City Sofa is actually one of the lesser expensive H&M sofas, as its built pretty straightforward and does not come with any nail trim. You can see all the Town and Country items and download the price list for them (MS EXCEL format) under the LEATHER section.

A sofa to Michigan via Home Delivery Service is going to run about $ 200 as long as you are not up near the Canadian Border.
    Duane Collie