Thread: Crypton Everything

hardyart Guest

Default Crypton Everything

Does anyone have a personal experience with Crypton products? I was at a large car show and they had a booth featuring leather, fabric, carpet, pet, and whiteboard cleaners and protectors. They also had samples of fabric, carpet, mattress protectors and even leather treated with their stain guard. The salesman said they have revolutionized the fabric and leather upholstery industry and will one day be the standard.

My question is:Is this company and it's products for real?

Default Re: Crypton Everything

Crypton has been in the commercial market for a number of years, but the material was always too stiff and scratchy. Just recently the maker has been able to soften it up so its making its way into the residential market now. Virtually everything washes off it, even permanent magic marker (though you really have to scrub). It will never be the industry standard though as its monochromatic material, and still feels like a cheap(er) fabric, but its the way to go if you're going to eat all your meals on a sofa in front of the TV and don't want leather. I think its a far cry from 'revolutionizing' the trade, but it serves a niche.

I'm not aware of any spray on product they make, that must be new. However leather doesn't need it and it may interfere with the tanning agents. Use with caution on leather.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

hardyart Guest

Thanks for the answer. After the car show I went online to find their products. They are not all on one website..Here's what I found. I thought their description of their leather being a major innovation was interesting.
    http://www.cryptonfabric.com/commerc...bric-products/

http://www.guardianproducts.net/cryp...care-products/

I have a Crypton sales rep stopping by to visit me later this week so I'll let you know what I think of the fabrics. For those of you out there who are interested in Crypton type fabrics and don't mind microfibers there is a less expensive alternative.

Microfibres, Inc. is an American fabric mill located in Winston Salem, NC. They invented the original microfiber fabrics and are still a large supplier to the industry. Most of their microfiber fabrics are 100% Nylon unlike the far more common Chinese microfibers which are always 100% Polyester.

The big secret, however is that they also make a couple of lines of their 100% Nylon microfiber fabrics especially for the healthcare industry. According to Microfibres, Inc. Simplicity Sofas is the only residential furniture manufacturer in the country who carries their healthcare lines. We sell it 5-1 over the identical fabrics without the stain proofing even though it adds $100 to the price of a sofa.

These fabrics look and feel identical to the regular microfibers but have a built-in permanent stain-proofing (not an added spray-on protector.) Liquids bead up and roll off. Other stains, including black permanent marker wipe off easily with a damp sponge and some liquid hand soap.

Unfortunately, since these are healthcare fabrics there are a total of only 12 colors in two patterns which basically come in a color pallette ranging from beige to brown, with a basil green and merlot thrown in. I sell these healthcare fabrics for $32 per yard compared to $24 per yard for the same fabrics without the stainproofing. By comparison the Cryptons that are supposed to be suitable for indoor residential use retail for $69 per yard online.

lishaana Guest

I was so impressed with the Crypton samples that were sent to me that I used the fabric on my off-white upholstered dining chairs. I basically took the 2 samples they sent me and went through my fridge and pulled out every stain maker(wine, mustard, tomato, balsamic salad dressing etc.)I could find and rubbed it into the sample and let it dry over 24 hrs. Everything came out with soap and water. I even tried permanent marker/sharpie and it mostly came out and probably would have come out entirely with a little elbow grease. Now the fabric is a bit stiff. The one I have feels like a microfiber. I was recently in a store and saw that they have some newer fabrics that are softer and have more texture to it. They are more expensive than the standard Crypton.

The best place to buy Crypton residential fabric is at Joann's Fabrics. They run 40 and 50% off sales/coupons online all the time(usually it is 40% off "designer fabrics" or 50% off 1 product). I got the basic solid colored Crypton "Suede" fabric for about $17-18/yard. The fancier textured Crypton would probably run you $25-35/yard with the coupons. I will be purchasing a sofa in the near future and plan on using the fabric on it as well. With 2 kids who like to do "art" it is a lifesaver!

Just order a sample from Crypton's website and test it out for yourself. Let me know if you have anymore questions!

nancy

I received some sample yardage from Crypton and made up some cushions. The Crypton fabrics are pretty ordinary, but have a special Crypton backing and coating that gives them a moisture barrier, anti-bacterial properties and stain resistance. This makes them quite impermeable to air as well. The conclusion that my production manager and I reached was that the fabrics are excellent for tight seats, but unsuitable for loose cushions. When sitting on a loose cushion covered by the Crypton you slowly sink down as the air slowly bleeds out and then the foam firms up. It's not really uncomfortable but "unusual" Using the identical high resilience foam as our normal cushions the Crypton covered loose cushion felt more like it was down filled. Most of the people trying it out felt that it was comfortable, but "different" than what was expected.