Thread: Don't know where to turn!

4boyz Guest

Default Don't know where to turn!

Hey all! I am hoping to get some direction. I am in the market to buy a large leather sectional for my family room. Somewhere in the range of 125" x 125" with a wedge shape in the corner. I have 4 young boys and am looking for something that can withstand them and still look great. I have a budget of no more than 7K and that is absolute max. The problem is I am having a hard time finding a quality sectional for that amount. I am looking for a sectional that will look great for 7-10 years. Basically I want a Honda or Toyota of the sectional world. I have looked at many stores - Pottery Barn, Bassett, Ethan Allen etc. and have not been impressed with the quality. I have also looked at special order stores and am turned off by the 10K price tag. Am I just delusional to think I can buy a quality sectional for that amount? Please point me to a company that is within my budget and that I will be happy with! Thanks!

Default Re: Don't know where to turn!

That's easy. You can buy a Bradington Young in leather that will come in well below your budget (about $ 6K or less depending on leather). It will go way past 7 to 10 years, too. More like 25 under hard use if you take reasonable care of the leather and wipe it down periodically as well as condition it a few times a year. Stay away from Pottery Barn, Ethan Allen is OK but not great, and I'd not be buying Bassett, either. Here's an example...you can buy this sectional in a decent GR 1 leather with Sofa Segment/Wedge/Sofa Segment for $ 5,582 plus delivery fees based on where you live. This is USA-made, 8-way tied springs, and comes with down cushions. (link shows a different configuration).

http://www.bradington-young.com/amer...ONAL&style=220

If you can drop down to 105" x 105" size (loveseat/corner/loveseat) you can even get into the Gold Standard of the Industry - a Hancock & Moore September Sectional for your price point if you buy from the right dealer.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

4boyz Guest

Well this is downright freaky. This is the EXACT couch I was looking at today at the "specialty" furniture store in my area (Utah). I chose the lowest grade leather and told her that I wanted it roughly 123" from the back corner of the wedge to the arm and then a love seat length on the other side of the wedge. No lounge part. She stopped adding it up when it reached 9K. That is when I got frustrated. So am I going with the wrong dealer? That seems like a big price difference from what you are saying it costs and what she told me at the specialty store.
    Last edited by 4boyz; 10-24-2012 at 10:50 PM.

Riddle Guest

Many of the members of this forum, including me, have purchased furniture from Duane Collie, the man who operates this forum. The Keeping Room, his brick and mortar store, is in Virginia.

I suggest that you read the "sticky" post in the forum Lobby about who this DRCollie guy is. He also has an excellent post on the pros and cons of buying locally or over the internet. It's in the shipping section of the forum.

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...r-via-Internet

If you think you'd be willing to shop remotely rather than locally, you can use the private message (PM) feature of the forum to request pricing from Duane. I've been delighted with my furniture, and Duane's customer service would be hard to top. Now if I can just figure out what leather I want on the chair I plan to order ...
    Last edited by Riddle; 10-25-2012 at 08:08 PM. Reason: corrected typo

Quote Originally Posted by 4boyz View Post
    So am I going with the wrong dealer?
    Could be
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

BevoGal Guest

It's funny, I came here with a similar "story" as the original poster, but I have one less boy than she =) I was looking at a Bradington Young sectional with wedge in the corner, hoping to fit my budget. Now, my problem is that I fell in love with the Sundance (Hancock & Moore) sectional and I'm ordering samples for that. It just has more of that "wow" factor than what I could find in the Bradington Young images. But, I will tell you, Duane gives a fair price via private message -- and there are a lot of folks here who have posted so many helpful things that it should narrow down your search too. I like to get home decor from Pottery Barn, but not the furniture. One other thing to note, the really high quality sofas last much longer than 10 years (think 30 for H&M) so factor that 'cost of ownership' in. It's tough b/c I know if I come in under budget, I can get a chandelier, pendant lights, etc. =)
    Last edited by BevoGal; 10-25-2012 at 01:23 PM.

4boyz Guest

Thanks for all the advice! I have been so confused and frustrated lately. I am waiting for a price from Duane.