Thread: Finished Leather quality

4boyz Guest

Default Finished Leather quality

I ordered a bunch of leather samples from B-Y. I noticed that only 1 is aniline and one is aniline plus, which got me to thinking. Is there a difference in quality in finished leathers or are most companies buying them from the same place and re-labeling? It doesn't seem right to have the same leather on a Costco couch and a B-Y. Just curious.

Default Re: Finished Leather quality

Oh yes, there is absolutely a difference in every leather category. For example, Antelope (Hancock and Moore) is one of the finest, if not THE finest finished leather from Germany that one can buy - and its quite expensive. Compare that to a base grade Finished leather from most anyone and you can see and feel a considerable difference.

Most of that crap from Costco is bonded leather...not even real leather.

Upholstery manufacturers buy from leather vendors, who have their annual leather show every June in High Point. And yes, they will rename most of them once they add it to their line. Its very possible to see the same hide show up in many manufactuer's lines.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

4boyz Guest

Default Re: Finished Leather quality

That is good to know. I ask because I have looked high and low for a sectional and I've read so many descriptions it is ridiculous. Here is an example:

http://www.costco.com/Addison-4-piec...&storeId=10301

This is obviously not a sectional but it touts top grain leather on seating areas and split leather (bad) on the rest of the couch. 8 way tied coils.... it goes on from there. I actually have a swatch of the leather from this couch. I took it to a high end furniture store in my area (The same one that quoted me 9K for the B-Y Warner leather sectional) He asked me if he could look at the swatch and then he said that it was probably similar to the ones on some of the lower end couches (Seven Seas - same company different quality I have learned from this forum.) I don't know if he was trying to convince me that the 9K sofa was worth 9K or what. Which brings me back to my original question. I guess this is why it is so confusing for customers to find good quality at a reasonable price. You never seem to know exactly what you are getting, especially when a company like Costco will list 8 way tied coils, top grain leather etc. on some of their stuff.