Thread: Another American furniture manufacturer closes

hardyart Guest

Default Another American furniture manufacturer closes

I just read the following that Henkel Harris is to cease production;

Henkel Harris ceases production...

It is with great regret that we pass along the news that after 66 years in business, Henkel Harris is going to cease production as of December 31st, 2012. As you know, domestic production has suffered for a long time. We certainly applaud Henkel Harris for all of the exceptional pieces they have created over the years.
    With this in mind, if you need a piece to complete your collection or would like to own a small part of the history of a great company, you have two weeks. Please keep all the people at Henkel Harris in your thoughts as a furniture industry legacy comes to a close.

Default Re: Another American furniture manufacturer closes

Its not surprising, people are not buying traditional furniture much. I used to sell appx. 2,500 handcrafted windsor chairs per year in the 80's and 90's. And maybe 30 high end Highboys a year as well as 20 Secretary Desks. I sold ZERO leather furniture.

Now I sell 20 windsor chairs a year, haven't had an order for a single highboy or a secretary desk in over 5 years. I keep the lines because I love the look and build, but companies like Henkel Harris that stayed the course with their product line were doomed from 2001 on.....it just took them all this time to die. Most companies and stores are like that, they don't go out quickly, they just slowly bleed out. If you don't change, you don't survive. One of these days, all this Transitional look is going to come to a screaming halt, and when it does...look out. There will be another scramble to move to whatever is hot in style.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

hardyart Guest

That next whatever is hot in style may ironically be traditional.

spbell Guest

This is very sad and shocking news. Some of my most treasured pieces are Henkel Harris. I am just not sure what other American made company compares in quality...

Henkel Harris is far from top-of-the-line. It was nicely executed production furniture, but once you enter into the realm of artisan benchmade furniture (and there are still plenty of those guys around) you quickly saw the manufacturing shortcuts taken. If you're looking at 'brands', then Baker has always made a better traditional piece than Henkel.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

I would add Stickley to the list of quality case goods. While their craftsman style is best known they also have an excellant traditional line. I have toured their factory in Manlius, N.Y. (outside Syracuse) many times.

Judyg951 Guest

Century and Baker both make excellent pieces. Styles come and go, but there wil always be those who love traditional furniture.