Thread: Help Me With My First Leather Furniture Purchase

mattggg1 Guest

Default Help Me With My First Leather Furniture Purchase

I'm planning to make my first leather furniture purchase very soon, but still have many questions, even after spending hours on this wonderful site. Here is some information about us: Early 30's couple with a 1yr old son & small dog, Prefer a more casual/streamlined look, Would like to stay under $7K (preferrably less).

H&M is our first choice if we can buy at a reasonable price point. Here are my questions specific to H&M:
    - We like the Restoration sofa, but it appears they do NOT make a loveseat. Is this correct?
    - We also like the Campaign line. I received a local price quote for the sofa/loveseat, which was over $10K (plus tax & delivery) for Grade 2 leather. Approximately how much money would be saved if we went down to Grade 1 leather?
    - The last model we like is the City. This would fit our price requirement, but I think the promotional sofa/loveseat would be a bit too small all around for our taste. Does anyone have thoughts on the size of the smaller City furniture? Do you find it too small or uncomfortable to lounge in?
    - Are there any other models not mentioned above that may fit our lifestyle & budget?

Now some questions about other brands:
    - Does anyone have experience/opinions of Bradington Young? A quote for the Warner model in Bentley Place Leather was $5400 (plus tax & delivery). Is this a good value, or would you recommend stepping up in quality for more $.
    - I read that Stickley is having a "fall sale" with special pricing on their leather furniture. We really like two of their models and may consider as a third option. Anyone have opinions on Stickley leather?

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Help Me With My First Leather Furniture Purchase

Correct - Restoration is Sofa and Chair only, though they can and will make a loveseat - you will pay the sofa charge and the a custom fee atop it for one, but you can spec the exact size you would like.

Generally there is a 11 % step between price grades, though that jumps to about 14% from III to IV

9840 City is compact. I find it too small for me and I'm 5' 11".

Check out the Town and Country line for H&M (here in the LEATHER section). Your best values are there.

Bradington Young (which I sell as well) is an excellent, less costly alternative to H&M. Its built differently - but for the price performs well. $ 5,400 for a # 220-95 Warner in Bentley Place is highway robbery. You can buy that sofa from my store for less than half that price ($ 2,239 plus delivery fees based on your location).

Stickley is OK...no worries there.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

mattggg1 Guest

Thanks for the informative response.

The only other Town & Country item that might work for us would be the September, which I beleive is only offered in Document leather. Based on your pictures, Document looks very "splotchy" and highly unappealing. It seems that we should focus on Stickley or Bradington Young.

Do you have any thoughts on the Warner model by Bradington Young? If you've had the opportunity to view & sit on one, I'd love your input.

Lastly, do you have any favorite leathers in the Bentley Place collection?

Thanks.

Oh sure, I sell the 220 series Warner all the time. Its a good piece, very mainstream and seems to sit well for most people. It's not a 'firm' sofa, but one that is plush.

I will always pick an aniline leather myself.....the more I work with leather over the years the less I care for the finished hides. In Bentley Place, if I were buying one for myself, I'd probably get the # 9514-87.
    Duane Collie

yooper829 Guest

We purchased a Warner series couch, love seat and tilt back chair & ottoman about 8 months ago and have been very happy with them. The chair we did in a Bentley Place leather and its much softer and comfortable then the couch or love seat which was done in the King Street collection. Had to do it again I would have went Bentley Place (or better) on the whole set. Feel free to ask away if you have any questions that I could help you with! Good luck!

Mike

mattggg1 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Oh sure, I sell the 220 series Warner all the time. Its a good piece, very mainstream and seems to sit well for most people. It's not a 'firm' sofa, but one that is plush.

I will always pick an aniline leather myself.....the more I work with leather over the years the less I care for the finished hides. In Bentley Place, if I were buying one for myself, I'd probably get the # 9514-87.
    Just a few follow-up questions regarding the BY Warner sofa.

We are looking for a sofa on the plush side, though I don't like extra soft back cushions that cause you to sink in and slouch. I'd rather have something soft but supportive. Where does the Warner fall on this scale?

With a 23" seat depth, are most people able to comfortably sit with their feet on the ground and back on the cushion?

Have you done a Warner with NO nailheads? If so, how did it look? We prefer the more casual, streamlined looked without nailheads.

I'm not brave enough just yet to select an unprotected leather. Can you point me to any protected Bentley Place leathers?

BY puts their Premier Down as a a standard cushion in their sofas, so they are fairly plush to sit in.

Feet on the ground depends on how tall someone is. If its a 5' 4" woman than no....she cannot flat foot the floor on that one. A 5' 10" man can, however.

Yes you can do them without nail trim, B-Y will upcharge for that, however.

For leathers, the only way to do it is request samples, you shouldn't buy from a photo. Make a list of 10 or so you would like to see and PM them to me with your address and I can get those out to you.
    Duane Collie