Thread: What were YOU doing yesterday at 5 p.m.?

Default What were YOU doing yesterday at 5 p.m.?

This is what I was doing. The Murrow's Freight trucker dropped it off at 4:50 p.m. yesterday along with a comment that "You will never get that in your store, what were you thinking when you ordered it?" My delivery truck was full for Saturday Deliveries, my Storage Facility is 100 % full right now, and it wouldn't fit into my pickup so I could take it home to put it in my garage until such time as I could get my part time delivery guys to assist.

It had to go into the store. Either that, or I would need a tent and sleeping bag to spend the night in the parking lot with it. (yes, it was for floor stock). Both boxes were the sectional, the small segment one was going to be easy - the big one....not so much. I've got a lot of furniture in my store by myself before. This was going to be epic....so I took a video:

And here's what it looked like by 6:45 p.m.

I moved 22 pieces of furniture yesterday in and out of the store The first batch was in the morning - and I was not expecting this second delivery.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.jpg 
Views:	384 
Size:	196.5 KB 
ID:	4138  
    Last edited by drcollie; 11-30-2012 at 09:43 PM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: What were YOU doing yesterday at 5 p.m.?

Looks like the far right seat cushion on the short side was installed last!!! Notice the zipper. Must have been nearly impossible.
    The Keeping Room should start an annual contest sorta like the eating 100 hotdogs in 15 min. test of will. Move a full size
    Sundance sofa through a 36 in. door and place it in your showroom in 5 minutes!!! Bring a little appreciation of the furniture business to the general public or at least to the few soles crazzy enough to try.

By the way, great looking sectional.

Larry

I noticed that cushion tonight as I was closing up.....lol.

Pushing around furniture is a large part of this business, which is why I'm always amused when someone sends me an email and then follows it up with a phone call 15 minutes later because I've not responded immediately. Contrary to popular belief i am not at my computer manning the inbox!
    Duane Collie

AilFin Guest

I'm impressed. How did you move that all by yourself? Do you have special equipment to help?

You learn to go slow, pad a lot of things (doorjambs, the floor, the sidewalk) and how to angle and leverage. I have some simple sliders that help on certain things, but nothing that would work on the sofas. I was able to get the smaller piece in by myself, but could not get the larger one in alone...luckily one of my part time guys wasn't doing anything and he came by and it took us 5 minutes to get it in the door, but it was STILL tight. This Lacross sectional is not going through any doors less than 36" in width, that's a for-sure!
    Duane Collie

Duane, you are the man! Isn't owning your own business fun?

It has its moments!

I do not have a warehouse, and I've decided i have to get one. Right now everything is dropped in my parking lot and my delivery truck is the de-facto storage facility (or one of my garage bays at home) and its just not big enough. I only need about 800 to 1,000 S.F. and everything within a practical distance to my store is much larger than that. I've found one 1,850 s.f. whse for $ 1,800 a month but sure hate to commit to spend that much when I only need half that space. Know anyone in the Wash DC area that needs half a warehouse?
    Duane Collie

BevoGal Guest

WOW! That was a tough job...and I assume what goes in must go out the same way? So you will enjoy that maneuver again! It's beautiful so I am sure you'll sell it soon.

Yes, but we KNOW it will go out...since it came in! I will have to make sure whomever buys it has wide doors, however.
    Duane Collie