Thread: Quality Leather Sofa and Sofa Sleeper

CobiEven Guest

Default Quality Leather Sofa and Sofa Sleeper

I am in the market to find a high quality sofa and sofa sleeper. I have shopped Ethan Allen for most of all of my life as well as my parents and grandparents. I had a leather sofa from them (I will update with model name when I get home) that was extremely soft. It was like it was a pillow top, the arm rests were pillow top like as well. the cushions did not have straight rigid lines because of this but that did not matter to me. It was the perfect coach to fall asleep on while watching Sunday sports. I got a divorce and my ex got to keep the living room furniture. When I recently went back to Ethan Allen to purchase the couch again I found out they no longer make it. Now I can't seem to find a high quality sofa that has this type of softness. I went to a place that sold American Leather because I read they make reall good sleeper sofas but I also want a really soft normal sofa as well. Quality is really important to me. Having the sleeper sofa and the regular sofa the same brand is not very important to me. Any help or recomendations? Leather is a must.

Default Re: Quality Leather Sofa and Sofa Sleeper

The type of sofa you are describing was fashionable in the 70's and 80's, but not now. That's why you may have a difficult time finding one like that. Upholstery had fashion trends just like clothing, and styles come and go twice a year (are are shown at the High Point Furniture Market in April and October). There are a few makers still doing pillow-tops, but not many. I don't know of any high-line makers producing them and even companies that did them forever - like Flexsteel - seem to have gotten away from them.

There really is no such think as a high quality sleep sofa. All sleep sofas are is a folding bed mechanism/matress with an upholstery frame built around it. You get nothing in the way of what makes a high end piece a high end piece as its all been sacrificed for the sleeper mech. Most sleeper mechs are made by Leggett & Platt, so there's not a lot of difference between a $ 2,000 Sleeper with an L&P unit and a $ 6,000 Sleeper with an L&P unit. They are all based around that same mechanism. Sleeper sofas don't make very good beds - or very good sofas. Unless its going to be used regularly - say at least twice a month, then you are better off getting a real, stationary sofa and an air mattress with an electric pump for when you need that.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

CobiEven Guest

Thank you very much for your fast response and udating me on the styles. I will take your advice about the sleeper sofas and just buy an air mattress with an electric pump. I see you recomend Hancock & Moore a lot so I will go to Poppleton's to test sit on the sofas here in Monterey, CA. Any other brands do you highly recommend?

Hancock & Moore is the gold standard for the industry. Leathercraft right up there with it. Second tier, under those two would be lines like Bradington Young and Classic Leather. All are USA-made.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.