Thread: Question on Hancock & Moore furniture padding

FarmGirl Guest

Default Question on Hancock & Moore furniture padding

What does Hancock/Moore use to pad the sofa frames? And what kind of flame retardants if any are they treated with (furniture is not being sold/shipped to California, which I believe is the only state that actually has requirements TB 117). I've been looking at "green" sofas, http://www.ecobalanza.com/materials.html . I love the leather and style/qualify of Hancock/Moores leather products, but don't know what is standard in their construction and what might be available by special request in that department. Thank-you.

Default Re: question on hancock moore furniture padding

H&M products are California compliant - definitely. Says so right on the tags and I personally ship about a dozen of their pieces a month into CA for customers. The most common flame retardant in the upholstery business is boric acid, but I can't say for sure that's what H&M uses.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

anaye Guest

I heard that California is not requiring the fire retardant anymore after January 1st.
    Can anyone confirm this?

I think there are changes coming in fire retardant standards but not sure they are in place yet. California has the hardest criteria to meet, so all makers build to that one rather than have a 49 state standard and a different one for California. They are finding out that the chemicals used are turning out to be rather toxic in articles I'm reading on it, and since the likelihood of being personal danger caught up in a fire on a sofa is FAR less than having the long term exposure to these chemicals. Search around the internet and you can find plenty to read on it, here's a good article to start with:

http://www.sfgate.com/health/article...857.php#page-1

Interestingly enough these fire standards in upholstery and bedding were a result of hard lobbying by the tobacco industry as people were falling asleep smoking years ago and burning themselves up. Rather than try to contain tobacco use, they pushed for chemicals to be used in bedding and upholstery. Since times have changed and less people smoke in bed and on their sofas, its a good time for state governments to look at these requirements and revise the laws to get toxic chemicals out of the home environment. The producers hands are tied on this - so if you want to effect change on this - write you legislators and make them aware of your concerns.
    Duane Collie

anaye Guest

Duane,

Do you know if we can request an order without flame retardants?

I think the SFGate article is a little over blown but still we have enough chemicals in our lives!

Thanks

There is no maker that can eliminate those fire retardants, its in the law books. If you want those out of your furniture, you have to get the laws changed starting with writing your state representatives. Sorry.
    Duane Collie

BevoGal Guest

I am not in Michigan, but I found this resource a few years ago after reading HOMES THAT HEAL (excellent book, by the way): http://www.mnceh.org/. It's true, you have to write your legislators.

If you want to really change your environment for the better, remember to use no-VOC paint, formaldehyde-free floors and cabinetry, solid wood furniture (no MDF), and even consider your car's interior. There are some cars that are far more toxic than others. This is another excellent resource: http://www.healthystuff.org/get-stuf...up-report=Cars. Cleaning products should be free of harmful chemicals, and children's toys should be natural and bpa-free/lead-free (this rule helps me keep a lot of "junk toys" out of the house!).

It can seem overwhelming, but making changes over time is not difficult. And every time you purchase something new, follow your chemical-free standards. Good luck!